Any Fall 2015 Admission applicants?

hrw5051

I just finished all of my applications for my AuD for fall 2015 start..... let the waiting game begin. Anyone else finish yet/ where are you applying to. I applied to UNC, Pitt, University of Cinci, Ohio University, Ohio State, Vanderbilt Kent State, and WVU. 

I submitted 5 of my 6 applications for my AuD beginning Fall of 2015 on December 7th. I applied to WVU, Pitt, Ohio University, Ohio State, and Akron so far.  I still have to submit my application to University of Wisconsin-Madison, but that application isn't on CSDCAS so I don't have to worry about the verification timeline.

I've submitted all of my applications and my CSDCAS application has been verified. My last recommender also submitted her letter today! Now I get to hurry up and wait. I applied to UNT, UT, UTD, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Pitt and Purdue. I had a phone interview with Texas Tech last week. 

What are your top choices?

Edited by cannondale

I haven't visited all of the schools I applied to, so I don't feel as though I can pick my top choices yet. However, I would be more than happy to attend any of the schools I applied to!  :)

Hey! Just out of curiosity because I'm from Texas too, I was wondering why you don't have to pay tuition/fees? Wishing you the best with it all! :)  

Applied: UT Dallas, UT Austin, UNT, University of Arizona, Arizona State, University of Tennessee, Vanderbilt, UNC-Chapel Hill, Auburn, and James Madison.

I qualify for the Texas Deaf/Blind Tuition Waiver because of my hearing loss.

Best of luck to you all!! Applied to six schools, listed in signature. Last letter of recommendation just came in on the 23rd of December; some deadlines are January 1st! I was waiting with baited breath! Now I'm waiting again. Excited to hear back about interviews and acceptances!! Hope everyone gets into their top choices :)

Hello I have applied to 8 programs.  I have a few loose ends to chase down, but they are almost all complete.  My choice of programs was largely location based.  I have competitive GRE scores (combined around 330) and an interesting background (I'm a professor of psychology and cognitive neuroscience).  My undergraduate GPA is not outstanding but lots of math and physical and biological science.

I applied to (in order of most desired location to least): Northern Illinois U, U W Madison, Iowa, Northwestern, U of I Champaign Urbana, Indiana Bloomington, Colorado Boulder, and Utah State (I'll get in-state tuition rates at the last two).

If and when I have a choice, funding and total cost to complete my AuD will be my primary consideration (including housing, cost of living, opportunity cost, etc. etc. etc.). I'm older, married, and have two kids - so I cannot take on debt.  Between my wife and I we are going to find a way to work our way through the 2 or 3 years of classroom learning.

Any information on funding experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by OldAuD

For those of you applying to Pitt, I received an email saying that they will begin their formal review process on January 15th and that their decisions will be emailed out by March 14th.

I'm glad to be done with all my applications, but the wait is already killing me and most of my deadlines haven't even passed yet!

I'm glad to be done with all my applications, but the wait is already killing me and most of my deadlines haven't even passed yet!

I know what you mean! I applied to Texas Tech early admission and the letters were sent out in late December but I haven't been in town to check my mailbox yet. I'm anxious to see what the letter says!

I know what you mean! I applied to Texas Tech early admission and the letters were sent out in late December but I haven't been in town to check my mailbox yet. I'm anxious to see what the letter says!

I hope you have good news waiting for you!

I agree! I think it will pick up as acceptances and interviews start coming in. Only two of my deadlines have passed, University of Iowa and Wichita State University, a few more deadlines pass on the 15th, then February 1st, then February 15th. The wait is agonizing!! 

It's especially agonizing as I'm married, and my husband cannot start looking for a job in our future city until we, of course, know which city we are moving to! Anyone else in that situation? I'm sure the timing will all work out but it's certainly added stress. Eager to start hearing back either way!

I agree! I think it will pick up as acceptances and interviews start coming in. Only two of my deadlines have passed, University of Iowa and Wichita State University, a few more deadlines pass on the 15th, then February 1st, then February 15th. The wait is agonizing!! 

It's especially agonizing as I'm married, and my husband cannot start looking for a job in our future city until we, of course, know which city we are moving to! Anyone else in that situation? I'm sure the timing will all work out but it's certainly added stress. Eager to start hearing back either way!

Yep I'm there with ya.

