**SDSU MSW APPLICANTS 2015 **

Sh!zaam

Hello there fellow MSW@SDSU applicants! I wanted to create a thread specific to our program and school so that we can discuss any thoughts, questions, or concerns here as we are all in the application process! 

As an INITIAL POST it would be nice for everyone to introduce themselves, where they are applying, top choice(s), as well as your academic stats and program concentrations you're applying to.

I'm applying to two schools this year, San Diego State and Cal State Fullerton. My top choice is SDSU in the Direct Practice concentration.

Experience; 5+ years of continuous volunteer work at 4 different sites (most frequent one was at a high school at the local school district), and just early this month I started a job at the same school district as a special education para-educator. Also, I was an undergraduate research assistant for 1 year in a Child Psychology lab.

Education; Psychology major (AA & BA) -- 3 years community college GPA ~ 3.7, 2 years at university for remaining of undergrad (transfer course work) GPA ~ 3.15 [pretty low I know , I went through some difficult times while away at the university]. Accumulated undegrad GPA: 3.41 -- GPA last 60 units: 3.2

GRE; this is my only real weak point, I somehow scored a 3.5 even though I know I am a strong writer, I'm pretty sure that my essays we're not scored correctly since I only focused on the writing portion and studied and practiced for 2 months. Anyways, hopefully my SOP proves my writing skills otherwise ^_^  lol.

My concern right now is the fact that I don't even know if my supplemental mail in portion of the SDSU application has been received by the school. I had tracked the envelope via USPS and they told me it arrived in SD but did not say that it got to SDSU. The SSW has not yet updated my info either. I sent my envelope in on 12/11 (Due date 12/15). It arrived in San Diego 12/13 - and I haven't been updated of its status since. Also, now, we're in the holiday season, and I'm pretty sure even if they have received it, it will not be reviewed until mid-January. This is what I'm hoping at least, since I have no idea where my envelope ended up to begin with LOL :unsure: .  Anyone else in the same/similar boat?

So post away! Good luck to everyone in the application process!! Hopefully we all get in  :D  

Edited by Sh!zaam

I feel your concern about status not updating on the SDSU WebPortal. One of my recommenders mailed out my last letter of reference on the last day possible (December 12-13), and my status regarding references has still not been updated. I figure they received many documents around the time of the deadline and due to the holidays it may be difficult to get an update regarding materials until January.

I feel your concern about status not updating on the SDSU WebPortal. One of my recommenders mailed out my last letter of reference on the last day possible (December 12-13), and my status regarding references has still not been updated. I figure they received many documents around the time of the deadline and due to the holidays it may be difficult to get an update regarding materials until January.

Thanks adacot! It's nice to know I'm not alone in this! It's definitely stressful on us because we want to ensure arrival of our documents, specially since we sent them in so close to the deadline. 

Hopefully everything will work out fairly. I am also hoping that WebPortal is updated by or before mid January. :rolleyes:  

Edited by Sh!zaam

Update!

I checked my WebPortal today, and SDSU has received my mail-in portion of the application. Such a relief!! Now the official wait begins for admission decision.

Edited by Sh!zaam

Great! Mine has still not changed, I hope my last recommendation has arrived and it is updated soon....

Based off mine changing this week, I'd say yours will also most likely be updated this week or next week latest. You sent your info from South Korea? If so, it should definitely take longer. I sent mine from Orange County, 1.5 hours outside of San Diego -- and THAT was very slow itself. Hang in there! Keep me/us posted! *positive vibes*  :)

Hello there fellow MSW@SDSU applicants! I wanted to create a thread specific to our program and school so that we can discuss any thoughts, questions, or concerns here as we are all in the application process! 

As an INITIAL POST it would be nice for everyone to introduce themselves, where they are applying, top choice(s), as well as your academic stats and program concentrations you're applying to.

I'm applying to two schools this year, San Diego State and Cal State Fullerton. My top choice is SDSU in the Direct Practice concentration.

Experience; 5+ years of continuous volunteer work at 4 different sites (most frequent one was at a high school at the local school district), and just early this month I started a job at the same school district as a special education para-educator. Also, I was an undergraduate research assistant for 1 year in a Child Psychology lab.

Education; Psychology major (AA & BA) -- 3 years community college GPA ~ 3.7, 2 years at university for remaining of undergrad (transfer course work) GPA ~ 3.15 [pretty low I know , I went through some difficult times while away at the university]. Accumulated undegrad GPA: 3.41 -- GPA last 60 units: 3.2

GRE; this is my only real weak point, I somehow scored a 3.5 even though I know I am a strong writer, I'm pretty sure that my essays we're not scored correctly since I only focused on the writing portion and studied and practiced for 2 months. Anyways, hopefully my SOP proves my writing skills otherwise ^_^  lol.

My concern right now is the fact that I don't even know if my supplemental mail in portion of the SDSU application has been received by the school. I had tracked the envelope via USPS and they told me it arrived in SD but did not say that it got to SDSU. The SSW has not yet updated my info either. I sent my envelope in on 12/11 (Due date 12/15). It arrived in San Diego 12/13 - and I haven't been updated of its status since. Also, now, we're in the holiday season, and I'm pretty sure even if they have received it, it will not be reviewed until mid-January. This is what I'm hoping at least, since I have no idea where my envelope ended up to begin with LOL :unsure: .  Anyone else in the same/similar boat?

