Insights into These Comp/Rhet Programs?

Hi Everyone,

I've been kind of absent from this site for a few months. Juggling eighteen hours and a research scholarship has certainly kept me busy, and my grad plans have undergone some changes since I last posted. I'm still working on my application (I'll be finalizing my statement of purpose to send off this week; I plan to get all my applications done before the holidays). I'm still on the composition and rhetoric track, although my schools have changed somewhat. I was wondering if anyone here has any insights into these programs, specifically about their MA rhet/comp divisions. I'm applying to: 

University of Arizona

University of Kansas

Purdue University

Oklahoma State University (my current institution)

University of Oklahoma 

Here's my basic profile if it would help anyone:

The information on this post is still accurate, so info like GPA, research experience, and conference participation hasn't changed. Honestly, though, I think it's highly likely I'll end up staying in state just because of financial reasons, but I'm still applying out of state to see what happens. 

Any advice would be great! Thanks! 

This is for an MA, right? Honestly, any of those programs will be fine, as long as they fit what you want to do. I'm biased against programs situated inside English departments, like UO, which at least until last year required a LitCrit class for Comp/Rhet. I'm in a tech-heavy program, though, so that's where my bias shows. I think, at least at the MA, it's far more important that you do good work than where you are doing it.

For what it's worth, Purdue has the best "name" value on that list. Heck, I can think of three or four programs that probably don't exist without Patricia Sullivan.

I don't know much about the MA program at Arizona, but I can tell you that overall, the RCTE program is fantastic there. Supportive faculty and colleagues, a real interest in the real-world applicability of research. I was accepted into their PhD program, and I was extremely impressed by the program. The DGS (then) Ken McAllister is a lovely man, and my friends in the program seem to really enjoy the teaching and research opportunities. 

Hi bhr,

Yes, it's for an MA. I'm planning on obtaining a PhD later on, so looking at MA programs with funding is crucial for me. Purdue is my dream school of the ones on the list, but we'll see. Not sure if my package will be competitive enough, but I figure I need to at least apply and may be surprised at the result. If I'm accepted and I'm given a sizable amount of financial aid, I'll take it. If not, I'll just end up where I need to be. 

Hi proflorax,

That's reassuring about Arizona. Not sure how I feel living in the desert, but I'm interested in what the program has to offer. What I'm looking for is a program that really stresses FYC, but is also comfortable with interdisciplinary approaches to research. (I bring this up because my research scholarship and honors thesis combines neo-formalist poetry analyses, church history, and 19th century medical literature. Any program that isn't adverse to me bringing in multiple influences is very attractive to me. That's just how my brain works). 

Thanks guys!

Edited by Litgirl23

That's a great list. As always, funding should be a very important criterion. As you know, Purdue R/C funds all of our MA students, although the stipend is low ($1,350 your first year with an option to work 3/4 time after that, bringing your monthly paycheck around $2,000). Please let me know if you have any questions about Purdue. PMs are fine.

Thanks ComeBackZinc,

Yes, I may PM you about some questions about Purdue. Actually, I do have some concerns about the housing around the university. In fact, housing pricing and proximity to the campus was one of the main reasons I rejected some schools (I don't envision myself owning a car in the next year or so). 

Also, and this is a question anyone should feel free to answer, but is there any benefit to having your application sent out early? Along with my crazy schedule and some minor health problems, I didn't send out my applications as early as I would have liked. Does anyone predict this could be a problem for acceptance and/or funding? 

Also, and this is a question anyone should feel free to answer, but is there any benefit to having your application sent out early? Along with my crazy schedule and some minor health problems, I didn't send out my applications as early as I would have liked. Does anyone predict this could be a problem for acceptance and/or funding? 

So long as you applied by the deadline, when exactly you apply will not affect either your chances of acceptance and/or funding.

