Is It Worth Re-Taking GRE Verbal & Writing Or Focus Soely On Raising Quant. Score?

HpSp2

Wandering if its worth re-taking verbal & writing GRE..

Got 150 on Verbal (45 percentile)

3 on essays

Unspeakably poor on quant. (136 ir 2 perc.)

Schools only say satisfactory (vague) GRE score and Vanderbilt says recent scores (already sent)

Father wants me to retake all 3 to raise, but would I be better off only re-taking the quant? Essay I think I could raise to a 4 but quant must be raised.

Any advise on studying quant? Never took geometry so those are a mystery to me. Algebra used to be really easy for me, but word problems caused me issues. Also have trouble remembering all those formulas that nobody actually ever remembers.

Note, applying to history MA & political science MA programs.

I was told that my conference paper would carry significant weight, and since my GPA & recs are good, would this perhaps offset poor scores?

Also wondering if I should address poor scores in statement or have rec address scores not rep of abilities.

Also, was using Kaplan test books, but looks like Magoosh could be more useful (though will only be able to use free parts).

Edited by HpSp2

I agree, I think you should retake. I hate the emphasis that the GRE gets in admissions, but I think you'd have a good shot of raising your scores. 

Also, for what it's worth, you can't re-take just one section -- you have to take all three together, every time. 

I  think that you should re-take the GRE unless you have proof that your score was just bad luck.. For example I scored 150 in Q but received 90% in both an advanced stats course and psychometrics. If you have this you can address it in you SOP. If you do decide to retake the GRE, Magoosh is a wonderful website.

Good luck!