UConn

bquinn

So, I went to the open house for UConn in November and was very impressed with their program. The fact that they have specializations in macro level work and international social work are huge for me. However... I haven't seen anyone on here applying there, and I'm wondering why? It seemed like an incredible program, but maybe you all know something I don't... any insight would be helpful!

I visited them and was impressed with the open house presentation. The financial office was also v v nice. For me it wasn't ultimately a big fit because they are mainly CBT/DBT (in my understanding, at least) and I was looking for something more psychodynamic or comprehensive. I think for macro they would be great though.

So, I went to the open house for UConn in November and was very impressed with their program. The fact that they have specializations in macro level work and international social work are huge for me. However... I haven't seen anyone on here applying there, and I'm wondering why? It seemed like an incredible program, but maybe you all know something I don't... any insight would be helpful!

This is a good message board to learn about admission's, but it is definitely geared around a handful of school. Reading this board with little knowledge would make me think that there aren't too many MSW programs.

I wanted to go to the open house, but I wasn't able to make it. How was it? I'm applying to the Fall 2015 cycle as well. I submitted a complete application on Dec. 4, and hopefully I'll hear something by Feb. 1. I applied to Michigan as well.

I wanted to go to the open house, but I wasn't able to make it. How was it? I'm applying to the Fall 2015 cycle as well. I submitted a complete application on Dec. 4, and hopefully I'll hear something by Feb. 1. I applied to Michigan as well.

I found it to be incredibly informative. I spoke with a current student in the Policy track and she really helped me gain insight on the program and the opportunities in it. I also spoke with some professors and students involved in the Center for International Social Work Studies, which I was also impressed by. I have heard mixed reactions to the school being selective or not; when I said my GPA (3.7) the Policy student I spoke with said I should have no problem getting in. Still unsure though!  I'll be applying next fall, but best of luck! Michigan is an excellent program as well!

• 1 month later...

I got in!! Don't know anything about the financial aid package though.

Congrats! What specialization did you apply for? Do you mind sharing your stats? It's my first choice when I apply in the fall and I'm nervous! 

Thanks. Absolutely. My stats weren't spectacular. I was a History/Philosophy major. My cum is a 2.9, but my last 60 was a 3.8. I applied and was accepted for the casework method. I still haven't received any financial aid package yet, but I'm pretty positive that I'll be attending. I'm bringing my family(Wife, two toddlers), so if you have any suggestions on family friendly towns, please share.

Congrats! The town all around campus (West Hartford) is really cool. Very family friendly. I wouldn't recommend moving towards downtown Hartford, though. Like any city, it's block by block as to how safe it is. Plainville and Southington are also good. I actually just moved to CT last summer when my husband took a new job up here and we ended up in Waterbury, which is not family friendly AT ALL, but we took our house sight unseen shopping from VA so we didn't know any better.
Since we live here and can't really move for me to go to school, this is my only application. I'm trying to go for Group Work, but I didn't turn my application in until the deadline (Jan 15) so who knows when I'll hear anything. The wait is AWFUL.

Thanks. Absolutely. My stats weren't spectacular. I was a History/Philosophy major. My cum is a 2.9, but my last 60 was a 3.8. I applied and was accepted for the casework method. I still haven't received any financial aid package yet, but I'm pretty positive that I'll be attending. I'm bringing my family(Wife, two toddlers), so if you have any suggestions on family friendly towns, please share.

How did they notify you of your acceptance? I've seen other people talk about buttons appearing on their app portal that gave them a heads up that a decision had been made up to a week before they actually got a letter or an email. I'm overanalyzing this, but this wait is killing me.

Thanks. This is really good to know. We are trying to live in a town between Stoors and West Hartford, so I'll have access to the SSW and the main campus. As for the decision notification, I received an e-mail that said a decision was made about my application, and then I clicked a link and it went to the acceptance letter.