IHEID (Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies Geneva) Fall 2015

Grad888

Hi all, just trying to start a conversation for those of us starting a masters or PhD at IHEID next year. I have been admitted to the MIA and will be coming from Australia. :) What are other people doing? So excited!!

I have been admitted for the Masters of International Economics but I still have a lot of American Ph.D. programs hear from until I can make my decision. However IHEID is my top choice so far.

How come you applied for a masters at IHEID and PhDs in the U.S.? Which one would you prefer doing? Good luck with the rest of the decision outcomes and good luck deciding! :)

Ah, that makes so much more sense now! I've always wondered why you could go from undergrad straight to a PhD in the States! :) About IHEID: where can you see the conditions of your offer, e.g. French test or completion of your current degree? I've looked at pretty much every page and can't seem to find that.

About IHEID: where can you see the conditions of your offer, e.g. French test or completion of your current degree? I've looked at pretty much every page and can't seem to find that.

Log back into the application. Click on the Application Follow-up page, and it will be underneath "Programme" but above "Scholarship." It may be blank (mine is).

Ah cool, I was worried that mine was empty - I thought it would say that admission was contingent on passing the French test, but it might just say that in the section below.

Hi there Congratulations for the folks who have got the admission and all the best for the folks who are waiting :)

I am from India and working on my application for MIA for 2015 admission in IHEID. I did my MBA from one of the good B'schools (From India's perspective, but not from global rankings standpoint). I have over 11 years of corporate experience mostly around marketing strategy/research/insights in companies like IBM, Oracle and Deloitte. I am not happy with the current job for long time and I am really passionate about global politics/IR. I have been thinking of studying MIA in IHEID from quite sometime as this'll give me a chance to reorient my career path and work with Itrernational organizations/Think tanks. But the problem is with my academic grades which are bad through out...from senior secodary up to MBA.

Strengths/Reasons for MIA in IHEID:

1. Passion for MIA/IR

2. MBA with 11 years of corporate experience

3. Good recomendations from both professional and academic references (one each).

4. Research Background

5. Exposure to emerging markets/economies/politics

6. My wife has applied for swiss excellence scholarship for post doc in IHEID and expecting a positive outcome

Drawbacks

1. Bad Academic grades

2. Not gone to reputed instituites/schools

3. Not travelled much outside India.

Any advice how to deal with this given IHEID emphasises on academic achievements. Also pls let me know if I stand any chance to get in to IHEID for putting up a good Motivation letter, resume and recommendations.

Thanks and appreciate your quick response.

Hi there Congratulations for the folks who have got the admission and all the best for the folks who are waiting :)

I am from India and working on my application for MIA for 2015 admission in IHEID. I did my MBA from one of the good B'schools (From India's perspective, but not from global rankings standpoint). I have over 11 years of corporate experience mostly around marketing strategy/research/insights in companies like IBM, Oracle and Deloitte. I am not happy with the current job for long time and I am really passionate about global politics/IR. I have been thinking of studying MIA in IHEID from quite sometime as this'll give me a chance to reorient my career path and work with Itrernational organizations/Think tanks. But the problem is with my academic grades which are bad through out...from senior secodary up to MBA.

Strengths/Reasons for MIA in IHEID:

1. Passion for MIA/IR

2. MBA with 11 years of corporate experience

3. Good recomendations from both professional and academic references (one each).

4. Research Background

5. Exposure to emerging markets/economies/politics

6. My wife has applied for swiss excellence scholarship for post doc in IHEID and expecting a positive outcome

Drawbacks

1. Bad Academic grades

2. Not gone to reputed instituites/schools

3. Not travelled much outside India.

Any advice how to deal with this given IHEID emphasises on academic achievements. Also pls let me know if I stand any chance to get in to IHEID for putting up a good Motivation letter, resume and recommendations.

Thanks and appreciate your quick response.

Hi Globalist_80! Good to hear from you. :) I can't speak about your chances, as I have no idea! But in your motivation letter, I would highlight your research experience. A big component of the MIA is the master's thesis, and if you can show that you will be good at that, I think that's worth a lot. Also talk about your motivation to learn: I highlighted some topics/subjects I was especially interested in - that shows the committee that's you've looked at IHEID in detail and are keen to get down and study. Good luck with it!!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope everyone already bought their Swiss Francs because they just got a whole lot more expensive today. The Swiss central bank stopped pegging the Franc to the Euro so it will no longer be so artificially cheap. 

I saw that this morning and immediately started calculating how much more expensive the Masters program will be. Anyone else do the same?

Oh god, I know, it's scarifying!! Hopefully it will go down again, Switzerland seems to want it to.. So does that mean you've decided to take the offer?

Hey guys!

