GEM 2015 Fellowship

GradStudent2015

1) Think of it as a job interview because I think some of the sponsors changed their policy that if they pick you as a GEM fellow you will have a job offer after graduation to work there. As to how much you should know, I am not sure. It's all about their impressions of you

2) The schools that have accepted you don't matter. It depends.... if they bring it up then....maybe you should......

The GEM takes a long time. This might even go into early June so brace yourself...........

Good luck!!

1) Think of it as a job interview because I think some of the sponsors changed their policy that if they pick you as a GEM fellow you will have a job offer after graduation to work there. As to how much you should know, I am not sure. It's all about their impressions of you

2) The schools that have accepted you don't matter. It depends.... if they bring it up then....maybe you should......

The GEM takes a long time. This might even go into early June so brace yourself...........

Good luck!!

Awesome and thank you for the wishes. I'm in a weird situation where a professor at Georgia Tech is willing to send me an "acceptance" IF I am awarded the GEM Fellowship. I'm not sure how typical this.

What's been your experience as a GEM Fellow now? Does your corporate sponsor just send the money to your school/advisor? What financial benefits have come from being awarded this fellowship? Any drawbacks with your current sponsor or advisor because of it?

Good luck!!

Thank you for this advice! I already have a school that is considering to sponsor me as a GEM Fellow, though I'm already funded through the school.  This would just be a bonus to help with school expenses and gain job experience.  Do employer sponsors usually contact you directly, or do they do so through GEM?

Hey everyone, my friend received a rejection email on Wednesday the 18th. She apparently selected a school under the "Planning to Attend" tab and days later received the rejection email. I just wanted to share her experience. Her selection may have been unrelated to her rejection but maybe not. Has anyone selected a school and had a status changed?

So I don't know anymore.

MechEGR17, I had the EXACT same thing happen to me this past Friday. I've been accepted into two school thus far. I updated my "Planning to Attend" to one of them about two weeks ago. Shortly thereafter, my GEM Employer status switched to 'HELD' (which we recently found out was a good thing from a former fellow).

Anyway, I started having some dialogue with a professor from the other university and then updated my "Planning to Attend" to the other school. Two days later, this past Friday, I was switched to 'RELEASED'.

I called the GEM office Friday evening and the lady told me all GEM Employers have done their interviews and that I should be receiving a rejection email soon. I also asked her if my GEM Employer status was related to my "Planning to Attend" switch up and she said no. As of now, I have not received a rejection email and do not know what to expect anymore.

Best of luck to all of you

Employers sometimes contact you directly after you have been selected. The funds are disbursed through your university. You are actually more "attractive" if you can get a GEM fellowship to schools, at least, in my opinion and experience. Schools can also give you the GEM fellowship - you become an Associate or University GEM fellow.

So I don't know anymore.

MechEGR17, I had the EXACT same thing happen to me this past Friday. I've been accepted into two school thus far. I updated my "Planning to Attend" to one of them about two weeks ago. Shortly thereafter, my GEM Employer status switched to 'HELD' (which we recently found out was a good thing from a former fellow).

Anyway, I started having some dialogue with a professor from the other university and then updated my "Planning to Attend" to the other school. Two days later, this past Friday, I was switched to 'RELEASED'.

I called the GEM office Friday evening and the lady told me all GEM Employers have done their interviews and that I should be receiving a rejection email soon. I also asked her if my GEM Employer status was related to my "Planning to Attend" switch up and she said no. As of now, I have not received a rejection email and do not know what to expect anymore.

Best of luck to all of you

so my journey through this whole weird process: i went from matched to held and had a phone interview with an employer a few months ago. only just in march was my status changed from released to matched. i'm not sure what this means, but i haven't gotten a rejection letter or anything. has all of the GEM employers done their interviews? i'm soooo confuuuused

expandyourmind,

I am curious to know what they tell you if you call them yourself. I have a friend who's been going through this process also but get's different answers from GEM admins than I do. All I want to know is if there is still a chance for us to get chosen at this point in process?! If not, why haven't I received a rejection email yet? What are they waiting for?! Just put me out of my misery already!

