**SDSU MSW APPLICANTS 2015 **

Sh!zaam

That is awesome! Congratulations! Now you can take a deep breath and relax.  

Thank you so much  :) !!! SERIOUSLY, I was getting too anxious and worked up over it towards the end there LOL  :lol:

YAY CONGRATSS!!! 

Yay!!! Congrats! Yeah, the anxiety is REAL haha, but I'm so happy for you! :D

Thanks guys  :lol: !! This was my top choice out of the 2 programs I applied to -- I wouldn't' have been as happy going to CSUF compared to SDSU.  I am so relived. I thought I wouldn't get in, but I guess they really do look at you as an overall applicant rather than just GRE AWA and GPA.

I can't contain my happiness! HAHA  :D

Also, if any of you will be going to SDSU, I am looking for a roommate to share an apartment with! Let me know if you're interested ASAP. I've already started the hunt for a place!

Thanks  :)

congrats Sh!zaam !! I was officially rejected yesterday since I didn't get 3 letters into that school. Closure :)

Thank you!! 

I'm sorry to hear that tho, will you applying for Fall 2016? Or are you awaiting other responses from other schools? Either way I wish you the best of luck!!  :)

I checked my status online for SDSU today and officially got denied. :/ But its all good because I have UCLA (which I was leaning toward more after consideration), so all is well! :) I wish everyone the best and good luck!!!

I checked my status online for SDSU today and officially got denied. :/ But its all good because I have UCLA (which I was leaning toward more after consideration), so all is well! :) I wish everyone the best and good luck!!!

Aww I'm sorry! But hey UCLA is amazing, I knew I wouldn't get it in to UCLA so I didn't bother applying (GRE scores and GPA under 3.5). Good luck and best wishes, and thank you for sharing, I'm sure future applicants will find all of this info to be very helpful.  :)

Edited by Sh!zaam

Congratulations getting into UCLA! It's an amazing school. 

Aw man! I wish I would've found this forum back in December to at least vent all my stress! ( I kept finding past years' posts). The level of stress experienced from this was CRAZY.

Congrats to all who got in! I am processing my rejection and hoping to meet with admissions director for some feedback.

I was denied first via email on 3/3 and received a letter on Friday 3/6 (letter was dated for 3/9) I'm super bummed since I thought I had a chance. My GPA isn't competitive (2.87) but overall I am a well-rounded student (even got accepted to Peace Corps and I terminated my service) Scored a 4 on GRE, submitted my application in October and had SOLID letters of rec. Additionally my personal statement was strong and even explained the reason behind my GPA (lack of exposure, first generation college student etc.) I have always worked in non-profits, grassroots orgs so I have over 8000 hours of experience. It is sad that a university prefers a high number than a well rounded student who is dedicated to the field.

I will try again next year!

Good luck to you all !!!

@wanderlustinginstead

I wish I could have found this forum as well!

I received was denied via email (3/4), and received a letter in the mail stating that I was not admitted last night (3/9). I submitted my complete application to SDSU on 11/17/14, and did not hear back from then until 3/4. Personally, I feel like the way in which they decide who does and does not get in to the program is rather unfair.

I have heard that they give more consideration and preference to BSW's over other major. I am a Child & Family Development major, with the hopes of achieving a career with child welfare services. I have been actively involved in SDSU's neighboring community of City Heights, applied with a 3.4 GPA; however, I did not get a high score on the GRE (I got a 3). My peers recommend that I file an appeal, so do not be discouraged! As with you, I also feel that my personal statement and letters of recommendation were strong. In addition, I feel the same about how they prefer higher numbers over well-rounded students (it's kind of like they are going against their practice! :/ ) I encourage you to file an appeal! Nothing wrong with trying :) 

Aw man! I wish I would've found this forum back in December to at least vent all my stress! ( I kept finding past years' posts). The level of stress experienced from this was CRAZY.

Congrats to all who got in! I am processing my rejection and hoping to meet with admissions director for some feedback.

I was denied first via email on 3/3 and received a letter on Friday 3/6 (letter was dated for 3/9) I'm super bummed since I thought I had a chance. My GPA isn't competitive (2.87) but overall I am a well-rounded student (even got accepted to Peace Corps and I terminated my service) Scored a 4 on GRE, submitted my application in October and had SOLID letters of rec. Additionally my personal statement was strong and even explained the reason behind my GPA (lack of exposure, first generation college student etc.) I have always worked in non-profits, grassroots orgs so I have over 8000 hours of experience. It is sad that a university prefers a high number than a well rounded student who is dedicated to the field.

I will try again next year!

Good luck to you all !!!

@wanderlustinginstead

I wish I could have found this forum as well!

I received was denied via email (3/4), and received a letter in the mail stating that I was not admitted last night (3/9). I submitted my complete application to SDSU on 11/17/14, and did not hear back from then until 3/4. Personally, I feel like the way in which they decide who does and does not get in to the program is rather unfair.

