Post Interview Acceptance Rates

bsharpe269

Those of us who have been offered interviews are all probably wondering how likely we are to be accepted after interviews. If anyone has any info on the percentage of people admitted relative to those interviewed for particular schools, would you mind posting here so that we can get a feel for our odds? For example, students who interviewed last year may be able to share the number of students at the interview and the number who the school ended up offering admission to last year.

I know Yale BBS is ~50% of interviewees are accepted, but that may vary year to year. They are one of the more selective post-interview programs to my knowledge.

UCSF BMS this year is interviewing ~80 people looking to accept at max 60, for approximately a 75% post-interview acceptance rate. You'll find most schools are in this range.

So this is just anecdotal, but everyone that I know who has ever applied to Ohio State who has gotten an interview has gotten in - they just all happened to go to different institutions for their grad degrees instead.

Also, from what I've heard, the Indiana University Microbiology department accepts almost everyone they interview. The interview is essentially to make sure you're not crazy and that the reason you took a year off wasn't to smoke pot and play video games (A professor of mine once was on admissions at IU's program - true story of an interviewee that he once met- needless to say that person got rejected)

I have been wondering about this as well, so thank you for posting about it, bsharpe269. 

For people who interviewed last year or have been through this process, do you have any advice to offer in terms of things that you think either got you an offer or got you rejected post-interview? Aside from the obvious, I guess--be respectful and kind, appropriately dressed, etc. Or do you have a sense of things you absolutely should or should not do that may make a difference in getting accepted? 

I'm particularly nervous because I have my first interview at one of my top choices--I would have preferred to have more "practice" first, so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I know I came across a few programs that interviewed in the neighborhood of 25 to 30 and accepted 5 to 10. I think Cornell's EEB program may have been one of them. So that's in the range of 25-30%. Ecology programs tend to be small and selective, though, so some of the other biology programs may have higher rates.

I have been wondering about this as well, so thank you for posting about it, bsharpe269. 

For people who interviewed last year or have been through this process, do you have any advice to offer in terms of things that you think either got you an offer or got you rejected post-interview? Aside from the obvious, I guess--be respectful and kind, appropriately dressed, etc. Or do you have a sense of things you absolutely should or should not do that may make a difference in getting accepted? 

I'm particularly nervous because I have my first interview at one of my top choices--I would have preferred to have more "practice" first, so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Which one is in your top choices?

It varies widely depending on the program. I spoke with a professor who had been on the adcom for a large umbrella program as well as a small, tightly focused program. He said the former would interview a large number of people and only admit a small proportion, whereas the smaller program only invited people they planned on accepting to the interview.

It varies widely depending on the program. I spoke with a professor who had been on the adcom for a large umbrella program as well as a small, tightly focused program. He said the former would interview a large number of people and only admit a small proportion, whereas the smaller program only invited people they planned on accepting to the interview.

This is nice to know. A few of my schools have umbrella programs, but I applied to their specific programs.

I wonder if funding has anything to do with it? A well-funded program can afford to fly more people out, at the very least. Whether they actually do this is unknown to me. 

I've heard that some people ask the program directly (usually following an invitation to interview) what percentage of interviewees is usually accepted. But I've also heard countless times that the key to an interview is to not screw up in some way. Surely this can't account for everyone who gets rejected after an interview, though, so I'll just keep wondering...

If anyone has any info about the schools that I'm interviewing at, I would really appreciate it.

it is really hard to guess this number if not nearly impossible without being privy to everything in the department as well as everyone that applied.  Here are some things to consider:  Funding, previous year's invite/accept ratios...if they typically invite 10 and get 5 and the want 6 they'll offer to 12.  Now sometimes that can change and they extend 12 offers assuming they get 6 and wind up with 10 accepting!  That means the program is moving up but it means they need to alter their approach.  The following year they may need to "make up" that imbalance by extending fewer than normal invites.  Typically they have a preferred class size.  Also in many larger programs such as umbrellas or even just any program that have rotations they need to balance their classes.  this means that lets say as a neuroscience person there is a group that works more on neurochemistry and another that is more neuronal development.  Well if you took a class with a bunch of chemists and there aren't a lot of profs taking chemistry focused students then they need to reduce the number of that focused group.  Also keep in mind that programs are sometimes alloted a specific number of slots they can offer by the larger departments or graduate school.  If that is the case they may not know their number until they go in an fight for spots (I know programs have told me they have to do this and for whatever reason certain programs always get more spots than others).