Just an FYI. So from last year, there were like 3 rounds of selection. Some applicants will get automatic rejections in the first round. If you have not been notified, it could be that you are either still under consideration for a GEM fellowship from an employer or they are trying to get you a GEM Associate/University fellowship from the school you are planning to attend (if it delays, they might ask you to contact the school directly). Good news is that if you still have not received a rejection letter yet, you are still in the game. I know that last year Sandia and Mitre took a lot longer time to decide. It is tough to wait but then you are still in the run for the GEM fellowship....Best of luck!

I contacted the office this morning and got some great information. Surely helped me clarify a few misconceptions. So here it is:

Most rejection emails have been sent out. There is one employer who is still making decisions (they didn't say who) but apparently I'm still on their radar (my status says "held" and has been "held" since I submitted my application). My employer selections were Draper, Sandia, and Brookhaven. So, if you selected one of these employers and you haven't received a rejection email then you may also be in the running. Additionally, if you have been accepted by any GEM university then it is advised that you reach out to them and inquire if they're willing to sponsor you as a University Fellow. The status under "planning to attend" means nothing to the employers and the message "At least one university has indicated that they are willing to sponsor you" is an automatic message that everyone gets when they self-report accepted.

Lastly, Gem is pushing this employer to make a decision by the end of this week or next week at the latest. Good luck if you're on their radar.

I hope this helps!

Edited by MechEGR17

I applied last year and was in the extra round with Draper and Sandia labs. Apparently draper req's its interns to be enrolled at a neighboring university.

Last year though, GEM failed to communicate the Associate/University Fellow options with the school I intended to go to and thus they had not budgeted for it. At the end of April 2014 they knew nothing about it. Then I found out that the notice had been sent to the school also in April. Then I was asked what I was going to do now without having the funding, and encouraged to take out loans (which would be in excess of 50k).

So I ended up deferring enrollment and rolling over my application to this year. I was very frustrated to find out I was still req'd to apply to 3 schools (more app/score fees) again despite their error and me having already gotten into the school of my choice. Applied early consideration again this year, reached out to companies early, got responses from a couple right away, a couple after they'd already made selections (some are extraordinarily rude in their interactions with students), and I also applied for co-ops on my own. Last week I received the letter saying I wasn't matched.

I swear I remember seeing last year that if you found an employer on your own you could still get some level of fellowship. As a matter of fact i know of 2 people who did this. I have definitely experienced getting completely different information depending on who answers the phone when you call.

All in all, I'm beyond disappointed and frustrated with what appears to be a lot of disorganization in this process. Needless to say I will not be reapplying. At this point I'm really wondering if this Master's is worth it.

Congrats to everyone who has been selected and best of luck to everyone still in the race!

I was also rejected. I received the email today -- a few minutes after my status changed from 'held' to 'released'. Good luck to those still in the running!

My status still says Held.....I'm pretty sure I know who my employer of interest is.If so, the employer is waiting to see what graduate school I get into. Hopefully I get accepted into an institution. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting! Congrats to everyone who already was accepted into institutions. 

@iStem my status still says Held as well. What employer are you waiting for? How do you know they're waiting for you to get into a program? Did they contact you or did you reach out to them? I'm so anxious. Thanks and good luck to you!!

I interned for one of the National Labs this past summer. So, I've been in constant contact with them since I interned with them. Last time I spoke with one of my lab connects he said that they would sponsor me. Depending on my graduate school choice of course. But, I've been rejected to 2/4 of the schools I applied to. The other 2 aren't looking too good. If I get rejected from both, it will throw me out of the running. 

So I have some news!!!!! I was officially selected as a GEM Intern!!! I went from held to accepted!  It was from the lab!! Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory! Now to get into Grad School :( I wish you luck!!

So I have some news!!!!! I was officially selected as a GEM Intern!!! I went from held to accepted!  It was from the lab!! Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory! Now to get into Grad School :( I wish you luck!!

Congratulations! I'm glad someone got in. :-)