Applicants for Sping intake 2015 to Masdar Institute

boogy

Howdy!! Please share your profile (GRE, TOEFl/IELTS, GPA, Work experience, papers, rewards), department, date of submission of application, application status, and any news/updates regarding Masdar admission results.

GRE 309 (q160, AWA 3.5), TOEFL 94, 85% UG of Oil&Gas refinery, work experience 5 years, water and envir. engineering, application status: waitlist. Applied on November 3, got waitlisted on November 27.

Edited by boogy

Hi!

GRE Q161, V154, AWA 3.5, TOEFL 100, UG GPA3.82, technical GPA 4.00, , research experience: two years as research assistant in the relevant field, two scopus indexed papers, one ISI INDEXED paper, one reputable, international award. Masters GPA 3.80.

Applied to PhD Microsystems on 10 November. Was contacted by Masdar a couple of weeks ago to provide further details which I did. Now waiting for their response.

Hope to see more...

Hello,

I applied to Masdar on 11 November and they asked me two weeks ago for additional documents and since then, I didn't hear anything from them. They have told me that I will know in the next two weeks. Strange! As the semester starts on 11 January. Any updates for you?

Applied for Ms. Sustainable Critical Infrastructure. I have Ms. Civil engineering, 6 years experience. IELTS Acadamic 6.5. GRE Q 156

I mailed admission office 3 days ago, they said that chance of matriculation is slim, because of big pool of qualified applicants. My application status is still on waitlist. Engl.abla u better ask admission office and they will let u know about admission results.

A couple of days ago I asked the admissions office about the status of my application but they did not reply.

Engl.abla try your luck by asking the admissions office and please let us know what they said. Could you please share what kind of additional information Masdar asked for. In my case, they asked to fill a couple of forms and submit a few academic documents and copy of passport.

Thaks Arjus and Boogy. I will keep you posted.

They requested to fill two forms (introduction) . In addition they requested the following:

- passport size photograph (white background)

-Copy of highest qualification (degree)

-Copy of passport

- Copy of residence visa

- Copy of updated CV

Thanks eng.abla.

I shall let you know about my result. By the way, do anyone know about the amount of stipend MASDAR pays to a PhD student? Does being with family or being alone makes any difference on amount of stipend? Please share if you have any credible information as this affects my decision.

Sure! it says: "Your application has been positively reviewed and was shortlisted for admission"

I know that the stippend is 3000 Dhs for Masters students, but they provide accommodation which worth 4000 Dhs, and they find you part time jobs on campus which you get 2000 Dhs. So total 5000 Dhs per month.

For phd studens I belive around 6000 dhs. I don't believe single or married effect stippend. It is only reflected on accommodation.

Any way, if you were chosen they will give you all the information before you make your decision

Good luck

Thanks boogy. Congrats to you too because what I believe is that whoever gets accepted by the committee is not given a direct offer letter but is asked to fill the form and submit the documents etc. This is because in past Masdar used to give offer letters after a month or so of shortlisting and selection but when the candidates accepted the offer many were rejected by Masdar's (Abu Dhabi's) international (immigration) office after several weeks of accepting the offer causing bad reputation to Masdar. I believe Masdar now first evaluates you suitable for admission and then they gets approval from the relevant office before making any offer. This is my understanding. May be wrong.

Thanks

Hello,

I have sent MI email today and they replied to me mentioning that the final list has essentially been finalized and I am not selected. They have told me that I should seriously consider other options that I may have.

What a start for the new year!

Do you know any other places offer full time scholarships for master level for civil engineers?

The competition for admission to MI has been getting tougher since its 2011. And now according to my observation the GRE quant score of most admitted applicants is over 163. Certainly GRE is one of decisive factors.

Eng.Abla I believe u better retake GRE and get at least 160 on quant section of GRE. If you are citizen of UAE then you ll have better chance of admission since 45-55% of students are local.