What I'll say is this above all what I have stated:

Every interview I went to, I was accepted.  i had fun.  the interview process is more fun than you realize.  After you get your first acceptance...which you will, and it will happen while you are still interviewing....you'll feel so relieved that you have a spot for sure and you'll start to actually enjoy meeting with potential faculty, meeting your potential classmates, visiting around new cities.  relax and have fun.  Prepare for your interviews, read about the people you are interviewing with, be ready to talk about your research, why you want to go there, what things interest you...and then after that just enjoy it.  You'll get in...now sit back and relax because this will be one of the most enjoyable parts of grad school!

The Neuroscience chair at Utah just called me to talk about the program and any concerns/questions I might have (they had already emailed me an invite to interview) and they told me that 20 students are interviewing and that the program's desired entering class size is 10, so I'm feeling pretty good about it based on what you said, peachypie.

One of the interview days at Utah is spent skiing/learning how to ski with the current grad students! I know this shouldn't shape my decision-making but I've always wanted to learn how to do some sort of winter sport. I'm starting to feel like interviews might actually be a lot of fun.

One of the interview days at Utah is spent skiing/learning how to ski with the current grad students! I know this shouldn't shape my decision-making but I've always wanted to learn how to do some sort of winter sport. I'm starting to feel like interviews might actually be a lot of fun.

Oh dear. I hope something like this doesn't happen to me. I'm down with hiking, canoeing, or something else I already know how to do, but I would be completely mortified if I was taken out skiing. I haven't skied since I was about 11, and it didn't go well for me back then!

Oh dear. I hope something like this doesn't happen to me. I'm down with hiking, canoeing, or something else I already know how to do, but I would be completely mortified if I was taken out skiing. I haven't skied since I was about 11, and it didn't go well for me back then!

I've never been, and am generally just a boring fair-weather sometimes-runner. It's not something I'm proud of. I cook and knit and smother my 20 pound lap-cat. I hope I don't break all of my bones.

Utah's the only place I've heard of that has a physical activity component of the interview. Most interviews just involve city/campus tours, and feature some attempt to get you intoxicated so that all of your true feelings come gushing out to stand trial.  

Edited by pasteltomato

When I interviewed, post-interview acceptance rate at UCSF BMS was ~1/3, and at Yale Microbio ~1/2. But this isn't as predictable year to year, or even within an umbrella, as you might guess. Programs often adjust their acceptance rates based on the size of last year's class, but then don't adjust the number interviewed as they often traditionally recruit X number of weekends with X recruits - just because they know that works well and have the logistics down. And especially programs within umbrella groups can have weird rules. For example, at my program, the broader umbrella group decides the number of acceptances each program will send out each year, based on the target class size but programs also get bonuses for the number of their first-years that won the NSF (and are thus free), or accepting students who fulfill diversity criteria. The programs then indvidually choose how many students they will interview. 

I've heard they usually give you a few activities to choose from. For Utah, my friend was offered to either go hiking or skiing for example. Other places might offer you to go to a brewery or go explore the city, this I know MIT Bio did last year. So you really should not worry about this. Also, you don't have to be amazing at any of these activities, the point is to do something fun with the students/faculty so you get to know them in a more casual setting.

I've heard they usually give you a few activities to choose from. For Utah, my friend was offered to either go hiking or skiing for example. Other places might offer you to go to a brewery or go explore the city, this I know MIT Bio did last year. So you really should not worry about this. Also, you don't have to be amazing at any of these activities, the point is to do something fun with the students/faculty so you get to know them in a more casual setting.

That sounds like fun! I'm looking forward to my one interview weekend

I have a question for people that have been to these interviews: Is it anything like a job interview where you have a designated time and it's you vs. the committee? I feel I'm missing something essential about these interviews when my POI talks about it. I have a feeling it's much more casual than that...

I have a question for people that have been to these interviews: Is it anything like a job interview where you have a designated time and it's you vs. the committee? I feel I'm missing something essential about these interviews when my POI talks about it. I have a feeling it's much more casual than that...

At both universities where I interviewed they scheduled one on one sessions with various professors (3-4) for about half an hour each. In my mind, this was the meat of the interview where we discussed my interest in the program, aspirations, and my abilities. I never had a time when I was alone with a committee, however I did meet with one committee member during the one on one sessions.

Outside of that, there were talks about the structure of the program, tours of the campus and some of the facilities, and food (including dinner in the evening at a local restaurant). Naturally, all of it matters, but I found the one on one sessions to be the most stressful while also being the more valuable. Also do take advantage of any time you are given alone with the current graduate students.

