Issue with LOR writer...

teddybrosevelt

I will spare you a lengthy introduction and get right to it. I have applied to many Earth Science programs and as you all know, many schools require 3 LORs. Two of my LOR writers have submitted all of their letters well in advance while the third writer  waits until the last minute to submit his letters. In two instances already, the letters were submitted after their respective deadlines (and that was after I contacted him several times about the due date).

I have two applications that are due in the next couple of days and he has yet to start or submit his letters. This is truly a mystery to me as we have had a great working relationship for many years and his letter will surely be my strongest. Does anyone have any recommendation on how to handle this? Am I overreacting? 

Thank you in advance!

My final letter was sent 2 days late at my current institution. Nary a word from the program. 

I can assure you that Adcoms dont meet until a few weeks after the deadline. You'll be fine. Just make sure he gets it in within a few days of the deadline. 

Its not your fault, they wont hold it against you (though if it is too tardy you wont be able to match up to the other applicants who have all their letters in).

Oh and also, if you have had contact with POIs who are looking for your application they might solicite the letter from him directly.

Edited by GeoDUDE!

My advice (same as every year): Don't sweat it. Two days late is not a big deal. Think about it. Your apps are due January 1. Most universities are closed from before Christmas until after New Year's Day. This year, many won't reopen until January 5. That means absolute no one is around to even know the letter is missing. And, more importantly, one late letter isn't the kiss of death for your application. I told this story elsewhere already but I'll add it here too. I once had a program admit me and then tell me they were missing the 3rd rec letter and needed it to nominate me for a university-wide fellowship. This was 3 weeks after the application deadline, mind you. Everyone knows a late letter isn't your fault and they don't hold it against the applicant.

Thank you for your replies!

These are all things I have heard from mentors in the past however, it is nice to hear it from those who have recently been in my position. I suppose that because this is my first attempt at applying for graduate studies I am overly cautious!

Thanks again!

What I did, although it might have been rushed, is that I change the writer, I wanted to submit 2 academic LOR and one from my work, but since that particular professor wouldn't even respond to say that he's busy, I changed him for one from work (my project leader actually).

I know he was busy, I contacted him over the phone and even then he didn't say he would take so much time. I was sorry because he was my thesis supervisor in college, but I gave him like 2 months notice, he said he would do it, and still he didn't make the effort. My only writer from college not only is busier than him, but also submitted his letter a few days after I asked him.

Anyway, I guess in your case as the others said you'll be fine. 

What I did, although it might have been rushed, is that I change the writer, I wanted to submit 2 academic LOR and one from my work, but since that particular professor wouldn't even respond to say that he's busy, I changed him for one from work (my project leader actually).

I know he was busy, I contacted him over the phone and even then he didn't say he would take so much time. I was sorry because he was my thesis supervisor in college, but I gave him like 2 months notice, he said he would do it, and still he didn't make the effort. My only writer from college not only is busier than him, but also submitted his letter a few days after I asked him.

Anyway, I guess in your case as the others said you'll be fine. 

I was hoping to avoid doing this as we will continue to work together into the spring months. I was mainly afraid this would completely eliminate me from applicant pools as many schools say "ALL MATERIALS ARE DUE _______". I know some programs require all materials to be submitted before the ADCOM will even look at your application.

Anyways, I will continue to politely prod and hope for the best

In your case, teddybrosevelt, don't change your letter writer. You are currently working with this person and you said they will be your strongest letter writer. Like everyone else said, don't worry about it. If the deadline is Jan 1, and the letter has not been submitted by the end of the day on Jan 5, I would check in with your prof one more time. If they say they will need a few more days, then let the school you are applying to know. 

I am currently in a earth/planetary science program with a Jan 1 deadline (I think, maybe it's moved now). The general timeline is that the first two business weeks of January will be spent reviewing applications. Then there will be a big faculty meeting. Then, decisions are announced in the third week. 

In my opinion, the admissions committee will have enough information to "generally" evaluate you with 2 out of 3 letters submitted. No single part of your application can be so positive that it completely changes your ranking/evaluation. If you are extremely strong, then they will be willing to wait until the last letter arrive (just to make sure it's not super negative) before they make the offer to you. If you are extremely weak, then it's unlikely the final letter can do anything to make you competitive. If you are in the middle and it's basically down to you and a few others for the last few offers, then as long as your final letter arrives before they make the final offer decisions, it should be okay.

It's not like without this final letter, the admissions committee has no opinion about you! Just remind your prof once school opens again! Good luck :)

In your case, teddybrosevelt, don't change your letter writer. You are currently working with this person and you said they will be your strongest letter writer. Like everyone else said, don't worry about it. If the deadline is Jan 1, and the letter has not been submitted by the end of the day on Jan 5, I would check in with your prof one more time. If they say they will need a few more days, then let the school you are applying to know. 

I am currently in a earth/planetary science program with a Jan 1 deadline (I think, maybe it's moved now). The general timeline is that the first two business weeks of January will be spent reviewing applications. Then there will be a big faculty meeting. Then, decisions are announced in the third week. 

In my opinion, the admissions committee will have enough information to "generally" evaluate you with 2 out of 3 letters submitted. No single part of your application can be so positive that it completely changes your ranking/evaluation. If you are extremely strong, then they will be willing to wait until the last letter arrive (just to make sure it's not super negative) before they make the offer to you. If you are extremely weak, then it's unlikely the final letter can do anything to make you competitive. If you are in the middle and it's basically down to you and a few others for the last few offers, then as long as your final letter arrives before they make the final offer decisions, it should be okay.

It's not like without this final letter, the admissions committee has no opinion about you! Just remind your prof once school opens again! Good luck :)

Great advice! Thank you!