Deciphering SOP Prompts

Some of the prompts I have seen have asked for info about the applicant's relevant background, relevant research experience, motivations for graduate study (period) and motivations for graduate study in this field... and a host of other things.

The prompt I've been working on lately does not ask anything about background, experience, research, or general motivations. Nor are these things covered in depth anywhere else (some of it is covered vaguely by the CV of course). It asks 1: Why you want to study the major, and why in this school, and 2: What research you would do there. 

This is at the MA level.

I have written the specific answers to the prompts, but... it looks and feels weird.  Do I not bother mentioning the relevant points in my background? Do I not set it up contextually? There are also some things in my background that I want to address... but the prompt doesn't seem to leave room for such things.

What would you do? How did you handle your prompts?

I would think your background motivates your decision to do that research at that school, and thus should be included. It is (at least for me), exactly the 'why' they ask for in this prompt. I would have submitted the same SOP for both prompts, with some edits to reflect my reasons for each program.