GEM 2015 Fellowship

GradStudent2015

Hello Everybody,

I just signed up to this website and I am very glad to share my GEM experience with you. 

I applied to to early consideration, and my employer status went from umatched to held in December. Early January my status changed to matched, after a week I got contacted by Mitre Corp for a summer internship. However, the company was interested in students who are willing to study cybersecurity as their major in the MS degree, and in the interview I told them my intended program is Robotics and Control. The intreviewer told me that he will pass my resume to other departments, however I was continously checking the status which was saying matching. Last week I realized that my status was changed to released which means I am now back in the pool.  <_< . We will see what comes up next. I will keep posting here for updates.

Thanks

Did anyone applying manage to get perfect GRE scores in either quant or verbal this year? My understanding is that a stellar performance on the GRE can be the difference that makes a difference in the selection process...

Hey everyone! I applied for early consideration and my status has been "Matched" since December, but I have not been contacted by any GEM employers. Last week, I got accepted to one of the schools I applied to and updated my GEM profile accordingly. Shortly thereafter, a new field populated in my GEM application status under the 'Graduate Schools' section which asks which school I plan to attend. It states:

"In order to complete your application, we need to know which university you intend to matriculate through. At least one university has indicated that you have been accepted and that they are willing to sponsor you. If you choose to go to a university that sponsors you, and an employer agrees to sponsor you, you will become a GEM Fellow."

I'm just hoping I get contacted by a GEM employer soon.

Mine changed from released to 'matched'  yesterday. I have not been contacted by any employer yet. I have been however independently  looking for internships and have been offered position at three companies, two Gem member employee and one non member. 

Hey everyone! I applied for early consideration and my status has been "Matched" since December, but I have not been contacted by any GEM employers. Last week, I got accepted to one of the schools I applied to and updated my GEM profile accordingly. Shortly thereafter, a new field populated in my GEM application status under the 'Graduate Schools' section which asks which school I plan to attend. It states:

"In order to complete your application, we need to know which university you intend to matriculate through. At least one university has indicated that you have been accepted and that they are willing to sponsor you. If you choose to go to a university that sponsors you, and an employer agrees to sponsor you, you will become a GEM Fellow."

I'm just hoping I get contacted by a GEM employer soon.

How exactly did you update your GEM profile to indicate that you were accepted into a program? I was under the impression that the university itself changed that. Do you mean you changed your status to "Applicant Self Reported Accepted"?

Edited by btsulliv

How exactly did you update your GEM profile to indicate that you were accepted into a program? I was under the impression that the university itself changed that. Do you mean you changed your status to "Applicant Self Reported Accepted"?

Yes, I changed my status to "Applicant Self Reported Accepted" for that particular school. Sorry for the confusion.

I have a quick question. I remember when we started this application we selected from a few employers. Does our application only go to them or does it go to all the ones that participate in GEM?

Has anybody heard anything? I tried contacting the office (via email) but I have yet to get a reply. Are we to assume that there is no longer hope? My status has been "Held" since I submitted my application. Anybody else in a similar situation?

i think held is a really good thing apparently.

so just hope it stays taht way!

mine has been released for some time now :'(

I hope you're right. I just want to know a final decision already. The suspense is eating me alive. Good luck to you!

I called the office and I was told that they won't stop offering fellowships until mid-to-late April, as other applicants accept or deny offers. It's mostly due to the employers being given much leeway in when they can finalize their choices.  I recommend for future reference that you call the office directly than email them.  They tend to be more forward with you over the phone than over email.  

Edited by attackonthedoctor

This is my experience:

I applied by the regular deadline of November 15th. I remember that early December my status changed to "Draft Match". Then around mid-December it changed to "Matched". But right right before New Year's Eve, it switched to "Released". I had given up hope and started preparing for my interview with Colorado last week, March 6th. I called the GEM office just to confirm I was out of the race and the admin told me I was back to "Matched" that morning (March 4th).

I felt hopeful again and then I casually checked my status again yesterday (Sunday, March 8th) and noticed my status changed "Held". From everyone else's experience as well as my own, this whole GEM thing can be a roller coaster ride for sure. As of yet, I have not been contacted by any Employer.

