Giving Gifts to Favorite Professors Pre-Graduation?

fauxlita

Hi, everyone! I'm relatively new to gradcafe and am therefore unsure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I need some advice about giving gifts to professors. Since I'm a graduating undergrad, I thought I'd post my individual situation here and ask for opinions.

I'm graduating in May, and I wanted to give 3 professors--all of whom I've worked with closely for years--gifts prior to graduation. I won't be taking any classes with them in the spring, so I'm not worried about seeming bribey. All three served on my honors thesis committee and wrote letters of rec for grad school. Most importantly, they have served as academic and emotional support outside of what is expected of professors. I don't typically give gifts, but since I'm saying goodbye, I felt it was appropriate. 

So, here's the plan.

I'm going to give all 3 bound copies of my thesis early in January since that's (somewhat) expected. Pre-defense, I refused to do my Acknowledgments section for fear that it would be awkwardly sentimental before my grade was finalized. So that gift is already happening.

But at the end of the semester, I wanted to give 2 of them welded nameplates for their desks. I figured I'd also attach a nice card thanking them.

For the third professor, it gets a bit complicated. My last professor served as my thesis director and mentor for four years. I also did independent study with him--ultimately calculating to 6 classes. I also took a grad class under his supervision. Everyone knows we're very (platonically) close, and I've spent many hours with him after class just chatting. For him, I made a sketch of three authors my thesis was based on and framed it nicely in a 16 x 20 frame. Since it was custom framing, it was around 100 dollars. (Damn you, chain art store.)

I feel fine about the first two gifts, but I'm worried about the last one. The sketch itself was easy yet personal. But I don't want him to be worried about the cost or worse, have to refuse it because it seems expensive. I'm glad I spent the money to properly display something I made for him with my own hands, so it doesn't seem too, too bad. Should expense only be a factor when you buy something from the store? If this gift seems inappropriate, what should I do? I already prepped it, and I really think he deserves it, but I don't want him to feel uncomfortable or have to turn it away.

Am I overthinking? Do these gifts seem appropriate since I'm close to these professors and only have the motive of letting them know just how appreciated they are? Does the timing of the defense copies and pre-grad gifts seem odd?

Edited by TakeruK
removed a few identifying details as per author's request

I think this seems really sweet and thoughtful. I gave presents to my undergrad thesis advisor and a few other mentors, and they all really appreciated it. None of them expressed discomfort at the idea.

This seems like a gift that would be very much appreciated. Go for it!

Edited by duran0

The gifts sound great! I gave small gifts to three professors I did research with or mentored me, along with thank you notes. My gifts were less serious than yours (I got a great book on the worst test answers for my advisor), but my professors really appreciated it. I also received a few gifts as well. All of this happened before graduation, too, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Those gifts sound great. I feel like I could never pay back my advisor for all the help he has given me over the years, and I'm sure you feel the same - your last gift seems to express that!

Edited by VulpesZerda

I gave my LoR writers thank you gifts once I got in. Booze for a couple, books for the non-drinkers

Same. I also got something for an administrative aide who helped me in a tight spot or two.