do I have a chance?

BlueBear

I'm in my final year of undergrad and I'm in exam time and currently in the application panic attack phase.

Here is my situation....

- First, I am older than the typical student; I'm in my thirties.  I am not sure if age makes a difference when applying but from what I see I am not sure.  Being older usually means more mature, but also means having a some baggage that may eat up some time.

- I used to work in a related area (software development) for 10 years.  I think that this helps

- My grades are ok... up until now I have a 82.4 average overall.  But the looking at my transcript is another thing, the variance with my grades is huge.  Either I get something or not so I have some 95+ and 80+ and a couple of 70s and two 65s.  Do people want students that are consistent? Or ones who have strong passions with some areas and need to take mild sedatives to cope with other classes.

- I have worked two summers doing research at a great place and will have two conference proceedings publications (once they are reviewed a second time in january).  I believe that this helps but from some of my profs they say is that anyone can get something into that conf. so its no big deal

- I am doing horrible in quantum this semester.  I submitted a thing late and got 0% on it; its worth a small chunk of my final grade.  It makes me cry each time I think about it.  I thought about burning the profs house down... well maybe.

- I think I can get one ref letter.  I am not sure about a second one.  Some profs at my school say that if you want a letter then you should work for them for free for a semester in their labs.  I can't afford to work for free.

I want to apply to programs that say they want a b+ average.  I'm old with bad teeth and if I do horribly in quantum maybe I can apply to this instead (yes I'm more than depressed): 

http://walmartcanada.ca/Assets/Content/forms/careers_retailpage.pdf

any thoughts...

- I think I can get one ref letter.  I am not sure about a second one.  Some profs at my school say that if you want a letter then you should work for them for free for a semester in their labs.  I can't afford to work for free.

any thoughts...

Not always, but sometimes to "work for free" means to volunteer just 4 or 6 hours a week. It depends on the lab, so check that out.