Do programs contact you by phone?

aojfifjoaisjaiosdj

I got accepted via email, but I did get called by the director of a funding program at my university asking me to apply for the funding.  I'm glad I happened to answer the phone at that particular moment (I was at a conference).

Some definitely do call. I had people call to tell me I was admitted and to offer funding for me to visit the program. At the same time, I've gotten acceptances via email. If you do leave your phone in airplane mode, you may want to change your voicemail message to notify people that you can be reached immediately via email or another phone number, just in case.

I believe that the standard these days is usually by email and/or mail. I'm sure phone calls happen, but I think that typically your acceptance/denial into a program is given to you in written format just for the sake of documentation.

Indeed, they might call you first for a more personal touch and/or to answer any immediate questions but you don't have to worry about missing out on anything important without a phone. The official notification will generally come via email or snail mail.