Independent Study

Hi everyone,

I don't post here as much because I'm not applying until fall 2015.

I'd like some advice. I'm interested in social skills, cognition, and speech.

I really want to work with my professor. His research interests are basically social skills.

He focuses on school aged children, adolescents, and young adults with autism spectrum disorders.

He told me to come up with some research topics for an independent study.

I have 3 but I think it sounds dumb. Maybe I'm just scared..idk.

Can anyone give me any ideas for a topic regarding social skills? or ways to look for topics on social skills that needs more research on?

Thank you. I appreciate anything :)

Well what are your topics? They might not be dumb. Independent studies are usually just literature reviews (you look up research on your topic and write a paper) and not really actually doing research, so you might want to see what he thinks you'll be doing. If you'd rather actually be doing research, maybe see if you can assist in his lab while you write the paper? 

Within those skills what are you most interested in... it can go lots of ways... awareness of social skills, awareness of what certain situations require etiquette- wise, ability to detect emotion. So generally, if its just the paper, you're writing on something that has some research already, but then you can criticize it and say if more stuff needs to be known, etc. So you might not need to know what skills need more research (if its just the paper)..

I'd suggest looking at papers your professor has written, and look up names/papers of others that are listed on his research. See what his area of research is within social skills to get a better picture. That's not to say that if you find something more interesting you can't do it, he can still help but he might be more knowledgeable on his little area to show you were to look for papers. 

Well what are your topics? They might not be dumb. Independent studies are usually just literature reviews (you look up research on your topic and write a paper) and not really actually doing research, so you might want to see what he thinks you'll be doing. If you'd rather actually be doing research, maybe see if you can assist in his lab while you write the paper? 

Within those skills what are you most interested in... it can go lots of ways... awareness of social skills, awareness of what certain situations require etiquette- wise, ability to detect emotion. So generally, if its just the paper, you're writing on something that has some research already, but then you can criticize it and say if more stuff needs to be known, etc. So you might not need to know what skills need more research (if its just the paper)..

I'd suggest looking at papers your professor has written, and look up names/papers of others that are listed on his research. See what his area of research is within social skills to get a better picture. That's not to say that if you find something more interesting you can't do it, he can still help but he might be more knowledgeable on his little area to show you were to look for papers. 

I will PM you my topics.

And he doesn't actually work in the lab currently.

I'll look into his papers and consider everything else you told me.

Thank you