Yale FES 2015 Anybody?

Jojo2015

hello, I am new to this forum.

I wanted to check if anybody here applied to the master's in environmental management (MEM) program at Yale FES. If so, how was your experience (SOP, LOR, open house,etc...)? On dec 15th, I submitted my application to their program. Hoping for the best:-)

I'm new to the forums too!  I applied to the MESc, so not quite the MEM.  I'm from Illinois.  I haven't visited the campus (except to visit a friend working at Yale a few years ago), although I did attend an information session in Chicago.

i'm a recent graduate from an Italian university :)  How are you feeling about your applications? I guess my biggest concern is my terrible GRE score...(it was my first time ever taking a standardized test)

Edited by anikl92

Hi anikl92, what I heard from the Yale admissions office is that they see the application holistically. I think you should be okay as long as you have other positive things to show.

My GRE score is not great as well. My background is engineering. What's your undergrad degree?

i'm a recent graduate from an Italian university :) How are you feeling about your applications? I guess my biggest concern is my terrible GRE score...(it was my first time ever taking a standardized test)

Edited by energydude

My experience with the application process was so far good. I'm not sure how much weightage is given to the GRE score, hope not much :-). Squeezing in everything you want the admissions committee to know is so hard with 600-word limit, right? I had to truncate a lot because of the word limit. Was your SOP 2 pages?

Hello, I applied to the MEM as well. I am really concerned with my low GRE scores (V 154, Q 152) even though I have good work experience. Also I went passed the word limit on the SOP which also has me worried. What has been your experience so far?

Hi, all!  To answer the questions posed above, the admissions folks have been really kind to me so far.  My undergraduate degree was in . . . music!  That's relevant.  I graduated in 2008, so I have 5-6 years of work experience.  My GRE was OK but I get the impression that they don't care about it much.  I'm currently a program assistant on two epidemiological research studies, so my work is only kind of related to environmental science in general, although my main research interest is in pollutant exposure disparities.  I took (and am still taking) most of the courses I completed from their recommended preparatory course list in a post-baccalaureate program since my undergraduate degree wasn't in the sciences.  My SoP was two pages and I think it ended up exactly 600 words.

the admissions office has been really kind to me as well; i've been pestering them with my questions since august!

I did my bachelor's degree in biology & environmental science, a pretty standard background for F&ES (i'm guessing).

regarding the SOP- i was told that it's ok if the word limit slightly overflows; as long as it's under 650 words it should be acceptable.

My GREs were similar to mm1234, we're in the same boat :/

is anyone here an international applicant? 

Hi, I'm also applying for MEM 2015Fall, with a  concentration on sustainable land use. I'm an international applicant from China. My background is in rural development.

It's been one month after my submitting my materials to FES and now I'm feeling a little depressed coz I feel like my SOP has so much to improve. I should have include more information about my professional experience in the essay but I DIDN'T. FES is my dream school and I'm crossing my fingers for it although I understand chances are small  :mellow:

My experience with the application process was so far good. I'm not sure how much weightage is given to the GRE score, hope not much :-). Squeezing in everything you want the admissions committee to know is so hard with 600-word limit, right? I had to truncate a lot because of the word limit. Was your SOP 2 pages?

Hi Jojo2015, my SOP was 1 page and 2 lines long, so technically it is 2 pages long. Yours? Did you manage to fit everything under 600 words?

• 3 weeks later...

I am in International female application with 2 years experience of working in Environmental Policy. My application has been sent by the IIE as a Fulbright Scholar. Eagerly waiting for the results. Stomach filled with butterflies 24*7. Totally hating this feeling. 

Hi, I`m an International Applicant for a PhD on FES. Yesterday my POI told me that for this program the Doctoral Committee will make their decisions during the following weeks.

Good luck EAVR2015, let us know if you hear about decisions.

Hi, I`m an International Applicant for a PhD on FES. Yesterday my POI told me that for this program the Doctoral Committee will make their decisions during the following weeks.

I received my decision on friday, I was admitted :) super happy. No info on funding yet. Still need all other universities to respond in order to move forward as Fulbright has the final word when all decisions are in. Good luck to everyone!!

Edited by Ivygradhopeful

I applied to just 2 schools, MEM at Yale and Duke.

Congrats once again!!

how many years of experience do u have? Is it in environmental field?

Thanks btw!!!! Totally missed the first part of the message from my phone :P Good luck to you!!

I applied to just 2 schools, MEM at Yale and Duke.

Congrats once again!!

how many years of experience do u have? Is it in environmental field?

Thankss :)) 6 years of experience in the energy field, 2 years environmental non-profit. Applied for the Energy and the Environment concentration. 

Just heard back from FES! Cant believe it but I'm in! Dream come true. Happy to share my profile if anyone is interested.

Congratsss JJ123!!!!! will you be attending the open house in april? Do share your profile, I would love to know :)