SOP Questions and Review

napoleon87

Hello Historians!

I'm applying to Art History MA programs this month and am slogging through my SOP's.  There isn't much action on the Art History section, so I'm hoping I might find advice here.

First,in my SOP, I'd like to talk about a David McCullough book that piqued my interest in the artistic and technological influence of France on the U.S. in the 19th century.  I can expand on this by discussing the related objects I've worked with at my museum job.  I'm wondering if it's ok to cite someone like McCullough, who is a popular historian and not an art historian, or if you think programs are only looking for your engagement with scholars in the field.

On this note, is there anyone here who would be willing to review my SOP?  I know it's a slightly different field, but any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

I would be happy to look over your SOP, send me a PM.

I'd like to read it before I form an absolute opinion on McCullough. My instinct says it's better to not include him, but I think if you form the SOP the right way it could work. My undergrad mentor suggested I not naively mention how at a young age Howard Zinn inspired me (that's an embarrassing admission but sorry, not sorry! Pop history piques many future historians' interests!) so I focused on some scholars I read in a senior seminar course instead (also inspiring, just not my first entree into questioning the validity of rah-rah history like Zinn did).

Anyway, send me the SOP, but also try to think about some academic historians you might include instead.