Psychology Interview Tips

constant_wanderer

Practice out loud answering the usual questions like: What are your strengths and weaknesses? Tell me about yourself, etc.

Review the research you have done haha. This one should be obvious I think, but I totally forgot to do this when I had an informal interview. The POI asked me what theory or something I referenced to explain my findings and I totally blanked out. Fortunately that was the only question I replied with "I don't know", but I guess that's not exactly a fortunate thing...

Arrive early to mentally prepare yourself. I have always arrived at least 2 hours early so that I can be totally relaxed and excited.

When I interviewed I did so with three different faculty members and graduate students. In between I was in the bathroom, breathing and trying to remain calm and composed, because it's a longggg day. I suggest watching this: 

http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are?language=en

I did power poses in between and it helped keep my sanity. Good luck! 

Heard of elevator pitches? Be able to answer "What kind of research are you interested in?" in < 20 seconds, for small talk situations. Yes, for academics this question is small talk.

Figure out who you'll be meeting with if possible.  Read some of their research/familiarize yourself with their work.  They aren't going to quiz you on their publications or anything, but it helps to know who you are talking to, what they have already done, and where their research is going.

For the love of all things holy, only use the "this is my top choice program" line at one place: your legitimate top choice. Do not tell multiple schools that because it will get you into a pickle, and it's not cute. 

Also, in terms of dress, definitely sway toward the more formal end, even at the graduate school potluck/happy hour/etc if they have one. Last year the grad students hosted a potluck and the invitation said "dress up casual." Could have sworn they said that just to see what people would wear. The term "casual" during interview weekends does not mean casual. One girl showed up wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers. That's a no-no.

Edited by AvatarPsych

When I've interviewed for jobs, I always find that they're looking for people who are energetic and happy. But maybe it was just the jobs I was applying to (working with children, food service.)

Does anyone have any clue on whether professors are looking for that? I oftentimes feel pretty fake when I have to act more energetic than I am.

Don't be a jerk. Don't be anti social. Look interested in the faculty, graf students, and other applicants. We want someone well enjoy being around for 6 years. Be able to answer what you want to research very broadly, and more specifically. Be able to lay out a study that you'd love to run tomorrow if you were accepted. Try and make your research interests relevant to as many people as possible. Remember that they are also trying to impress you. Never wear sweatpants. If there is an appropriate time to socialize with faculty don't spend that time only talking about research. Maybe ask a student beforehand what the POI like to do, and seem interested in that.

EastCoasting: really good advice!

From my own experience of interviewing at one of the most competitive clinical programs in the States (4% acceptance rate), I'd add: stay positive -- some of your interviewers will really try to test you. One of the three professors who me put up his feet in front of me on the desk between us, began with a generic 'Tell me about yourself', and then proceeded to take apart every single research and clinical experience I offered in answer. So, keep your cool, keep on talking, ask them questions, pretend you're not nervous or intimidated. Pay attention to your interviewers, and if they appear bored -- wrap up, don't rant on!

Also, this is not the time to be critical of your home school, past colleagues and supervisors, or your research field in general. It's important to strike a balance between remaining true to yourself, while being pleasant. Also, you must be able to tie together your past experiences, current work, and future research plans.

Phew... I hope this makes sense.

Don't let this freak you out, but you are always being interviewed. I am lucky enough to have gotten into a program where everyone gets along very well but there is a reason for that: our personalities were evaluated just as much as our academic credentials during interview weekend. I know one person who got rejected after an interview weekend for being too candid with grad students during a welcome party (I think he was talking about using mdma or something). So be casual with the grad students and don't bore them with your interests (it's fine to talk about them some but don't ram them down their throat) but don't get too comfortable. Don't complain about your undergrad school, advisor, etc too much, either.

Some great advice here! One of the most useful threads I've read in my short time since discovering GC. Although I will be attending interviews this spring (first timer, currently a senior in undergrad), I've gotten some great advice (grad students, profs., research advisors) that I feel like I should share. 

Consistent with nearly all of the previous posts, everyone stresses positivity. Be happy! Graduate school is a long, winding, bumpy road; if you're not positive, you're as good as...depressed. That's not good for you, your fellow students, or anyone. If you're not happy and excited during the interview (you can be happy while being nervous), well, maybe graduate school isn't for you. Why would you not be happy for an opportunity at your fingertips?

Second, accentuate your strengths but also acknowledge your weaknesses, if asked. I've been told that admissions committees want honesty. I've heard the the term "optimistic realism" thrown around, which I think is representative. In other words, be realistic (with yourself & others) while also acknowledging your potential for great work. After all, if you've been given an interview, at least someone on that committee believes that you should be there...why would you ever doubt yourself in this case?

