PhD Social Work Interviews

Val006

Hi there,

I have applied for a mixture of PhD Social Work Programs (University of Pittsburgh & University of Michigan) and a mixture of PhD Clinical Psychology Programs (University of Boulder Colorado, Stanford, Ohio, York and Queen's) and I have already been contacted from one of my POIs from Boulder about potential interviews.  I understand that it is quite standard for interviews to occur for psychology programs but I was wondering if this is also the case for social work programs. Does anyone happen to have any insight?  Thanks!

I am also waiting to hear back from the joint Ph.D. program in Social Work and Sociology at the University of Michigan! Are you applying to the joint program as well? I just assumed an interview would be required, but now I'm curious. I'm interested in following this thread to see the responses. Thanks for posting.

Yes, I am also applying for the joint PhD Program but in Social Work and Clinical Psychology.  I contacted all of my POIs from the University, did not hear back from one of them from the department of psychology but I was pleasantly surprised with how interactive and supportive one of the social work faculty members that I contacted were; this made me more hopeful.  I scanned a lot of the interview posts over the past couple years to see if I could find any information about interviews regarding this program but had no such luck so thought it was worth posting.  It will be interesting to see what others may have to share.  What other schools are you applying for Atlremix?

I am applying to doctoral programs that offer a specialization or focus on aging services and programs. As a result, the programs themselves vary quite a bit-- University of Michigan SW and Sociology,UMBC Gerontology, UC-Berkeley Public Health, Portland State U Community Health, and Oregon State U Human Development and Family Studies. I haven't heard back from any yet, so I am a bit nervous. Please update as soon as you hear back from the University of Michigan if you don't mind :)

Edited by atlremix

That was most definitely helpful information from Lynne... thank-you!  Makes me have a bit more insight into the process and the ability to relax a bit.  Altremix- it sounds like you have a very interesting focus, I would imagine that this has somewhat complicated your application process and nailing down the schools of your choice.  I most definitely will keep you posted with any news from University of Michigan, and please do the same if you hear anything although I have a sneaking suspicion it might not be until March.  Just a bit of a grueling process, hey?!

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been following this threat for some time now. I have never commented before, but want to let people know that I received an unofficial acceptance email this morning to the Phd in Social Work at University of Illinois at Chicago (YAY!!). I literally stalked this forum for weeks and found every update helpful and encouraging so I am hoping this post does that for some of you still waiting to hear back.

FYI- I only applied to UIC and Loyola and this is my first acceptance. Best of luck!

Congratulations sbelt.... That is very great news I'm happy for you and your update also brought more optimism for me, & I am assuming others. Thanks for sharing and all the best with your future endeavours.

Congratulations sbelt.... That is very great news I'm happy for you and your update also brought more optimism for me, & I am assuming others. Thanks for sharing and all the best with your future endeavours.

I applied to the join Social Work and Clinical Psychology program at University of Michigan as well... it appears from previous years that offers are typically made around mid-February with the odd outlier in either direction.