Bad student admitted to Ivy league

Flior

Extremely low scores - TOEFL + GRE + GPA (below requirements). Still chance for acceptance into Ivy league? Can SOP and CV surpass the tests?

Edited by Flior

You haven't given numbers, but most schools have strict minimum requirements for TOEFL scores. If you don't meet that, you are wasting your money to apply. If they list a minimum required GPA or GRE, it is also likely a waste of time to apply if you are below it. If it is merely recommended, I suppose it is possible, but you would probably need truly great recommendations from your professors on top of a good SOP.

You haven't given numbers, but most schools have strict minimum requirements for TOEFL scores. If you don't meet that, you are wasting your money to apply. If they list a minimum required GPA or GRE, it is also likely a waste of time to apply if you are below it. If it is merely recommended, I suppose it is possible, but you would probably need truly great recommendations from your professors on top of a good SOP.

Numbers were provided in I suspect that the OP didn't like the answers given there.

On the low GRE aspect, I'm not letting it stop me from applying. There are no minimum GRE requirements for all of my programs. Some of my schools are prestigious (ie: Tufts) but not Ivy League. If interested, my scores were super low besides the writing part.  

Edited by Guest

We all know that Ivy Leagues filter hardcore with standardized tests, but that doesn't mean that all people with low scores have zero chances. It does happen. It's rare, but it does happen, though I think it hinges on what other the strengths are present in the application. That said, I have a cousin who goes to Harvard, and he got in with a 4.8 high school GPA— hahahaha.

Edited by drownsoda