So, I haven't been to an interview yet, but I know people that have, and from what I hear, and this schedule one of my schools sent me, this is what an interview weekend looks like:

THURSDAY

Late afternoon             Arrival in X city, dinner with graduate student hosts

FRIDAY

9:00 – 9:45 AM          Breakfast & welcoming remarks, X Place, X Building

10:00 - 11:15 AM       Tours of labs and facilities in X area

11:30 - 12:30 PM       Faculty talks – X Building, Room X

12:30 - 1:30 PM         Lunch, X place, Y Building

1:30 - 5:00 PM           One-on-one meetings with faculty

6:00 PM                      Dinner at the Fancy Restaurant

9:00 PM – 1:00 AM   Social event with current graduate students

SATURDAY

11:00 - 12:00 PM       Student Speakers— X Room, X Building

12:00 - 1:00 PM         Student Panel Discussion and Lunch—Current Program Students will talk about who they are and why they chose to come to the Fancy Program

1:30 –5:00PM            Tours in the City Area — Prospective students select the tour that interests them

5:00PM                       Meet at X Hall to leave for faculty homes for dinner.

5:30 PM – 7:30PM     Current students take prospective students to faculty homes for dinner

8:00-11:00 PM           Dessert and drinks at Fancy Location

SUNDAY

Departure                    Program student hosts take prospective students to airport, train, etc.

At both universities where I interviewed they scheduled one on one sessions with various professors (3-4) for about half an hour each. In my mind, this was the meat of the interview where we discussed my interest in the program, aspirations, and my abilities. I never had a time when I was alone with a committee, however I did meet with one committee member during the one on one sessions.

Outside of that, there were talks about the structure of the program, tours of the campus and some of the facilities, and food (including dinner in the evening at a local restaurant). Naturally, all of it matters, but I found the one on one sessions to be the most stressful while also being the more valuable. Also do take advantage of any time you are given alone with the current graduate students.

So, I haven't been to an interview yet, but I know people that have, and from what I hear, and this schedule one of my schools sent me, this is what an interview weekend looks like:

THURSDAY

Late afternoon             Arrival in X city, dinner with graduate student hosts

FRIDAY

9:00 – 9:45 AM          Breakfast & welcoming remarks, X Place, X Building

10:00 - 11:15 AM       Tours of labs and facilities in X area

11:30 - 12:30 PM       Faculty talks – X Building, Room X

12:30 - 1:30 PM         Lunch, X place, Y Building

1:30 - 5:00 PM           One-on-one meetings with faculty

6:00 PM                      Dinner at the Fancy Restaurant

9:00 PM – 1:00 AM   Social event with current graduate students

SATURDAY

11:00 - 12:00 PM       Student Speakers— X Room, X Building

12:00 - 1:00 PM         Student Panel Discussion and Lunch—Current Program Students will talk about who they are and why they chose to come to the Fancy Program

1:30 –5:00PM            Tours in the City Area — Prospective students select the tour that interests them

5:00PM                       Meet at X Hall to leave for faculty homes for dinner.

5:30 PM – 7:30PM     Current students take prospective students to faculty homes for dinner

8:00-11:00 PM           Dessert and drinks at Fancy Location

SUNDAY

Departure                    Program student hosts take prospective students to airport, train, etc.

This helps a lot, thanks!

I'm glad it's one on one meetings rather than a group. I do better one on one. I feel better prepared.

• 2 weeks later...

Not going to Utah for an interview, but I've hiked there and it is an amazingly beautiful state! Seriously considered applying just for the possibility of going back for an interview, but there was only one lab that would've really worked for me in the program.

For those wondering, here is what UCSF's interview schedule looks like (in terms of events, not times).

THURSDAY:

- Recruits arrive, greeted by host students

- Journal club followed by dinner/happy hour

- Tour of campus

FRIDAY:

- Welcome by program, information session + breakfast

- 4 interviews (30 minutes each)

- Lunch with hosts

- 2 interviews (30 minutes each)

- Housing tour

- Poster session

- Dinner at professor's house

- Bar outing/dessert

SATURDAY:

- Diversity panel (optional)

- Breakfast

- Q&A with current students

- Mini symposium introducing recruits to faculty research

- Tour of second campus/housing

- Day events: Tour of San Francisco, hiking, or wine tasting

- Student hosted party

SUNDAY:

- Departure

Most schools have a similar schedule!

Hi everyone, long-time lurker here. This forum has definitely been a much-appreciated source of sanity and guidance throughout this stressful application process! I was just wondering if anyone had any insight on how much GRE scores factor into getting an acceptance post-interview? Or, I guess to be more specific, I'm worried that having a far from stellar quant. GRE will seriously count against me, even if my interviews go relatively well...

Hi everyone, long-time lurker here. This forum has definitely been a much-appreciated source of sanity and guidance throughout this stressful application process! I was just wondering if anyone had any insight on how much GRE scores factor into getting an acceptance post-interview? Or, I guess to be more specific, I'm worried that having a far from stellar quant. GRE will seriously count against me, even if my interviews go relatively well...

Once you've gotten an interview your stats are far less important. Don't worry about it.