For other universities with full scholarship you can find for example in this website: http://scholarshi.ps/

My application status is still the same- under processing; I got mail from MI saying that if some of admitted applicants cancels their offer which is very unlikely, then I can be offered their slot.

But even if I don't get admitted, I ll retake GRE and TOEFL and then apply, for third time , to MI.

Good Luck!

Thanks, boogy. I will check the link.

I am not UAE national but I live in UAE.They told me the same.

I will do my master in another place then I can reapply to MI for PHD. To me, I can't waste more time on this opportunity.

Good luck and wish all the best, boogy

eng.abla you must not get disappointed as this is part of life. Just to encourage you, I have been trying to get admission in PhD since 2010. And if luckily I get admission in MI it would be an end to my five years pursuit. I had got many admissions in the past even in US but my limitation was similar to yours that I needed funding. If I get unlucky this time, I will have to continue trying my luck again. BTW this is my first attempt at MI as they recently started PhD program. I would suggest you to get some research position at a relevant lab and try to publish a couple of good papers (scopus/ISI indexed conferences will do). With relevant research experience and publications your profile gets many plus points.

As I have experience with Malaysia I would recommend you applying to Universiti Malaya (UM), Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) or UKM. These are well reputable universities and have sound research infrastructure. These universities try to attract international students with lucrative fellowships/scholarships. I know USM has very good reputation as far as Chemical and Civil Engg go. Prof. Dr. Meor Othman Hamzah (http://civil.eng.usm.my/v3/index.php/staff/academic/114-professor-dr-meor-othman-hamzah) is a well known figure in civil engineering. He has joint appointment with some european university. USM also offers a lucrative fellowship called USM Global Fellowship (http://www.ips.usm.my/index.php/financialAssistance/uSMGlobalFellowship) to attract talented international students. I guess one who gets waitlisted at MI has enough potential to secure the USM Global Fellowship. Similarly, UM has a similar program called Bright Sparks program (http://brightsparks.um.edu.my/?modul=Programme&pilihan=Criteria%28s%29). This one is a little more competitive. P.S. both are for PhD studies. Hope this helps

All the Best to you and boogy.

World University Ranking - Subject: Civil and Structural Engineering (http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2014/engineering-civil-structural#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=)

USM ranks 89 in world's top civil engineering schools. While UKM, UPM and UTM rank in top 150. UM is in top 200. I believe, to be in top 400 list of QS ranking is a big deal as there are thousand of universities and research institutes in North American and Europe alone. Being in the list means these universities have surpassed most of the european and north american universities. Besides at PhD level what matter are your professor and the facilities you have at the lab.

Hope this helps

Regards

Hello Everyone

I'm new in this forum. I'm also an applicant to MI scholarship MS chemical engineering. My application status is under processing since when i recieved a mail from MI that i was placed on waitlist.

my status changed today, it reads as follows: Your application has been deferred to the next semester due to limited admissions slots. Admission for the next intake is not assured or guaranteed. Your application will be re-evaluated only after receiving your application again in the next admissions session.

Happy New Year to every one! May this new year be promising and fulfilling for each of us!

Dear boogy and eng.able

My application has been deferred to Fall 2015 admissions for the same reason as given to boogy. I thought I had a good chance here... I guess my five years search is still not over... ;-)

Dear Umar5 welcome to the forum. Please share your profile.

Thanks

• 2 years later...
On 1/1/2015 at 6:01 PM, ARJS said:

Dear boogy and eng.able

My application has been deferred to Fall 2015 admissions for the same reason as given to boogy. I thought I had a good chance here... I guess my five years search is still not over... ;-)

Dear Umar5 welcome to the forum. Please share your profile.

Thanks

Dear ARJS, based on your past experience I need advice from you. I applied for PhD position for fall-2017. I got shortlisted and at application window It is showing that your application is wait listed for phd position. What is this shortisted and wait listed criterion. do i have any chance of getting admission. what is the stipend for phd students in masdar . it is not mentioned anywhere in the website