Staying in UG another year?

A nun and mouse

In May I will have been in college for four years. I have been considering a masters in statistics, but I think I don't quite have enough preparation to get into a good program (My main major is Economics). I'm considering just staying another semester or two to take Real Analysis, Time Series, and a few other advanced Math/Stats courses in the hopes that I would then be able to get into a good stats MS program afterwards. I just wonder if taking >4 years to graduate would be looked down upon. Does this seem like a good idea? Bad idea? Any advice?

Also, I wonder if I have a decent shot already? Classes I've taken listed below.

Intro to Probability (although called intro, this is the highest level probability course available to Undergrads)

Intro to Math Stats (although called intro, this is the highest level statistics course available to Undergrads)

Theory Linear Regression (Course with about half Undergrads & half Grad Students)

Various Prereqs for the previous 3

Linear Algebra

Single & Multivariable Calculus

GPA: 3.9

Recs: Good, but all from Econ Profs (although one is from a professor of an econometrics course)

Research: Haven't done any

Edited by A nun and mouse

Why not graduate and then take extra classes as a non-degree student? It's probably a lot cheaper than staying enrolled for another year...

Doesn't your financial aid package decrease once you already have a bachelors?

Doesn't your financial aid package decrease once you already have a bachelors?

Yeah. Plus, depending on the school, it can be extremely expensive. At my school it's something like $1K per unit and classes are generally 4 units each...

Whether or not it's expensive depends entirely on the school. Here's an example. At Florida State University, there are fixed per credit hour prices for courses. See here. Those prices are based on the classification of the course (undergraduate or graduate), the campus, and whether you are a state resident for tuition purposes. As you'll see, in-state residents are paying $215.55 per credit hour, so under $700 for a 3-credit hour course. So, you could take 9 hours of courses for around $2000 as a state resident. Contrast this to Arizona State. (Hopefully this link works. It should show tuition for an undergraduate, non-degree seeking student at the Tempe campus that's an Arizona resident.) At Arizona State, those same 9 hours would cost $5,053 for the fall semester because there's a flat charge for anything over 7 credit hours a semester. (The charges are basically the same whether or not you're degree-seeking. You can play around with the "About Me" tab to see that.) If the school has a flat fee like that, it may make more sense to just graduate and then take 1-2 courses at a time to avoid such charges. Sure, there's less financial aid for graduating but there's also less financial aid for fifth year students. Well, there's less non-student loan money available. 

Would it even be possible to stay on for another year after you have met graduation requirements?  I know that you have to apply/petition to graduate and that the diploma is not automatic, however there are students who postpone the "real world" for as long as possible for what-ever reason.  

At both of my universities (I transferred) students were required to meet with their respective advisors prior to enrolling in courses.  At both universities the advisor had to unlock your account in order for you to register for courses.  This gives the Registrar assurance that the student is not wasting anyone's time.  

To be frank I cannot imagine an advisor, let alone a "school" -no matter how much they may want your tuition dollars-to allow this.  For one, the risk of you failing a course or two is a real possibility; which will not only ruin your GPA but also might "ruin" the universities stats.  

Now, with that, you have two options if you want to take more courses:  petition for a minor in Math/Stats or petition to double-major in Math'Stats, now, before you graduate.  The other option would be to be admitted on a provisional basis and take the necessary courses in concurrence if necessary.   

To my understanding it will be more about your ability to pass a comprehensive examination and not so much about having taken certain courses although you will need to take certain pre-reqs.   

Honestly, I think you have a decent shot at good programs.  It might be to your benefit if you include in your SOP that you would be willing to take an undergrad pre-req or two as a condition of admittance.