Third, and EAST COASTING mentioned this, realize that they want you just like you want them. Sure, you want to be impressive, but so do they. Try to strike that balance between being confident but not feeling entitled. This may be the most useful piece of advice for me, actually.

I totally agree with SOCIALLYPSYCHED in that the interview never stops. You're being watched. Coming across as a good person to graduate students is just as important as coming across that way to professors. Graduate students want good colleagues and fellow students; they're not your friends...yet.

Last, and maybe implied but...enjoy the moment. If you're at an interview, realize that you've been picked to be there. Enjoy feeling wanted...it's a great feeling. 

Again, thanks for all the great feedback in this thread. Best of luck to everyone. 

Also, this may or may not be obvious to people but send a thank you email.  I know some people send snail mail thank yous but in some cases people are making decisions quite quickly after interview weekend concludes.  I would suggest sending a short email on Monday.  I might say one or two specific things (for instance, with my advisor I brought up a specific effect we had both attempted to replicate) and otherwise just say how much you enjoyed learning about the program.  I would also send a thank you to any other faculty members you talked to and the grad students who gave you a tour or hosted you. 

Edited by sociallypsyched

... One of the three professors who me put up his feet in front of me on the desk between us, began with a generic 'Tell me about yourself', and then proceeded to take apart every single research and clinical experience I offered in answer. So, keep your cool, keep on talking, ask them questions, pretend you're not nervous or intimidated. ...

People trying to psych  :P  me out like that is one of the things I think about a lot because I'm worried I'll just start laughing if they do it. Like, they give off a bunch of funny cues, just to test me, I just know I'm going to start cracking up and be like "really?" I hope that won't bother them. I hope they don't think it's supposed to be believable and stuff.

psychface: you know, what continues to surprise me in clinical psychology is the number of folks who seem to be in need of a therapy session or two. The individual I described was obviously someone who liked testing folks out like that, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't putting on an act.

I guess once you make it as a professor, especially in clinical psychology, where folks would put up with almost anything for a chance of getting in, you suddenly have all the power in the world over students -- and you know it. 'Power trip' might be a useful term to describe some individuals in psychology, and the best thing we can do is not to act like that towards folks more junior than ourselves once we get in.

So, IMHO, the best we can do is just not be intimidated, and believe in ourselves no matter what (ahh, so corny!) when dealing with professors and graduate students.

[...]

I guess once you make it as a professor, especially in clinical psychology, where folks would put up with almost anything for a chance of getting in, you suddenly have all the power in the world over students -- and you know it. 'Power trip' might be a useful term to describe some individuals in psychology, and the best thing we can do is not to act like that towards folks more junior than ourselves once we get in.

[...]

I don't think it's just Psychology. I've seen that attitude from profs in different fields. I hope if I ever get like that I will know it is time to switch professions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, please feel free to direct me to another thread (can't seem to find one) that addresses this question if it's already been answered - I just received my first interview (YAY!) and in addition to the formal interview in Feb, the POI wants to "chat on the phone" tomorrow. Any tips on what this call might entail and how to best prepare in 24 hours?

Hi all, please feel free to direct me to another thread (can't seem to find one) that addresses this question if it's already been answered - I just received my first interview (YAY!) and in addition to the formal interview in Feb, the POI wants to "chat on the phone" tomorrow. Any tips on what this call might entail and how to best prepare in 24 hours?

Like said above, it's good to know about the professors work.

Also, you'd might like to prepare a small speech about your past research experiences

I know it's too late for HPB but maybe this will be of use for someone else in the future. I've had 4 of these informal phone chats / interviews so far. For each one, I prepped extensively about the profs work (which no one asked me about) and about my work (useful).

Here's what people asked me:

Prof A: No questions for me. Just wanted my questions for him.

Prof B: (1) Tell me about the research you've been doing. (2) Are you sure you want to do this as opposed to working?

Prof C: Tell me why you want to study this.

Prof D: Tell me about yourself.

I was surprised that no one asked very much. All only asked 1 or 2 questions at most and then let me ask them questions for the rest of the time. If I had to do it again, I'd probably spend less time prepping on their work, since no one asked about it. Though it was nice to be able to throw in a reference to it here and there (for example in talking about how my own work connected to it).

For those applying to Clinical, I've heard time and time again from faculty members that they don't want to hear that the reason an applicant wants to be in Clinical is because of his/her own psychological issues, as harsh as that sounds. I guess if someone ends up saying that, chances are they said it in their statement of interest already, but just throwing that out there...