And to answer your question regarding Arizona: I was accepted there two years ago (for Lit, not Rhet/Comp), and I ultimately turned down their offer because of the teaching load. As their DGS explained to me then, they hit you with a 2/2 teaching load right out of the gate, which can be really overwhelming for a first time teacher. Having said that, I know their RhetComp faculty are really well respected and have clout in the field, so you should weight that against the teaching load. 

I do have some concerns about the housing around the university

Let's chat! I've actually helped people from GradCafe find housing in the area in the past so feel free to contact me.

is there any benefit to having your application sent out early?

From what I understand, 99 times out of 100, they won't even know you turned your application in early. Don't sweat it.

Thanks Ramus,

Maybe I looked at this, but simply forgot, but it's good to know about the 2/2 class load. I'll definitely consider this, especially since I'll be away from home. The program at OSU has students work in the writing center before they teach their first class (I believe during this time you observe experienced teachers). It seems most of the programs have you only teach one course, so I'm kind of surprised about Arizona's policy. Glad I'm getting good vibes about the program though; before an instructor recommended it to me, I hadn't seriously considered it. 

I opted not to accept an offer from Purdue, but their package for the MA was slightly larger than I have here (I think ~$1000 over 9 months). FWIW, I took a small ($5k) loan out when I started, mostly to cover relocation/startup cost and with my stipend and a little side work I'm getting bills paid and living less hand-to-mouth than I expected.

bhr,

That's reassuring about Purdue's stipend. Getting to Indiana from Oklahoma might be an issue, but my parents and I have talked about driving out there if I'm admitted and decide to attend. One thing that always worried me about Purdue was the sheer size of the school itself. I graduated from an urban community college and then moved to a state university (not huge, but not small either), so I'm somewhat concerned about getting overwhelmed on a larger campus. 

BowTiesAreCool,

Thanks for your insights about OU's programs; I'm assuming students spend three years on the MA because they aren't getting the courses they need to graduate in two years, right? I was told by several professors at OSU that our program is actually gaining some traction in the field, and that if I remember correctly, OU hasn't replaced some rhet/comp positions that are now empty. So, I'm wondering if OSU might actually be a stronger program in the long term than OU, even though OU has traditionally had a stronger rhet/comp program. 

I'm an MA student at OU right now, so I can give you some insights here. We are replacing those positions, though they are empty right now. OU takes 3 years because it's 2/2 course load (though that is in talks to change, but probably won't happen by next fall - who knows though?). There's actually some benefits to that, though. While 3 years is a pain, it does mean more opportunities. At other places, teaching/other positions often go to PhD students first. That doesn't happen as much at OU - MA students are right in the mix for all positions, and even get them over PhD students at times. My CV is super diverse because I've had more time and experience than most MA students at other universities. Because of that, OU places MA students at the top programs for PhD; we kind of have a reputation as an MA factory, where we take students and put them into really great places. I'd actually say that if you were looking to come here for your PhD, you might think about somewhere else, but if you're thinking about coming here just for a MA and then applying out, it's a great place to do that.

On the admin side of things, many of the admins got replaced last year and our relationship with them has improved 100%. Last year was very shaky, but the new administration has been much better. So there's also that.

bhr,

That's reassuring about Purdue's stipend. Getting to Indiana from Oklahoma might be an issue, but my parents and I have talked about driving out there if I'm admitted and decide to attend. One thing that always worried me about Purdue was the sheer size of the school itself. I graduated from an urban community college and then moved to a state university (not huge, but not small either), so I'm somewhat concerned about getting overwhelmed on a larger campus. 

I get that, completely. I went from a 4000 student campus (that didn't seem that big), to a 50,000+ campus, and it's overwhelming. There are freshmen lecture classes that are larger than my graduating class.

The thing I'm realizing, however, is that there are opportunities that a large school provides that my small school never could. In addition, if the department/grad program is close than it doesn't feel that big, as you don't really branch out as much as an undergrad. The biggest adjustment to me was learning that I couldn't just get to campus five minutes early and get to where I needed to be.