The program asks a separate abstract only--and will ask for the actual sample when interested

mseph

So one of the programs is actually asking a separate abstract, but not with the writing sample but only the abstract. And they say they will ask for the actual writing sample when they are interested. Did anyone have a similar experience? Did you submit just the abstract? I am very tempted to attach the abstract (4-5pgs) as part of my whole writing sample (before my intro, of course) and just submit them as part of my application. That way, it's easier for them and they don't have to ask another request in the future. But I am worried that they might judge me as someone who does not strictly follow the rules? Any thoughts?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do as you are asked. Submit the abstract. If they want to read more, they know how to contact you.

Are there guidelines for how long the abstract should be? If so, do not stray from them. If not, 4-5 pages sounds far too long. In my field, common standards are 500 words, 1 page, or 2 pages, with the most frequent being 2 pages (12pt font, 1 inch margins). If there are no specifics, I suggest you follow the standards in your field.