So post away! Good luck to everyone in the application process!! Hopefully we all get in  :D  

I emailed the graduate assistant from SDSU, and she said that they are looking for a minimum of a 4 on the analytical writing portion  :unsure:

I emailed the graduate assistant from SDSU, and she said that they are looking for a minimum of a 4 on the analytical writing portion  :unsure:

I have also been in contact with her throughout the application process. She told me that they do not disqualify scores under 4 nor should I be discouraged. Additionally, she mentioned that a good personal statement would be considered more heavily than the low GRE score. I have a pretty amazing SOP written and reviewed by three professors, and 2 MSW students which will clearly demonstrate my writing abilities against my fluke of a GRE score. Thanks for looking out though, I'm gonna stay hopeful because everything else about me as an applicant is close to perfect; lots of experience, diverse background (I was not born in the US and know 4 languages), decent GPA, as well as solid LOR's and SOP :rolleyes: . 

Looking at the previous years admission decisions for SDSU, they started releasing decisions the end of February. Won't be too long I hope! :)  

Edited by Sh!zaam

I have also been in contact with her throughout the application process. She told me that they do not disqualify scores under 4 nor should I be discouraged. Additionally, she mentioned that a good personal statement would be considered more heavily than the low GRE score. I have a pretty amazing SOP written and reviewed by three professors, and 2 MSW students which will clearly demonstrate my writing abilities against my fluke of a GRE score. Thanks for looking out though, I'm gonna stay hopeful because everything else about me as an applicant is close to perfect; lots of experience, diverse background (I was not born in the US and know 4 languages), decent GPA, as well as solid LOR's and SOP :rolleyes: . 

thats good to know, i wish she would have told me that because my writing score was not so good. 

thats good to know, i wish she would have told me that because my writing score was not so good.

Well, I'm sure you're score wasn't as low as mine otherwise she would have told you that also. If you have a 4 and above you're solid for SDSU. I emailed her in a panic because I took the GRE over a month ago and was confident I would do well because I practiced so much. But I didnt, and the graduate assistant let me know that I would not get denied for having a low GRE score alone and told me to make sure everything else about my application is perfect or near it.

Im sure you're gonna be fine!

Well, I'm sure you're score wasn't as low as mine otherwise she would have told you that also. If you have a 4 and above you're solid for SDSU. I emailed her in a panic because I took the GRE over a month ago and was confident I would do well because I practiced so much. But I didnt, and the graduate assistant let me know that I would not get denied for having a low GRE score alone and told me to make sure everything else about my application is perfect or near it.

Thank you!!!!! 

what program did you choose? I chose the advanced standing but i doubt i'll get into that one, im hoping they'll consider me for the 2 or 3 year if not. 

what program did you choose? I chose the advanced standing but i doubt i'll get into that one, im hoping they'll consider me for the 2 or 3 year if not.

I chose the 2 year direct practice, if not then the 3 year direct practice.

Hopefully they will if you don't get your first choice! What was your undergrad major, social work?

Oh, then why do you doubt getting into the ASP? Sounds like you meet all the requirements.

Well because they said the average gpa a person has when entering is a 3.5. and i don't have that. and theres 400+ applicants. but never know what could happen! im hopeful

Well because they said the average gpa a person has when entering is a 3.5. and i don't have that. and theres 400+ applicants. but never know what could happen! im hopeful

I see, well, you should still stay positive because like you said you never know! *positibe vibes* my friend.

Update:

Got an official email from SDSU SSW administrative assistant saying my application is complete and in for review; surely you all got the same email.

Yay!

Oh, now I'm worried something has gone wrong....I tried calling the office yesterday, and when I got transferred to the right person to ask, there was no answer...my last letter was supposed to be sent from my recommender in Riverside county, directly to the department, since I am out of the country, but I am not sure if it just never sent, got lost in the mail, mishandled by the department, or is still being processed :(

Oh, now I'm worried something has gone wrong....I tried calling the office yesterday, and when I got transferred to the right person to ask, there was no answer...my last letter was supposed to be sent from my recommender in Riverside county, directly to the department, since I am out of the country, but I am not sure if it just never sent, got lost in the mail, mishandled by the department, or is still being processed :(

Stay positive!! I have a good feeling it is still being processed! I would email the Graduate Assistant and ask her for advice on what to do or who to call.  Also, I would keep trying the department itself via phone as you already have. 

Sending positive vibes your way! Let us know what happens. :rolleyes:

Thanks, I have called, emailed once and left one voicemail, all directly to Angela Albert, who apparently is in charge of letters...I hope I am not bothering too much :(

I don't know, I'm sure they'd understand your worry from your persistence and circumstance. I emailed the heck out of the Graduate Assistant throughout the application process, I thought I was bothering her, but she seemed eager to help and was very understanding.

I say, do what you feel like you have to do, just be kind and apologetic about it [which I'm sure you have been] ! :)   

As I feared, my last reference never bothered to send out the reference form for SDSU, probably because it was a paper form, not an online one like most of the other schools I applied to.....thankfully SDSU said my reference could email it to them now and it would be accepted....