How much does GPA & GRE matter after you have been invited to interview?

notJustin

How much does your GPA or GRE scores matter after a school has invited you to interview for their program?  Is everyone more or less on an even playing field, or is there still a preference towards excepting people with better stats?

If you make it to the interview stage that means you are qualified. I wouldn't fret about GPA or GRE at this point. The key is to be enthusiastic and to get along with the people currently in the program (faculty and students). And to have fun, that is important.

Congrats for getting to the interview stage!

Don't talk to the students about your low GPA or GRE or else when the faculty members ask the students what they thought, if they had no interaction besides talking to you about low GPA GRE, then thats all the info they will be able to pass forward.

Play up your strengths and just be genuinely enthusiastic about research. If you ever get in a position where you don't really understand someones field, ask them about their project, the limitations, what techniques they most enjoyed learning, etc.

Have fun AND DO NOT GET DRUNK! I cannot tell you how awful and how many interviewees come through and get wasted, sleep with each other, with a student in the program.. ugh.... gross. I am not joking. 

Keep us updated :)

Congrats for getting to the interview stage!

Don't talk to the students about your low GPA or GRE or else when the faculty members ask the students what they thought, if they had no interaction besides talking to you about low GPA GRE, then thats all the info they will be able to pass forward.

Play up your strengths and just be genuinely enthusiastic about research. If you ever get in a position where you don't really understand someones field, ask them about their project, the limitations, what techniques they most enjoyed learning, etc.

Have fun AND DO NOT GET DRUNK! I cannot tell you how awful and how many interviewees come through and get wasted, sleep with each other, with a student in the program.. ugh.... gross. I am not joking. 

Keep us updated :)

Thank you so much for the advice!!!!  :)

It means it is likely  not an issue at this point, but be prepared to discuss it since a particularly low gre or gpa may get discussed in an interview.  Basically i would say this, some programs or people may care and they may inquire further about Why if it is an anomaly based on your other application stats why you scored so low or performed worse.  my advice is this:  be ready to cite personal evidence of why you don't think that adequately reflects you, bring up anything you've done that proves contrary.  don't give an excuse such as "I was the first person in my family to go to college, I struggled with adjusting to college, I am not a good test taker (unless you have a diagnosed issue like dyslexia), something happened while i was in college that made it difficult to succeed".I would advise not to bring it up unless it is brought up.  Handle it with maturity and remain confident.  i think a way to maturely go about discussing it would be to not make an excuse, explain what you can, show how this is different and keep it matter of fact.  

The main problem is people getting drunk and making a fool of themselves. If you know you can handle your alcohol, getting a little drunk won't hurt your chances and may help you out with the grad students. However despite what you might think there are always a few recruits who do get drunk and act creepy/sleep with others/pass out or throw up everywhere/get racist and that will almost automatically ruin your chances.

But honestly, moderation is key with alcohol at interviews. It is offered a lot so be sure to curb your thirst.