I have heard that they give more consideration and preference to BSW's over other major. I am a Child & Family Development major, with the hopes of achieving a career with child welfare services. I have been actively involved in SDSU's neighboring community of City Heights, applied with a 3.4 GPA; however, I did not get a high score on the GRE (I got a 3). My peers recommend that I file an appeal, so do not be discouraged! As with you, I also feel that my personal statement and letters of recommendation were strong. In addition, I feel the same about how they prefer higher numbers over well-rounded students (it's kind of like they are going against their practice! :/ ) I encourage you to file an appeal! Nothing wrong with trying :)

Hi guys! I'm not sure what they really consider during review of applications, but here is a summary of my stats and why I think I was accepted--because to be honest, I feel that I didn't have a great shot applying to SDSU for various reasons; low GRE, low UC GPA, applying very close to the deadline, and putting my application together in a hurry.

*(Psychology major) 3.1 UC GPA, overall undergad transfer GPA 3.4, last 60 units GPA 3.2(what they consider the most I believe) - similar to your GPA sunsetsd

*3.5 on the GRE AWA - similar to your score sunsetsd, and lower than wanderlustinginstead

*I think a huge factor to their decision is the diversity of the student. I speak 4 languages, 3 at native fluency. I was not born in the US, and wrote about my family's move and assimilation in my personal statement.

*Lastly, my experience.

-I volunteered as a teacher's aid for 5+ years, and still continue to do so. Also, 1 year at Boys and Girls Club.

-1 year research experience

- My jobs as a special needs para-educator 8+ months

Reading up on the old forums from 2011, a person admitted to and already in the program said they consider some other things as well. () (taken info is from user MSW hopeful).

*They said that since SDSU looks at applications on a rolling basis, the earlier you turn in your application the better chance you will have of not being wait-listed/rejected. 

- However, I applied 3 days before the deadline, and was still accepted.

*Their stats were: ~3.2 GPA 3.4 last 60 units, 5 on GRE AWA, 2-3 years volunteer experience in social services

- I only got a 3.5 on the GRE AWA, I have about the same GPA's, but more volunteer years and work under my belt. 

*They also mentioned that ALL of your recommendations MUST be from professors, since SDSU prefers that.

- This wasn't the case for me either, I had 2 professors (one from undergrad at UCSD whose lab I was in, and one from community college), and 1 from an old high school teacher/present volunteer supervisor (whom I worked with for 5+ years)--yet, I was admitted. MSW hopeful also added that when they first applied (before getting admitted the 2nd year), they had gotten recommendations from  2 professors and 1 professional -- and they were NOT admitted. During the 2nd year, they had all 3 recommendations from professors and were admitted.

Everything I read up on these forums in the past made me think I wouldn't get in, including the info I just shared above. I feel like I'm good proof that they DON'T just look at numbers, they care about the applicant as a whole. This is why I would definitely appeal and find out WHY! I had planned on that in case I wasn't admitted.

You both seem like well-rounded and qualified students :) ! Good luck to you both, I hope the info I dug up and shared was of some help!! 

PS, sorry for the long post, just want to help out   :rolleyes:

Edited by Sh!zaam

Yes, rejection sucks.  Some of you are entitled and justified to feel hurt, disappointed, and confused.

By all means, appeal the admission decision if any of you want to.

It's plausible to want to come up with explanations and theories...but unless you know all the other applicants, it seems kind of unfair to judge other applicants as if they weren't qualified or worthy to be accepted.

My conjecture is many people who apply to MSW programs are qualified.  Who can claim any applicant who was accepted isn't "well-rounded" or insinuate it's unreasonable or unfair that BSW majors receiving preference or "more consideration." 

It seems SDSU is a pretty solid and desirable program.  They have high expectations and requirements. It's no surprise they will attract many qualified and experienced students.  Keep in mind hundreds of people apply and space is limited.  Unfortunately, schools can only accept a percentage of applicants.

Schools probably deal with many students who come up with excuses like "Oh I could have done better on the GRE if this or that" or "Oh I could have gotten better grades...."   Maybe for some people, talk is cheap and excuses are a turn-off.

Who knows, maybe your personal statement or statement of purpose wasn't as strong as you thought.  Or maybe your reference wrote a negative LOR without you knowing.  Or maybe, there truly were other applicants who were a little more qualified and desirable.

Anyhow, for any who do appeal, hopefully everything works out.  Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

To those of you admitted to SDSU and will be attending,

Do you guys want to start a Facebook group? I think it would be a good way to get to know at least some people in our cohort before the year begins!
Let me know with a reply or direct message, cuz Facebook wont let me start the group without adding at least one other person to it :/ .

Edited by Sh!zaam

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just curious if anyone else out there is going to be attending SDSU in the fall? Most replies are for the programs in Los Angeles, but not much talk about San Diego. 

I will be attending! Agreed, I haven't seen anyone on here really talking about SD let alone SDSU. Where's the SD people at?  :huh:

• 1 month later...