LBJ school 2015 Applications & Admits

gradphil

I'm feeling nervous. I might have to go for a run! Either way I'll be celebrating the end of the waiting game tonight at some SXSW events!

As a native Austinite, anyone who gets in and decides LBJ is for them can feel free to ask me questions about the city!

I've had a hard time figuring out what the cost of living is like in Austin. For example, what can I expect to pay in rent for somewhere in a decent part of town, maybe walkable to downtown?

Hey MJA87,

If you want to live downtown downtown, it's going to be very expensive, but if you're willing to be a little way off of campus, it will cost in 650-850 range for a one bedroom.  There are lots of good deals - lots of people rent out rooms to UT students, and I am currently living in a house for $500 a month that is a 10 minute drive from campus.  There's lots of good options if you're willing to not be in the center of Austin!

I've had a hard time figuring out what the cost of living is like in Austin. For example, what can I expect to pay in rent for somewhere in a decent part of town, maybe walkable to downtown?

I would say average for a single person is around $800-$1000 a month. If you're looking to live in some of the trendier neighborhoods, we're talking about higher than that. But it's doable. Id recommend renting a house or apartment with more than one person. You could probably find a room for $500-$600 that way.

That being said, I've been living with my parents since I moved back from college in San Antonio. I can't afford living on my own here, unless I take up a part time job or want roommates. San Antonio is going to be the next Austin, mark my words. Much more affordable, and it's growing so fast.

The gentrification in Austin is also an extremely hot and controversial topic. Blacks and Latinos are being pushed out to make room for all the newcomers. Many natives look down on the rapid growth of Austin. Traffic is a seriously growing problem. Affordability obviously, too. Personally I've noticed the difference in people. So many rude people lately!

That being said, Austin is still a wonderful city. You'll find more genuine kindness and southern hospitality than not, and there's so much to see and do here! I would never advise against living here ultimately.

Hey Mueva, where did you go to school in San Antonio?  I just graduated from a school there too in 2013 :-)

Not yet, if they're anything like other schools, they're probably staggering the e-mails based on funding offers (at least, that's how I think they do it...)

Me too! Go Tigers!

No way! What was your major? I majored in Art History. Are you living in Austin? What other schools are you considering?

We can actually move this to a private convo so we don't clutter the thread, haha.

Edited by mueva

Are you for real? >.>

Lol, just wondering.

Yeah, for real. I don't know that I can handle that level of fake-out.

Edited by lxs_ale

no funding? I can't tell; if you got money does it say it somewhere in particular? I was referred to a veterans scholarship but I'm not a veteran.

I can't see anything on the my status page either - I think it will be sent via email with our admissions letter.

I can't see anything on the my status page either - I think it will be sent via email with our admissions letter.

You're in NY so I guess your status doesn't say anything about a Hazelwood Tuition Exemption, correct?

It actually does list that, even though I don't believe that I'm eligible.

Yeah, me neither. So I am guessing no funding, which is okay since I am in-state. Still pretty affordable w/out any $$.