'mature' SLP student thread

Hello SLP Wanna -Be's and Gonna-Be's,

I was wondering if any of you out there in forum land are career changers like me? I am in my 40's and after over a decade in the classroom I am looking to retrain for a career in SLP to gain a new perspective on education. I am looking for other like minded people.

Challenges I am facing:

Going back to school but not being able to relocate family, which means I am limited geographically where I can apply to. I am only applying to my two closest state schools. Hoping to get accepted into both and have my choice, but not sure if I will get in. One school has part time employment program in public schools, the other program lets you attend school online during the year then go to their campus all summer (again, they require work in schools). However now that my apps are in and I am waiting, I wonder if I would be better off with a traditional two year program? I like the idea of working in field ( I am an SLP-A). But I also want to get done and go back to working full time. Would like to hear other mature students' experiences.

While I'm not a "mature" student, I have several people in my cohort who are. All of them were like you and could only apply to the same school that they did undergrad/post bacc at. We have about 8 or so who all except 3 are doing our program part time so that they can work as SLPAs, other jobs that they previously had (full and part time work), spend time with family and continue to raise their kids (who range from babies to current grads). I highly commend them for everything they have going on with school and outside of school. However, several of them wish they could've completed the program full time since it will end up costing them more money to stay an extra year in the program and our program didn't do the best job at working with their schedules outside of school (there were 2 who were required to be on campus everyday which I find ridiculous if you're a part timer!). If working, raising kids, or outside priorities are a must then I would choose part time (assuming that your programs are setup is similar to mine). But if you can bite the bullet and get it done full time, then I would do that so you can be done quicker and making $ sooner! Hope this helps!

I'm still (barely) in my 20s, but I also was in the classroom before changing careers.  I taught for five years before going back to school.  I applied and was accepted to schools last application season and just finished up my first semester in grad school.  I definitely feel like my previous experiences in education have helped me be successful in my program.

My husband and I don't have children and weren't tied down to a certain location, so I was able to apply to a number of schools.  Ultimately, I chose the school that cost the least amount of $$$.  I ended up getting a G.A., so I don't have to pay tuition (yay!).  

Let me know if you have any questions! 

I'm a mature student with two young kids and attend grad school as a part time student.  I do not work, aside from the loads of laundry and soccer mom duties that my life entails.  Hopefully if you are accepted, you can find other students in your position and ask them how their experience is in the programs.  All of your options sound fabulous!  I wish I had the option to attend classes online!  You are welcome to PM if you have other questions about being a mature student!

Thanks everyone, for sharing your stories and your encouragement! It definitely helps to hear from other people in the field. Sayjo I think it is awesome you got a GA! I know that if I get accepted scholarships will be limited in the part time programs I am applying to. Wondering what you guys know about financial aid or other opportunities for grads? I was counting on working in a title I school when I graduate and trying to get loan forgiveness after the service period ( four years, I think). Anyone know someone who has done something similar? 

I actually just posted a similar topic. I am in my late 30's and a career changer. I live in CO and cannot move for grad school either. I have two kids, 11 and almost 8. It is definitely a challenge trying to figure it all out.

I am 35, and just graduated two weeks ago with my bachelors degree.  I have decided to wait a year before applying, so will be applying for the 2016 school year.  I am not married and don't have children, so relocation will be no problem for me.  I am actually looking forward to moving to another state for school.  However, I do think that grad school is a challenge for any mature student, children or not.  Good luck!

Count me in... 38 married with 2 children (6 & 3), thankfully I have my husbands support. I graduate this May and applied to 3 schools (only 2 locally and 1 online). My GPA is ok,compared to others (3.65) but my GRE SUCKS. I just didn't have time to study with all of my obligations. Thankfully Nova doesn't use that but my other 2 schools do. I made it a point to make contacts with each school and have lots of volunteer experience. Just have to wait it out...hoping my life, volunteer and work experiences count for something. If I don't get in this year, I will retake the GRE.