We even own a home.  We are putting it on the market to sell it.  And yet have no Idea what state we will be living in.  All of our friends and family know we are moving, but we might be getting closer to the family (hopefully) or possibly getting even farther away.

To make it even worse, because funding is the most important variable, I think I have to wait to hear from each program to make my decision.  I can't just go to a program because I was accepted and it has prestige - Instead, I have to think about how the family will pay the bills in each possible case. 

Yep I'm there with ya.

We even own a home.  We are putting it on the market to sell it.  And yet have no Idea what state we will be living in.  All of our friends and family know we are moving, but we might be getting closer to the family (hopefully) or possibly getting even farther away.

To make it even worse, because funding is the most important variable, I think I have to wait to hear from each program to make my decision.  I can't just go to a program because I was accepted and it has prestige - Instead, I have to think about how the family will pay the bills in each possible case. 

Oh goodness, owning a home would be even more difficult. Thank goodness we rent, our contract is up end of July, so it should work out ok. Same here... everyone knows we are moving, and could be closer or further away. I'd prefer not to move back to the same city his parents live in, but that is also the most prestigious program.

I agree... funding is of utmost importance. Although, if I get excellent funding such as a GA position at one of my top programs first, we might make the decision without waiting until April as some programs might take that long to respond. I also agree, funding is important... but it's a balance. I'm really hoping for one of my mid-range programs with funding, not the most expensive program with prestige, and also hopefully not the program in-state that's ranked one of the worst in the country with a lot of downsides. One thing... I was talking with someone on reddit, /r/audiology, and they said that IU Bloomigton has little to no funding opportunities this year, and also deals nearly exclusively in geriatric populations. Just something to keep in mind. 

I was talking with someone on reddit, /r/audiology, and they said that IU Bloomigton has little to no funding opportunities this year, and also deals nearly exclusively in geriatric populations. 

Yep I talked with Dr. Shofner over there and he said only very few possibilities for first year.  Second year is "never" funded students are too busy.  Third you are out on externship so no TAs RAs then either.  

I haven't given up though, because you are done a year earlier and starting to earn a living so that might actually offset those costs.  And since I probably only have a good 20 years of working ahead of me, each one does count.

Good Luck! 

I was in a similar position, as an older student (45) I debated between a three and four year program. Being less compressed, the four year program offers more breaks during the year which allows me to spend time with my wife and keep up with my home and the various responsibilites associated with being a home owner. I have found the program (any aud program I assume) to be extremely time consuming and demanding, I'm not sure I would be able to keep up with everything in a 3 year program. Good Luck.

Yep I talked with Dr. Shofner over there and he said only very few possibilities for first year.  Second year is "never" funded students are too busy.  Third you are out on externship so no TAs RAs then either.  

I haven't given up though, because you are done a year earlier and starting to earn a living so that might actually offset those costs.  And since I probably only have a good 20 years of working ahead of me, each one does count.

Good Luck! 

Interesting. That's very true... it is accelerated and that's another year to earn a salary. I see you're going back to school then! What did you do previously? I'm going back after two years teaching as a Teacher of the Deaf. Teaching is NOT for me. At least in this setting... I'm excited to start my new career!! Good luck to you as well!!

I see you're going back to school then! What did you do previously? I'm going back after two years teaching as a Teacher of the Deaf. Teaching is NOT for me. 

Well, for the last 7 years I've been a professor of cognitive psychology.  I like classroom instruction, so in that way I do like teaching.  Before that I was doing a lot of research.  I want to get my AuD to be able to work in a clinical and medical setting.  Helping people hear.  I like the idea of being able to live in just about any semi-metro area of the country and actually making a livable salary. (not always the case for profs.)

Also to respond to jj23: as for being able to keep up with accelerated - Maybe I'm fooling myself, but I'm so hung-ho to get a new start and a new challenge, I wouldn't mind getting tossed into the deep end. 

Q for jj23:  Any info about funding experiences that you could share?

Don't worry, you will be tossed into the "deep-end" in either program...14-16 hours of class and 12-20 hours of clinic time per week will more than fill your weeks. Don't forget labs, research, and studying. It is managable, and I am sure you will be fine. Regarding funding, I was offerred various levels of funding by each of the 4 programs I applied to, so it is availible. I would also suggest you discuss in-state tuition possibilities, I know all of the out of state students in my cohort pay in-state tuition rates.

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask!