WWS 2015

PolicyGrad92

A nervous question here. Has anyone received the "Application is complete" update from WWS yet? It has been 17 days since the deadline and I have no news.

As per my information, WWS does not notify applicants of their status being complete or incomplete. It only notifies the outcome. As a matter of personal satisfaction however, you can log into the system and view if you have all the items such as test scores and LORs on file.

I wouldn't worry about it. They may just be slow updating the website (they have a lot of applications).  In my experience, WWS was very good about letting me know if something was missing, so the fact that you haven't heard is probably good. It's nearly Christmas holidays here, so if it still says your letters are missing after January 1, then I would get in touch.

Yup I wouldn't worry either. If things haven't been updated by early January I would follow up with an email.  Good luck to everyone and have a great Christmas break - no point worrying now, it's out of your hands :)

Hi everyone... 

Merry X'mas.. hope everyone is having wonderful holidays...

I was browsing through the Gradcafe forum and hit upon a discussion where the consensus seems to be that not waiving right to access the Letter of Recommendations is almost a kiss of death as far as admissions go. Unfortunately, I have already said NO to the question about waiver of the right on the WWS application. So here I am wondering if I have inadvertently scored an own goal by not waiving my right to access the LoRs ?? 

Also, how much do the adcoms frown upon  spelling or grammatical mistakes by the recommenders in their LoRs? 

thanks !!

Edited by Policykid

Hi everyone... 

Merry X'mas.. hope everyone is having wonderful holidays...

I was browsing through the Gradcafe forum and hit upon a discussion where the consensus seems to be that not waiving right to access the Letter of Recommendations is almost a kiss of death as far as admissions go. Unfortunately, I have already said NO to the question about waiver of the right on the WWS application. So here I am wondering if I have inadvertently scored an own goal by not waiving my right to access the LoRs ?? 

Also, how much do the adcoms frown upon  spelling or grammatical mistakes by the recommenders in their LoRs? 

thanks !!

I don't think they care much about spelling and grammar mistakes by recommender as long as they are not extreme or pervasive.

Source: i work in admissions counseling for all types of masters programs. My students are from Eastern Europe and the recommendation letters tend to have mistakes here and there. The adcomms know that English is not the writers first language, and they aren't judging the rec writer for admission, so the content is much more important.

Not waiving your access is not necessarily kiss of death, but it's not good. You might want to email adcomms to let them know that you selected that by mistake and couldn't change it, and that you haven't reviewed your rec letters, if this is the case.

I thought about emailing them but wasn't too sure. Will probably go ahead and do that now. The fact is that I did not waive them for the following reasons -

1. I had no role in composing my LoRs since my two professional recommendations are from my clients, and one from a previous professor who has since then been promoted to the office of the Director of my law school. There was no way I was going to ask them to share a draft of their letters before uploading. So I thought, well why give up the right to see what they wrote at an appropriate time if I can. 
  2. Being a lawyer, it is a bit of occupational habit for me to not veer towards waiving away my rights. At any rate I discussed with my references that I may have access to their letters at a later stage if I am admitted and I enrol. They did not mind it at all. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts MsFutureDiplomat.. Have you sent in your app to Jackson Yale yet? 

I don't think they care much about spelling and grammar mistakes by recommender as long as they are not extreme or pervasive.
Source: i work in admissions counseling for all types of masters programs. My students are from Eastern Europe and the recommendation letters tend to have mistakes here and there. The adcomms know that English is not the writers first language, and they aren't judging the rec writer for admission, so the content is much more important.

Not waiving your access is not necessarily kiss of death, but it's not good. You might want to email adcomms to let them know that you selected that by mistake and couldn't change it, and that you haven't reviewed your rec letters, if this is the case.

I thought about emailing them but wasn't too sure. Will probably go ahead and do that now. The fact is that I did not waive them for the following reasons -

• I had no role in composing my LoRs since my two professional recommendations are from my clients, and one from a previous professor who has since then been promoted to the office of the Director of my law school. There was no way I was going to ask them to share a draft of their letters before uploading. So I thought, well why give up the right to see what they wrote at an appropriate time if I can. 
  • Being a lawyer, it is a bit of occupational habit for me to not veer towards waiving away my rights. At any rate I discussed with my references that I may have access to their letters at a later stage if I am admitted and I enrol. They did not mind it at all. 
Thanks for sharing your thoughts MsFutureDiplomat.. Have you sent in your app to Jackson Yale yet?

Makes total sense. You should email them exactly what you wrote here, and I am sure they will understand.

Yes, I finished the Jackson app, and it will be a long wait to hear back from them. The small size of the program really appeals to me! But I am realistic about my chances, I don't think I have a strong enough undergraduate transcript for them. Have you sent yours? Best of luck!

Makes total sense. You should email them exactly what you wrote here, and I am sure they will understand.

Yes, I finished the Jackson app, and it will be a long wait to hear back from them. The small size of the program really appeals to me! But I am realistic about my chances, I don't think I have a strong enough undergraduate transcript for them. Have you sent yours? Best of luck!

Happy New Year to everyone..  

@MsFuturediplomat ; I shall be sending in Jackson today. Its a very small program so I don't really know my chances. As for undergrad degree, I have no clue where i stand since we didnt have 4.0 gpa system. So I dont quite know how I compare to others.. I had an integrated dual degree Bachelor of Arts & Bachelor of Laws degree. Scored 66.5 % aggregate.. How about you? 

