No LOR from previous professors

kierrageray

How much do you think this would affect my chances of getting accepted? Just for some background: My undergraduate degree is in psychology but I am actually applying to a public administration program. It has been almost 2 years since I graduated and during this time I have been working in local government as the county wide elections and registration supervisor. I plan on having my letters written by some of my colleagues and thought already having some experience in the public sector may outweigh the fact that I won't have letters from former professors. Not sure if this matters or not but I will be applying to my alma mater in addition to 2 other schools.

In the grand scheme of things, two years post-grad isn't a long time. At least, not long enough to merit not having any LORs from former professors. Most schools want at least one academic ref, if not two, just because it proves that you can take on coursework. The employer ref is awesome for showing that you have practical experience, but it doesn't tell adcomms how you behave in a classroom or less pragmatic setting.

Is there a specific reason that you don't want LORs from your professors?

A lot of schools ask insist on at least one, and in some cases two or even all three of the letters being from former professors. I think having none will not look good - you probably want to limit it to one non-academic reference.

A number of the universities I've looked at closely have said something about it being acceptable not to have LoR from professors after five years of being out of school. Two years might not be enough time to get away with it.

I am in a somewhat similar situation, but all of my LORs are coming from professors. I am currently doing my Master's and all 3 of my LOR writers are professors in the school I am currently in. I didn't ask for any of my previous professors from the college I received my Bachelors. Do you think it will pose a problem or is it enough that all of my LORs are from academicians who know me well.

I should also note that it is my 2nd year in Master's, but I have spent 5 years as an undergrad. Do you think that they would expect at least one letter from my previous professors?

I am in a somewhat similar situation, but all of my LORs are coming from professors. I am currently doing my Master's and all 3 of my LOR writers are professors in the school I am currently in. I didn't ask for any of my previous professors from the college I received my Bachelors. Do you think it will pose a problem or is it enough that all of my LORs are from academicians who know me well.

I should also note that it is my 2nd year in Master's, but I have spent 5 years as an undergrad. Do you think that they would expect at least one letter from my previous professors?

No, I think it is good if you have them from your Masters instead.

It's not that I don't want any from my former professors I honestly just don't know if any of them would remember me.  I was a good student but not quite sure if I stood out enough to be remembered 2 years later.  I suppose I could reach out to a few anyways, it wouldn't hurt to try.

It's not that I don't want any from my former professors I honestly just don't know if any of them would remember me.  I was a good student but not quite sure if I stood out enough to be remembered 2 years later.  I suppose I could reach out to a few anyways, it wouldn't hurt to try.

If you ever went to at least one advising session, chances are they remember you. And if that's not the case, just prepare a packet: transcripts, notable projects/assignments you did in that course, and your resume. It helps to reach out way in advance so it doesn't seem like you're just begging for a letter. So send an email reaching out, stating what semester you took their course in, your grades, and what you're currently doing professionally. Tie that in to how their teaching helped you get to where you are, and why you think it's important that that particular professor writes you a letter.

Good luck! 

I've been out of undergrad for over four years and I still felt compelled to have one of my letters be from a former professor. It was somewhat embarrassing at first, as I never really had a relationship with this professor other than doing well in all three of his classes in undergrad, but I'm glad I asked him.

Professional letters are great and will help your overall application, but keep in mind you're applying to an academic program. They want to know that you can succeed in the classroom.

You'll need at least one academic reference, which means you'll need to ask one of your former professors for a reference. As awash_ has said, send a brief introductory email and then offer to send along a more complete packet of information. It may not be the strongest letter ever but it will be what you need.