FREAK OUT FORUM-MPH

Femtastic

Hi all,

I wanted this to be a space to freak out and talk about MPH or MSPH programs. Any and all questions are welcome!

I have a few: when did you submit your applications and have you heard back from any schools yet? Any acceptances? Rejections yet?

:)

Edited by mh1992

I was verified on 12/3. I've only heard back from one school. 

I'm glad you made this thread because I was getting ready to make one. It's been pretty quiet here. 

Edited by nblues

Verified 11/12 when I applied to Rutgers and Columbia for Epi MPH. 11/15 applied to Yale. 12/15 applied to GWU. 

I have received confirmations from all, but I really regret not applying to more schools that release decisions early.

I need that School E-mail fix, man.

I submitted my SOPHAS apps on 11/22 and SOPHAS verified on 11/24. Boston verified/confirmed on 11/25. Accepted to University of Michigan's Global Epi program on 12/4 and Boston University's Global Health program on 12/18. Emory just received my application, but are still waiting on my transcript?? I'll give them another week to see if they received it. Georgia State received my application as well.

Edited by asseenontv

Congrats on your acceptances! My application was barely verified on 12/9 so nothing yet. Alls I've received is email confirmations. Boston University was real quick! I applied there also. Hopefully i hear from them quick aslo.

Thanks! Boston got back very quickly. They originally said we wouldn't hear anything until 2015. Although they have begun to give out acceptances, we won't actually get our admissions packets until early January. 

I submitted my SOPHAS apps on 11/22 and SOPHAS verified on 11/24. Boston verified/confirmed on 11/25. Accepted to University of Michigan's Global Epi program on 12/4 and Boston University's Global Health program on 12/18. Emory just received my application, but are still waiting on my transcript?? I'll give them another week to see if they received it. Georgia State received my application as well.

That's odd that Emory hasn't received your transcript. I'd call them about that. Everything should have been sent to them through SOPHAS. 

I'm glad Georgia State has finally confirmed that they received our applications. I was getting worried when I hadn't heard anything from them. 

Hi all,

Congrats to those who have heard back already and been accepted! I submitted on 12/15 so have not been verified yet. Applied to Hopkins part-time MPH and GW full-time. Only received a confirmation from Hopkins. Did GW applicants receive a confirmation from the Milken Institute? 

@Collegebum1989, I applied on 12/15, too, and got an e-mail this morning that I've been verified. About an hour later, I heard from GW saying that my file is complete and I'll hear back in 8-10 weeks. Still nothing from Harvard. 

Thanks so much! Guess I will have to wait to be verified. 

Hi! Totally new to gradcafe here...

First, wanted to reply to collegbum1989: I had the same experience as HealthMatters - I applied by 12/15 and got verified yesterday (12/23). One of the admissions offices I spoke with said SOPHAS likes to send out verifications in batches on Mondays and Wednesdays usually?

Second, wanted to ask - has anyone applied to or considered applying to UCLA? I discovered their program a little late, which meant that I missed their Dec 1 deadline. Their site says they do consider applications after the deadline on a limited basis, so I wanted to see whether it would be worth the time & money to apply or if they're known for making their decisions pretty quickly (so I don't really have a chance)...

Currently trying to make time pass quickly since their student affairs office doesn't open until 10am PST - then I will call them.  :unsure:

Hello-

I was wondering if anyone out there possibly had a low (like actually low) GRE score. I am in that boat with a strong GPA, and really strong experience. I am pretty terrified to hit submit to the rest of the schools I am looking into. Any suggestions? :wacko:

@collegebum1989: I am applying for the MSPH online via their website for epidemiology 

@jhinca05: My quant score was literally middle 50%, but I've already got a (somewhat) unrelated MA, publications on public health topics, etc. and a 3.9GPA in my grad program. So, I get it.

In other news: Harvard got its apps from SOPHAS today! 

@collegebum1989: I am applying for the MSPH online via their website for epidemiology 

@jhinca05: My quant score was literally middle 50%, but I've already got a (somewhat) unrelated MA, publications on public health topics, etc. and a 3.9GPA in my grad program. So, I get it.

In other news: Harvard got its apps from SOPHAS today! 

Do we have any idea when Harvard will be handing out decisions? I was verified 11/13 and received notice from Harvard that they received my application on 11/21. No news yet though.  :unsure:

Do you know which programs release early decisions?

I've already heard from Pitt, WashU, and Florida. They all make decisions as they receive apps. I think Michigan, BU, and Tulane are similar as well.

Hello-

I was wondering if anyone out there possibly had a low (like actually low) GRE score. I am in that boat with a strong GPA, and really strong experience. I am pretty terrified to hit submit to the rest of the schools I am looking into. Any suggestions? :wacko:

There are threads on grad cafe dedicated specifically to these types of scenarios, but basically I'd say that public health programs are looking at the whole application, and if the rest of your application is strong, the GRE won't matter as much. Of course it depends on the school, program, and how low the scores are. Epi programs are going to weight quant scores more heavily than other programs in general, and of course in general the higher ranked the school, the better of scores they'll want to see. Depending on where you are applying and the deadlines, you might still have time to re-take the GRE if you are insecure about it.

I assume the answer to that is when they are good and ready. I had no indication in my e-mail, which is likely the exact same one you got. I've been told from an alum that now works there that decisions are not made until all apps are in. 

Well if that's true, then they should hopefully be sending out news soon! Their deadline was the 15th of December for SM programs and (extended to) the 31st of December for the MPH. 

I just got confirmation from BUSPH. I wonder if I'll get any (good) news by my birthday in 31 days. I'm not holding my breath for Hahvahd, but BU maybe.

I was SOPHAS verified on 11/16 and received an acceptance from BU on 12/18. I'd guess you should hear something from them within the next couple of weeks. 

Edited by IntriguedStudent