I am an Engineering graduate from one of the top schools of India. MPA, Princeton was the first program I applied for. Though I have had fulfilling stints of work experience, I have few concerns:

A. When I looked my 4 page SOP I realized that I had devoted one page to discuss my childhood in poverty that impacted me to think about Public service. The second page was about the undergraduate experience of working in an NGO in the campus vicinity. The third page was about the current experience in Government as a Prime Minister fellow. And fourth page on Why Princeton, the areas of interest and my future goals. Now, I see that I have poorly related my goal and it is not specific. Also there is not a clear spike in my application but a generic connection.

B. In the supplemental question I mentioned about the inferiority complex I had instilled in myself due to my poor background and I faced problems in adjusting among my classmates. This affected my grades poorly. I mentioned about the problems I had faced while being poor. I think adcoms may take it negatively and think that the same trend may be repeated at WWS as I didn't explain how I came out of inferiority complex.

C. GPA 7.01 On 10.0

The above three points may seriously jeopardize my chances of making to WWS.

D. Gre V 165 Q 166 AW 3.5

E. 4.5 Years of work experience with Government.

F. 3 Years of voluntary experience.

I have serious anxiety on how I messed up WWS application. I now see simply how great it could have been.

Can someone throw some light on how much this poor SOP can militate against my chances of admission.

Mona, don't worry so much. If it happens, it happens. Your profile looks very strong, especially considering your background. Have you applied to any other programs? with GRE scores like that, I'm sure you would have a great shot at plenty of schools.

@mana: With WWS, you really cant be sure of your odds.. it depends on what concentration your are applying for, the quality of the applicant pool (including how many of them have profiles similar to you), are they convinced about your commitment towards public service, so and so forth.. So I don't think even the members of the admissions committee could take a look at your profile and say ya or nay, unless they have seen the entire applicant pool .. That being said, what is done is done. N the feeling "oh I could have prepared a much much better app" is a feeling that you share with many others, me included. So relax and wait for the results.. good luck 

As for admissions process, does anyone know how the Adcom uses the policy memo? As in, can a good policy memo overcome some other not very formidable aspects of the applications? (I know it would be subjective, so I'm just looking for 'gut feelings' that you guys may have) 

Also, if any admits from the previous year are here, could you tell if the acceptacne email also opens with "Thank for applying to Woodrow Wilson School.." ? I know its a very dorky question, but well something that I cant stop thinking about.. 

Edited by Policykid

Also, if any admits from the previous year are here, could you tell if the acceptacne email also opens with "Thank for applying to Woodrow Wilson School.." ? I know its a very dorky question, but well something that I cant stop thinking about.. 

Not even joking, my acceptance email last year opened with the word "YES!!" Not sure if they do that every year. 

Not even joking, my acceptance email last year opened with the word "YES!!" Not sure if they do that every year. 

That would have been one great way to know that you have been admitted to WWS. I hope I get a "We Do" email come the ides of march..

• 2 weeks later...

There is a noticeably lower activity on this thread for the current year.. Could it be an indication that there is a dip in the applicant pool.. ?? 

@Gov2School: I was reading the Annual Report for 2013-2014 where they have indicated an possible narrowing of the diversity in the class entering in 2013 and that they have already initiated a few admissions reforms to address the same. Could you tell this what it might mean??? 

Thanks !!

Hello everyone, I was wondering if you guys could point me to programs that could be suitable to my interests and my profile.

I have a degree in computer engineering from mumbai university. I have a very poor gpa (2.68/4 I had my eyes on another degree but couldn't pursue that. never mind) 

GRE: 324

TOEFL: 114

I have a years worth of work experience in a sustainability consultancy as a sustainability analyst.

I have been wanting to pursue education in a field that will help me create a more sustainable world. Mostly helping proliferate cleantech and such.

I have applied to a couple of programmes and rather blindly without considering what I could get with my profile.

Now however I am also considering applying to a couple of Masters in international Affairs programs. My benchmark for an ideal programme is the one at SIPA with its concentration in energy and environment. 

I was wondering if I should even bother applying to this programme. Also wanted to know about other programmes that have a similar kind of education and future prospects. Open to public policy and public affairs as well.

P.S: Sorry if this is not the appropriate thread.

Hello everyone, I was wondering if you guys could point me to programs that could be suitable to my interests and my profile.

I have a degree in computer engineering from mumbai university. I have a very poor gpa (2.68/4 I had my eyes on another degree but couldn't pursue that. never mind) 

GRE: 324

TOEFL: 114

I have a years worth of work experience in a sustainability consultancy as a sustainability analyst.

I have been wanting to pursue education in a field that will help me create a more sustainable world. Mostly helping proliferate cleantech and such.

I have applied to a couple of programmes and rather blindly without considering what I could get with my profile.

Now however I am also considering applying to a couple of Masters in international Affairs programs. My benchmark for an ideal programme is the one at SIPA with its concentration in energy and environment. 

I was wondering if I should even bother applying to this programme. Also wanted to know about other programmes that have a similar kind of education and future prospects. Open to public policy and public affairs as well.

P.S: Sorry if this is not the appropriate thread.

Hello, maybe you should look into the "Am I competitive?" thread pinned on top :)

As per my information, WWS does not notify applicants of their status being complete or incomplete. It only notifies the outcome. As a matter of personal satisfaction however, you can log into the system and view if you have all the items such as test scores and LORs on file.

Ha! I actually brought this up as an area of improvement during that feedback survey they ask you to do.