I guess you all applied for the early applications round, since some of you have already accepted your offer for the MIA program. I am still waiting for my decision to be announced. I just wondered what you think about housing in Geneva? I know that there is a student house that you will be able to apply for soon, but does anyone know any other good options? With the Swiss Franc getting more and more expensive (I'm from Sweden so our currency is not worth alot compared to the € or the CEF) it would be good to know. Take care and all the best of luck to you all.

Edited by sebastiandavid

I think there are a lot of private accommodation options in Geneva, with residents of Geneva subletting rooms in their house to students. Guess its best to start arranging it until after the decisions come out, which will probably be in mid-March. Got a while to go then! Has your application status changed to "Under consideration" yet? Applied to any other schools?  Best of luck!

Hello guys!

I have applied for the Master in International Law...and I am literally terrified by the idea of not being accepted!!!  :ph34r:

IHEID is my only choice 'cause I would love to live in Geneva and the program teaches exactly what I want to study (I am interested in human rights, terrorism and genocide).

I am checking the status of the application every single day, but it still says "application received: complete" :unsure:

Yours too has the same status?

Meanwhile good luck to you all!!

Ahahhahah... Indeed strategies aren't helping very much... I am working on a paper but half of my thoughts are about the application.

They told me during the online sessions that besides the student's profile, the admission depends also on the level of homogeneity between the admitted applicants...I mean, as far as I could understand, that they are trying to gather homogeneous classes in order for the students to work well among them...So I was looking in the forums to see who else was applying, in order to understand the level of international background and work experiences or grades that other applicants had....:) 

Have you talked to other applicants?

Hey! I don't know what you mean with that they want homogeneous classes? From what I read they want the opposite, a diverse student-body. Thats what I wrote in my motivation letter as well, that I want to contribute to the diversity among students including: sex, race, nationality etc. For me it sounds very strange that an international school would want everyone to have the same background? I think you might have misunderstood (or maybe I have haha). They want a mix of students, that's why there is an international intake of students where they all compete against each other. Otherwise, if they wanted a homogenous class, they would only accept french and swiss students, right? That would be the ultimately homogenous class. I think they don't want the classes to look the same. 

I haven't applied for any other schools outside Sweden accept the Graduate institute. I was looking into the diploma academy in Vienna, but was I the only one that thought it seemed a bit out of date? The Leidl University in Holland seems nice though! Would be pretty cool to spend 2 years in Haag like in Geneva :)

I don't know how I'm supposed to wait until mid-march....

Edited by sebastiandavid

Hey AnnaBianca, I have been admitted and I am a Swiss/Australian dual citizen but have lived in Australia for the last 7 years. :) I think IHEID is very keen on having students from all over the world and to not have their classes too homogenous. I am also interested in genocide studies by the way!!

Sorry guys! I've explained myself awfully.  :unsure:

What I meant with homogeneous was that if we, all, have extensive international exposure or have studied in more than one country o have had international work experiences, we can bring equal contributions to our groups in terms of awareness.. (because we have the same TYPE of background, that doesn't imply the same experiences). It was the homogeneity of the type of background, not the homogeneity of experiences or views (that must, by any means, be diversified). Does it makes any sense for you?

And moreover, I was thinking: If they have 2000 applicants per year, but they admit only 30% this means that the other 70% aren't so internationally oriented and this is why the are rejected, or there is kind of a "level on internationalization" that one must have?  :D  

@Grad888 Congrats!!! I am very happy for you!! Hopefully we'll have the chance to meet in Prof. Bhavnani's course  :P

@Justpeace, Leiden Univ is wonderful. It was my third choice, after Science Po. But I have only applied to IHEID for now, because it is "the place" where I want to go... :D

Hang in there guys, mid-March will be here sooner than you think!

AnnaBianca, have you done any internships or similar things on genocide prevention?

Also, is anyone else applying for student accommodation? I will definitely apply to Piciotto, but wondering if Cité Université or others would also be worth it? I'll be bringing my husband to Geneva with me. :)

Grad888 I'm applying for the International Law program, that is disciplinary; IR would be a minor so the courses on genocide would be complementary.

I'm a law student basically, but I also speak 5 languages, so I worked as translator in the Court room, did some legal apprenticeship, volunteered in integration programs for immigrants and so on.

Genocide is a personal interest but I haven't done anything besides MOOC's or individual research.  :D

Have you done internships or similar?

As for the accommodation, I believe that they give priority to students who come from far away, like South Africa, USA, Cina... I saw that you are currently living in Australia, but I don't know if you qualify in their view for the Student House, given that you are also a swiss national.

I am from Milan and that is 500 km from Geneva so I believe I cannot qualify for Picciotto.

Indeed accommodation is also one of my concerns....