Do any of you know if a school is willing to fund your PhD, would offer conflict with the GEM Fellowship funding? And if "Self Reporting" as accepted to your listed schools can hurt/help the likelihood of being interviewed/reviewed by an Employer?

The best of luck to you all.

Goal: PhD Aerospace ENG (Nanoscale Thermal Control Subsystems)

Applied: MIT, Georgia Tech, Colorado, Stanford, U Mich

Rejected: MIT, Georgia Tech

Waiting: Stanford, U Mich

Accepted: Colorado

Me Too. My status changed to matched today. Hoping for the best. :rolleyes:

Goal:Masters in ECE (Robotics and Control)

Applied: WPI, University of Illinois at Chicago, Northwestern U

Rejected: 

Waiting: WPI,Northwestern U

Accepted: University of Illinois at Chicago

Has anybody heard anything? I tried contacting the office (via email) but I have yet to get a reply. Are we to assume that there is no longer hope? My status has been "Held" since I submitted my application. Anybody else in a similar situation?

My status has also gone through several iterations, "Matched", "Released", and now "Held." Honestly I have no idea what to make of all this, and in candor I know that my profile is not very competitive in comparison to the rest of you guys (apart from decent GRE scores). All the best though, good luck!

Ah! My status is matched! I hope something good comes of this... i also got a weird call from a China area code... i don't know if its related, but hopefully they call back!

Heard anything?!

Edited by MechEGR17

My story: 

I applied to the GEM Fellowship for early consideration, received the email saying to make sure I apply to the 3 schools by 1/15. I applied to 4 and had them all verified by the middle of Feb. My employer status said matched for a long time. A few weeks ago I was released, and an hour later it switched back to matched. Now my status says "held". I thought they were sending out denial letters by the 15th. Does anyone know if they're just running behind? Like a lot of us graduate in the next couple of months....Shouldn't we know our next step by now? "/ 

My story: 

I applied to the GEM Fellowship for early consideration, received the email saying to make sure I apply to the 3 schools by 1/15. I applied to 4 and had them all verified by the middle of Feb. My employer status said matched for a long time. A few weeks ago I was released, and an hour later it switched back to matched. Now my status says "held". I thought they were sending out denial letters by the 15th. Does anyone know if they're just running behind? Like a lot of us graduate in the next couple of months....Shouldn't we know our next step by now? "/ 

I'm in a similar situation: I also applied for early consideration and my status was 'matched' from December to about 5 days ago, when it changed to 'held'. I have not heard anything from GEM or any GEM employers.

From reading previous threads on this site, it seems like they are behind every year. Just hoping for the best.

I'm in a similar situation: I also applied for early consideration and my status was 'matched' from December to about 5 days ago, when it changed to 'held'. I have not heard anything from GEM or any GEM employers.

From reading previous threads on this site, it seems like they are behind every year. Just hoping for the best.

:( True well hopefully.....we'll hear back soon. 

I thought to help you out since I know how not knowing what is going on with GEM can drive you nuts. I won a GEM fellowship last year so I know what you are going through. First here is what it means:

matched - GEM has not ruled you out yet but they are still looking for an employer to sponsor you

held - GEM has found an employer who wants you. If they contact you and you sign the papers, congratulations! You are a full GEM fellow

released - sorry the employer did not want to sponsor you! Touch luck. Hope your status changes to matched soon or you will be without a GEM fellowship in the end....

Good luck with your fellowship applications!!!!

Edited by Manifestin2010

I thought to help you out since I know how not knowing what is going on with GEM can drive you nuts. I won a GEM fellowship last year so I know what you are going through. First here is what it means:

matched - GEM has not ruled you out yet but they are still looking for an employer to sponsor you

held - GEM has found an employer who wants you. If they contact you and you sign the papers, congratulations! You are a full GEM fellow

released - sorry the employer did not want to sponsor you! Touch luck. Hope your status changes to matched soon or you will be without a GEM fellowship in the end....

Good luck with your fellowship applications!!!!

So I appreciate the valuable insight and can sleep easy tonight. The only follow-up's I have are:

1) If we are interviewed by the GEM Employer, can you give us some pointers on how to handle it? How well do we need to know this potential sponsor and what research they are doing?

2) During this interview, does funding ($) get thrown around or does that happen down the road? Do they care which schools have accepted us?

Again, thanks for coming back as a Fellow and quelling our anxiety.