Missed deadline

nuih

I thought the deadline for one application was Dec 15 omg... it's actually Dec 10. I just submitted my statement of purpose and CV, which were the only things missing. I am really tempted to email my POI, to find out whether I will get rejected right away or... What should I do?! 

edit: I just realized I don't even know how to start this email if I do ask my POI ... any ideas? Oh man, so much for my "improved" time management/organization skills I talked about in my statement...

Edited by nuih

Well... I panicked and quickly wrote to my POI about my late application before I had to leave the house a few hours ago. I wrote something like, I just submitted, and I know it's late. I'm going to contact the admissions office and ask about the status of my late application. Thank you for meeting with me back in November, and I hope you will consider me if I were to apply next year again...

After I sent that email, I read that they will still consider late applicants, but only if the spots aren't filled yet. I wonder how 3 days late will impact my chances or funding, or whatever...sigh. What a mess. Thanks for your reply though, Mathcat!

Are you applying directly to your POI/lab?  If not I would contact the program director as they are the ones who generally handle and disperse the applications...at least the U.S., anyways. 

Since the 10th was on a Wednesday, it could be possible the apps have already been dispersed for review over this weekend.   If you app, app fee, and LORs were in by the deadline you may be alright if Dec. 10 is not a hard deadline (a few of my programs have a deadline of Month Day but allow up to an additional month for GRE scores, LORs, etc. to come in).  

Thanks for the heads up Crucial BBQ. I'll contact the program director instead of the admissions office. The fee, LOR, and everything except my SOP and resume (which was not mandatory) was submitted. But I don't know if Dec 10 was a hard deadline. On their website, they only say do not miss the deadline and what my previous post said... guess I'll find out on Monday :(

Thank you xVii! Keep up the rechecking! I'm not going to slack off from now on either :( !! 

Just received a reply from my POI, if anyone's curious! She said you're most welcome (thanked her for meeting with me), and that she will consider my application for "this year or next" (next because I mentioned I would reapply if I'm not successful this year).

So it seems she, at least, will let it slide if my application is sent to the psych department ok.  

Are you applying directly to your POI/lab?  If not I would contact the program director as they are the ones who generally handle and disperse the applications...at least the U.S., anyways. 

Since the 10th was on a Wednesday, it could be possible the apps have already been dispersed for review over this weekend.   If you app, app fee, and LORs were in by the deadline you may be alright if Dec. 10 is not a hard deadline (a few of my programs have a deadline of Month Day but allow up to an additional month for GRE scores, LORs, etc. to come in).  

Do professors review applications over the weekend? I've been trying to imagine about how long it will take to hear from schools, and I've been factoring out the weekends thinking that graduate committees wouldn't be reviewing applications on the weekends. Sorry to detract from the original post, I'm just curious...

Do professors review applications over the weekend? I've been trying to imagine about how long it will take to hear from schools, and I've been factoring out the weekends thinking that graduate committees wouldn't be reviewing applications on the weekends. Sorry to detract from the original post, I'm just curious...

I don't really have an answer, but one of my POI contacted me on Saturday to book a time to chat about grad school.  From the conversation yesterday, I don't think he reviewed my application on that Saturday... the deadline was like 2 weeks ago, so there's that. But if I were to put myself in their shoes, I don't think they would review applications over the weekend unless they were REALLY REALLY hard-working? :s

Oh man, I really hope they let it slide!!  It's crazy to put off grad school for one year because of something minor like this.  :( I'm assuming this is your top choice school?

Thank you xVii!! I have good news! It turns out I had made the deadline by submitting the first part of the application with payment! The person also said that the documents can be uploaded past Dec 10... which is odd, but I guess it means they're not reviewing the applications until later  or something :) ! This school is sometimes my top choice, sometimes my second... but anyways I'm just happy that everything is okay again.