Any other Fall 2015 MS in forensic science applicants out there?

dpowe003

I'm not sure if there's a thread for this already. I had trouble locating one. I also am not sure if there is a better umbrella forum for this topic. I just selected the chemistry forum because I'm an undergrad chem major, and I want to specialize in forensic toxicology. If any of the admins feel this needs to be relocated, by all means do!

Anyway, hi everyone! I'm currently finishing up my undergrad BA in forensic chemistry at a public university in California. All forensic chemistry really means at my school is a regular BA in chemistry with a few criminal justice classes added into the breadth requirements. I have been in and out of a few colleges (university and CC level) since I graduated from high school in 2008. I struggled in my early years as I decided what I wanted to do with my life as well as learning how to be disciplined, and for that reason I don't have a great GPA. My cumulative is currently at 3.13, but it has taken me years to bring it back up to that point. I have been at my current university since fall of 2012. I am worried about my academic history working against me as admissions committees look over my applications. I sought out professors I knew within the past year who can testify to my work ethic, including my research advisor, so I'm hoping their recommendations will work in my favor as well as evidence of an upward trend in my transcripts. In addition to finishing up my upper division-level courses, I am currently doing computational chemistry research on a project with toxicological applications.

I'm not seeking advice on my chances because it's a moot point, and I'm well aware that I may not get in anywhere with my low GPA and my average GRE scores. I just wanted to start a thread for anyone else out there who is also applying to Fall 2015 MSFS programs :) My GRE was 154/154/4.5, and if I don't get in anywhere this round I know I'll be retaking the exam. I have applications in to UC Davis, George Washington University, Sam Houston State University, University of Alabama in Birmingham, and Oklahoma State University in Tulsa. I cut my list down because I couldn't afford to apply to more of the FEPAC-accredited programs. Hopefully at least one of the five works out!

Good luck to everyone else who is also applying! :)

Edited by dpowe003

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for making this thread! 

I, too, am applying to FEPAC-accredited programs. I actually also want to specialize in forensic toxicology. I know you said you couldn't afford to apply to anymore, but I think you should look at Boston University. I went to an open house there and they said they focus much more on work/research experience and what your recommendations say about your work ethic than scores. Obviously, they don't want to see a very low scores, but your scores aren't low so you'd be fine.

A little about myself. I graduated in May from a state school in Connecticut. I majored in biochemistry and graduated with a 3.52. My GRE scores are V161/Q157/4.5. I have about 2 years of research experience and one publication, but no research experience in the toxicology field. I am currently working as a lab analyst for a water company.

So far, I have applied to BU, will submit my application to GWU within the next week, and now I'm desperately trying to figure out which schools I would want to go to. 

I thought of applying to Boston. In fact I probably should have, but it's too late at this point. I'm not worried about it though. I'm hoping at least one of the programs I applied to will accept me. Maybe I'll even get lucky and have to choose between a few!

Someone from the program at Sam Houston State has been very good about being in contact with me regarding late arrival of my transcripts (even though their deadline was December 31st). No fault of my own. I ordered them in plenty of time. Just, as you know, it takes forever to match records to your application... Anyway, the lady I'd been speaking to from their program told me that they just needed my final transcript from my current institution to arrive before my application file could be complete (it has since arrived, luckily). She also said that I'm a good candidate for their MSFS program. I'm hoping that's a good sign :D  We will see!

My applications for all 5 programs I applied to are complete. George Washington, Sam Houston State, and U of A Birmingham are currently under department review. UC Davis told me in an email that they won't start looking at applications until mid-February. And OK State says on their website that they don't start reviewing applications until after the deadline (March 1st).

Aaand it's a rejection from GWU. Oh well. I'm not surprised. I was expecting it. I don't feel too much of a loss though. I'm still looking forward to hearing from the other schools I applied to. :)

• 1 month later...

How long before SHSU contacted you about acceptance? I was told they would continue to accept applications until 3/31 (today). I JUST applied. Curious how long I need to sweat it? :)

• 3 weeks later...