I'm a member of this club as well.  :)  I'm 39 and have an 8 year old son and a 5 year old son.  I'm working between 12-24 hours per week (usually 12) at my hospital during the school year (but 12 hour day shifts, so that makes it more doable).  I'm taking 16 units per semester and will have my Bachelor's June 2016.  It has been a challenge - I thought this major would be easier than I have found it.  I really want to just get it done as quickly as possible.  Like ripping a band-aid off lol!  I also am a bit nervous as I will likely only be applying to the three local schools so as to not uproot my family.  Plus I live in Cali, where it is more competitive.  The only "non-local" school I may apply to is in Northern Cal where my parents are.  And the only way this would work is if we relocated and moved in with them!  (and no, I have not even discussed this option with them - yet, ha ha...)

I had an amazing study group (and yes, a few were *almost* half my age!)  My group helped immensely as we were always pushing each other to get things done early.  We collaborated a lot on homework and assignments.  We broke up classroom material amongst ourselves in order to compile amazing study guides for tests and finals in a time-saving manner.  And we were also constantly emailing and texting each other, compiling "practice" test questions and answers.  We took advantage of our most challenging classes Professor office hours.  And we took turns doing so - again to save time.  So typically we would have a list of questions or practice material that only one of us would stay late to present to the Professor during office hours.  This helped tremendously - not sure how I would have fared my first semester without them!  

• 3 weeks later...

I am 35 with no children, looking to get into grad school this fall. I can't relocate due to work obligations. I'm also limited to where I can apply for financial reasons.

My GRE scores the third time around are not the greatest but meet the minimum requirement for the verbal and writing portions. I stink in math!

Edited by Arcanelady27

How do Grad schools look at getting an online bachelors or a post-bac online? I have not finished my bachelors yet, so I could transfer to a school like Utah State and finish it, saving time and money not doing a post- bac (if I ended up getting an online degree in something else. I like online schooling because of working and being a mom, it works for me). But it is harder to get into grad school? The one thing I worry about it not having the hands-on, working in clinics, etc for your classes. You can always do volunteer work, but I wonder if the experience would be as good.

Career changer here- about to be 32, finishing grad in May. No kids, but a husband and distant, fond memories of what regular paychecks and a grown-up social life were like.  

Starene29- I also applied to my two closest schools, got into one, rejected from the other.  Have you met the professors at the schools you're applying for? Even though you've already submitted your apps, it might do you well to show your face in the clinic- ask to take a tour, letting them know you've applied to multiple schools and are wanting to get a feel for each one.

Regarding the longer program, unless it's paid for, or there are higher grants available for it, that would be a no-go for me. If I had to spend literally ONE MORE SEMESTER in grad school, without a full-time income above $15/hr, I would go absolutely cuckoo.  

HopefulGrad2017, I did absolutely no clinical work in my undergrad- just volunteer and observation, completely self-guided. I don't know how grad programs look at online programs, but I don't think that's a factor. I will say that you would need to show any grad program that you can conform to their schedule and requirements. I would worry that they might think, since you did undergrad online, that you might not be cut out for being on campus and in clinic for long days.  Obviously, that's not true, but you'll be making your case to a bunch of traditional academics who might spend 12 hours a day on campus. I would just tie in any full-time, in person employment experience in your SOP to allay any fears they might have about that. 

Edited by SpeechyK

What a great thread! I'm 37, graduated in May and decided to take a year off. For me and my family, this was the best decision ever. Not only am I glad I'm applying now instead of in the midst of my last (and crazy-busy) semester at school, but taking the time off is the only way I am able to apply where I want to instead of where I have to. My son is 6 and my SO has a long-established, very good job here in a specialized area of his field that can't really be found elsewhere. For the longest time, I was resigned to the fact that I would have to apply to the same school I earned my undergrad degree in. I didn't love the idea, but, it's different for us 'non-traditionals,' isn't it? ;-) I never thought applying out of state would be possible. I think for most of us 'mature' students it's not just the relocation aspect, but the fact that there is no way to do any job hunting ahead of time. Once you know where you're accepted, you make your decision, and then you need to boogie to get settled. The last-minute nature of it all certainly doesn't allow much wiggle-room for finding a job, let alone selling a house if you need to, etc.

