Admissions anxiety: dreams/nightmares?

MathCat

So, I can't be the only one who has had dreams/nightmares about admissions. I thought it could be fun to share. I've had two dreams that I can recall:

1. I dreamed that I was accepted into Cambridge with an amazing full-ride scholarship. But they only gave me two days to decide, which made me mad and I rage-rejected them.
  2. I dreamed that I got rejected from my "safer bet" school, but they decided to offer me a job making burgers in their cafeteria instead. LOL!

No dreams, but just a never-ending, nerve-wrecking cycle of thoughts 24/7 which goes something like this: 

1. I wonder when I'll hear back. 

2. There's nothing I can do. My applications are done, so I may as well just try to enjoy the downtime. 

3. But what if I don't get in anywhere?

4. But I worked so. hard. on everything! There must be at least ONE program that will see that and take me. 

5. Oh but what if there is some mistake on my application that causes all the programs to reject me? 

Repeat 4 & 5 several times before going back to 1 to start the cycle all over again. I wish I could just hiberate until the decisions came out. 

I dreamed that there was a gradcafe used by all of the adcoms at various schools/programs, and they were talking about us (the applicants) and their chances of getting us to accept their admissions offers.

My top choice school called me their "safety".

Well, I suppose it's true!

My mom had a dream that there was an error on the app to my top-choice school (something about dates not matching up), and I had to do it all over again.

I haven't had any dreams about applications or admissions, but that may be because the anxiety is keeping me awake!

I had a dream that one of my first choice schools rejected me but took the time to specify exactly how terrible my SOP was...and sent me a T shirt that said something along the lines of "X School thinks I suck"

I woke up terrified that I had actually submitted the SOP that I had apparently written in the dream

1. I dreamed that I got rejected from my "safer bet" school, but they decided to offer me a job making burgers in their cafeteria instead. LOL!

Ahah I had a similar one!  I took a job as windows cleaner at my top-choice!

For this dream to work, the front of Columbia has to be in downtown DC, and the back has to open into the Forbidden City in Beijing. Columbia University is also only one building. Go with it.

I was visiting DC, and I passed the entrance of Columbia. I thought I'd just drop into the department to which I am applying (why not?!). Tour groups were gathering in the entry way, and I went up to the guy who, according to my dream memory, gave me a tour a few months earlier. He was so friendly - SO friendly - until I told him I hadn't registered for a tour, and just wanted to stop by the department. He got SO MAD and drove me from the building.

On my way out the back, I passed two faculty members I admire, but couldn't get up the nerve to talk to them. Then I just sulked around the Forbidden City, considering making  calls from (but not actually making, ie. looking emotively at) the QWERTY phone I had in high school and apparently still used in this dream.

I woke up and was super upset with myself for not talking to those faculty members. Then I remembered: I didn't even apply to Columbia.

I keep dreaming that my friend and I get accepted to a school in the US where we didn't apply and I end up being really anxious that they are going to realize their mistake and kick me out

I had my first admissions-related dream last night. I dreamt that I checked my e-mail on my phone and had about 10 e-mails from UT Knoxville. They all said different things. I had an invitation to interview, and acceptance, a rejection, a request for more information, and some other ones I can't remember.

These two are my favorite:

So, I can't be the only one who has had dreams/nightmares about admissions. I thought it could be fun to share. I've had two dreams that I can recall:

1. I dreamed that I was accepted into Cambridge with an amazing full-ride scholarship. But they only gave me two days to decide, which made me mad and I rage-rejected them.

I dreamed that there was a gradcafe used by all of the adcoms at various schools/programs, and they were talking about us (the applicants) and their chances of getting us to accept their admissions offers.

My top choice school called me their "safety".

I don't dream/nightmare about the process, or about applications or admissions, or even attending programs. I dream/nightmare about my family (not) adjusting to the new city we move to... In essence, I dream about them "rage-rejecting" me for bringing them out there, haha...  :wacko:

I had the first one last night. I dreamed that I was invited for an interview at the University of Rochester and loved it there.  Everyone seemed to have loved me as well, but then I got rejected. I don't know why precisely Rochester though.

Had a dream two nights ago that I was admitted and I was preparing to take comps soon, for which I remember grinning with extreme smugness since I knew everything. Only after I opened my eyes that it was all a dream... I was so frustrated that I began punching my pillow lol.

I finally had one! My (recently turned) ex-SO was serving on the graduate admissions committee at my dream school & told my POI all about how I got sad about the breakup even though I did the breaking up and obviously I'm an emotional wreck and wouldn't be good for the school. Luckily the dream ended with my current research mentor getting a call from my POI, the mentor raved about me and they agreed to still consider me.

No dreams, but just a never-ending, nerve-wrecking cycle of thoughts 24/7 which goes something like this: 

2. There's nothing I can do. My applications are done, so I may as well just try to enjoy the downtime. 

4. But I worked so. hard. on everything! There must be at least ONE program that will see that and take me. 

5. Oh but what if there is some mistake on my application that causes all the programs to reject me? 

Repeat 4 & 5 several times before going back to 1 to start the cycle all over again. I wish I could just hiberate until the decisions came out. 

Oh! man, this is me right now. And as an international student I think is somehow worst because I'm not familiarized with the system. Will I get an interview? Do I need one to get in? what if I dontt get one? when do they send those? aaagh!

Edited by GeoMex

S.A.M.E. Wake up with a rested look and nice fat envelopes lol

I had a dream two night ago that I couldn't get to the airport to catch the plane for my interview. I woke up with my heart racing. Glad to hear I am not alone!

Ugh, had ANOTHER dream about an interview last night - I was having a phone interview with a prof at University of Chicago (I didn't even apply for that school for this fall! Don't even know why I had that interview haha), and as soon as I finished talking, she said "okay, thank you for your time" and simply hung up on me. 

I hope that certainly doesn't happen with my real-life phone interviews in the upcoming future lol...

People in my discipline have started to hear back from various schools, so last night I dreamed I got accepted to UPenn and the Harvard POI contacted me about an interview.  At least it wasn't a nightmare! 

Uh, I had one where I thought I had woken up to turn off my alarm and when I checked my email on my phone I saw a rejection from one of my schools. Not even my top choice... Plus, for the nightmare to be true the school would have had to have sent out the emails in the middle of the night! I wish we could get our admissions decision immediately after submitting our applications and just be done with it. The waiting is the hardest part. 

Last fall when I was visiting schools and meeting POIs, I dreamt that I got into a car accident on the way to one of the meetings. It was SO vivid. I can still see the wreckage of the car in my mind.