Computer recommendations?

Just wondering if anyone has any computer recommendations for grad school! I know tons of people out there love their Macs, but I am not sure if that would be the best decision since SALT doesn't work on them. I'm not the most tech-savvy so I really appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

While Macs are certainly great machines, you can get a PC laptop with the same or better specs for much cheaper! I personally recommend Lenovo - I got a laptop from them two years ago (mostly for gaming, but obviously can be used for school/work purposes as well) for about $800 and I LOVE it. Lenovos have a reputation for durability, which is a definite plus for me. They have a neat tool that might give you an idea of what kind of laptop you could get within your budget:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/landingpage/laptop-finder/

I'm considering getting one of their Yoga convertible tablets (the kind with attached keyboard that you can flip around in a bunch of configurations) for portability/convenience of taking notes in classes etc, although I don't know that I'd recommend one as a primary computer because of the smaller hard drive. Anyway, that's my case for Lenovo/PC laptops, hope it's helpful!

I started grad school this fall and I have an ASUS.  People in my cohort have Lenovos, Dells, Toshibas and Macs.  I'd definitely avoid Dell but really you just need something reliable to get you through your program. I got my new laptop from ebay for 300.00 brand new.

I have a larger Dell laptop that I keep at home and bought a smaller Dell to take with me to and from class. Not sure what all the fuss is about Dell but I've never had problems using mine. I do know a fellow grad student who strictly uses an iPad and that seems like the strangest decision to me, so as long as you find something that you know will work for you then I don't see why any would be a problem.

The first laptop I got was a Dell (inspiron) and I LOVED that machine! (Kind of wish it still worked. :wub: ) Naturally, for my second laptop, I chose another Dell (studio 15), and it ended up being the absolute worst computer and made university incredibly stressful. Every day there was a new problem (even after getting a new motherboard) and it was very disappointing. Especially since I had promoted my first Dell to anyone who was in the market for a new computer. From what I've heard they changed some of the companies they get parts from and that may have impacted the quality of the machine. Or I am just very unlucky---which is entirely possible!  :P

The first laptop I got was a Dell (inspiron) and I LOVED that machine! (Kind of wish it still worked. :wub: ) Naturally, for my second laptop, I chose another Dell (studio 15), and it ended up being the absolute worst computer and made university incredibly stressful. Every day there was a new problem (even after getting a new motherboard) and it was very disappointing. Especially since I had promoted my first Dell to anyone who was in the market for a new computer. From what I've heard they changed some of the companies they get parts from and that may have impacted the quality of the machine. Or I am just very unlucky---which is entirely possible!  :P

... or maybe I'm the lucky one who has had 2 awesome ones! haha Sorry about the bad luck with Dells! When I graduated high school my parents bought me a HP laptop which was great the first 2 years and then it just went nuts. Finally ditched it and ended up with my Dell and then recently purchased my smaller one during my 1st month of grad school. All is good so far (fingers crossed).

If you're worried about getting a Mac and not being able to run a program, you can always install Windows on the Mac if you're willing to shell out a few more dollars. My mac has gotten me through undergrad and I'm not too concerned about using it in grad school. Macs generally last a long time (going on 6 years!) and you won't have to worry about virus software. I would just decide what you're willing to spend. I like how easy macs are to use in comparison to PCs (and I've used PCs at work for 3+ years) so it's worth the price for me but it's not for everyone. 

I've had my Mac since 2010 and have not had any problems with it as of yet. My cohort is split about 50/50 with Macs and PCs, so it really is a matter of personal preference. I have the SALT 2012 CD and Praat on my computer and they both work just fine. If you plan on bringing your laptop to school, I would consider purchasing a lightweight computer. A fast processor is also very helpful. Purchase what makes you comfortable!

About 85% us macs in our cohort. The department is pc based as well as the on campus labs, so there is always a pc around for running pc based software.

I also have SALT 2012 and Praat installed on my Mac and they both work fine. When you initially put the SALT disc into the computer (Mac or PC) it prompts you to select which operating system you're using for the download. I switched over into the world of Macs about a year ago and I can't see myself going back to PC. I really like the simplicity of Mac's interface and the applications. I had no experience using them and I picked up on it pretty quick. It's always useful to go to a store that sells the computer you're interested in so you can get a feel for the computer before buying. That's just my two cents.