I was lucky, and we decided as a couple that we would move anyway after I completed my Masters. From there, we spoke about me applying to my 'dream' schools just to see. In the end, we decided that staying here offered no more security for us than deciding to move. The program here is very hard to get into, not because it's highly-ranked, but because of the amount of applications they receive. Don't get me wrong, they have a strong program for certain aspects (bilingual/schools), but many of the undergraduates want to stay here and apply. They really don't have any experts in my areas of interest. In the end, we decided the best decision was for me not to even apply here. This offered some degree of security for us--we knew we would be moving, so we could plan for that. My SO is extremely supportive and although it was very scary for him to make this decision, he's also looking forward to it. To make it happen, I had to take a year off in between so we could be ready to move when the time comes. In total, I'm applying to 7 schools, all out of state, and quite a distance away. I'm going to apply to my dream program, two other programs that I would love to attend, and a mix of others that are not so competitive. I'm not applying anywhere we wouldn't want to live (we'd rather not uproot our son again right after grad school), and we're doing our best to scope out houses and job opportunities in the areas I've applied.

It's definitely scary, but exciting too! We're prepared to go anywhere; we'll just have to make some sacrifices to do it. In the end, we decided the sacrifices we'll have to make now are worth it in the long run. My SO saw how hard I worked to get the grades in my undergaduate program and wants to see me at least have the chance to go to the program of my dreams. And so do I! LOL. But, even if that doesn't happen, we both decided it would be so much better for us not to have to move after grad school. I'll feel much more confident job-searching with all the connections I've made in my graduate program.

Hey there, I'm not necessarily a "mature student" but I am going through something that I think maybe you guys can help with more than the traditional student. I am at a precipice right now in deciding what to do about my career goals. I was recently accepted into a teaching fellowship for bilingual education in the public school system where the fellowship pays for most of the graduate degree in education. However, I also applied for graduate schools after completing the pre requisite coursework in speech pathology and am now waiting for admissions decisions. If I take the teaching fellowship that I was accepted into, how long are my prerequisites in speech path. good for if I do not like teaching and want to pursue speech pathology later on? For example, I know the GRE is good for up to five years, but what about the pre-reqs?

Good luck to everyone! I'm also a "mature student" in my early 40s with three kids at home. I only applied to one school near my home. The logistics of going back to school are daunting, but I think older students have a lot to offer and add some diversity to graduate programs. Hope we all get good news soon!

imjustagirl8, it might be best to speak with the department at the SLP school you are thinking of attending.  They could give you specifics on how old prereqs can be. Some schools might be different.

I just had a tour of University of Northern Colorado and met with an advisor of the SLP and Aud programs. She was very nice and helpful. Showed me around the building that they have all their classes and hands-on experiences with real-life clients that come to their clinic. I am still in undergrad, thinking of transferring in the fall to do my final two years in SLP. I voiced my concerns being a "mature" student with kids and unable to move for grad school. She was completely upfront with me how competitive it is. But also gave me options if I pursue SLP and do not get into grad school the first round. They offer one extra course with a mentor for a SLPA certificate. At least here in Colorado they are in high demand. Many students also get a master's in special education. Some come back to do their SLP masters, others do not. Just ways to boost your resume and look even better. You want to look good on paper (she suggested 3.5 GPA and better), but also stand out and show your commitment to the field. To prove yourself, so to speak. 

I really thought that after I spoke with her I would realize this dream was too hard and change my mind. But now I really want to go for it. I loved the campus and everything she showed me. It was so exciting! I really am a hands-on learner. I just wanted to try out everything instead of just looking. And I never considered it before, but the Audiology program sounded interesting as well.