2015 Ecology/Evolution/Organismal/Marine Biology Applicants

Enhydra

Katsharki3, this might be a longshot and I do not know which island you are on...but... why don't you stop in to see a few professors at UHM or UHH and ask them about their lab opening or if they have any collaborators that have openings. Asking in person and building that relationship is 1000 times better than an email. You are in a great spot for shark research and I am sure that if you do not get accepted this go around then you could work with NOAA or a similar organization in Hawaii and definitely get in next year!

As a side note, I am completely envious of you being in Hawaii! I lived 10 mins away from UH-M for a bit in 2012 and absolutely loved it. I cannot wait to go back!

This is certainly very good advice, but I am actually moving away from Hawaii after graduation in May regardless of what happens with graduate school or any possible jobs. I can barely afford to live here as it is with the support I'm getting from my parents and my scholarships. It may end up now that deciding to move away from Hawaii regardless of what happens was a bad decision, as there is a good amount of research going on here...but I'm not sure how often any research positions here end up being paid, and I definitely cannot afford to live here especially if I end up having to do an unpaid internship-part time job combination...

Hi foggy,

I had the exact same thing happen to me (I visited about three weeks ago and they said I should know either within the first two weeks of march or before) and I have yet to hear anything. So i just pinged him a quick e-mail following up and asking if there is a status update for my application and am now anxiously (!) waiting for a response. Hope this is somewhat helpful!

Good luck everyone!

Thanks Rivers! Fingers crossed for you that there will be a positive response!

Looks like I have nothing to lose at this stage so I guess I'll send a polite email to my POI...

Katsharki, I saw this on Ecolog today and thought of you:

https://listserv.umd.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1503b&L=ecolog-l&P=12382

It doesn't look like housing is provided, but if you're planning on permanently leaving Hawaii, temporary field housing may not be the best bet anyway. It looks like a good position for both gaining experience and for leaving open the possibility of applying for spring admission if you're interested in that route.

Thanks for the advice. My research interests are kind of specific...I would love to work with shark reproductive biology, and if that doesn't work out, definitely at least work with fish reproductive biology and life history. So I'm not sure there are many last minute masters or PhD postings that I would really have appropriate experience for. But I am perusing that board and the AFS job postings board for field tech jobs and such.

I'm just very anxious now though. Trying to enjoy my last few days of spring break now...but it's not really working out. 

I know it is a total bummer and I can understand the feeling as I was rejected by all programs applied to last year.  It looks like VIMS is still in the running and even though they are not your top choice keep in mind that VIMS is a much respected program.  

*forgot why I was responding....

...some schools have Spring admissions; URI and Maryland are two that come to mind.  Not sure if either school is doing anything with elasmobranchs, though. 

Also found this on that TAMU site Shadow Claw posted about:

http://wfscjobs.tamu.edu/jobs/m-s-assistantship-invertebrates-and-riparian-ecology-maryland-frostburg-state-university/

Edited by Crucial BBQ

I know it is a total bummer and I can understand the feeling as I was rejected by all programs applied to last year.  It looks like VIMS is still in the running and even though they are not your top choice keep in mind that VIMS is a much respected program.  

*forgot why I was responding....

...some schools have Spring admissions; URI and Maryland are two that come to mind.  Not sure if either school is doing anything with elasmobranchs, though. 

Also found this on that TAMU site Shadow Claw posted about:

http://wfscjobs.tamu.edu/jobs/m-s-assistantship-invertebrates-and-riparian-ecology-maryland-frostburg-state-university/

Thanks for all the help guys! :)

VIMS and UNF actually are my first choices as it happens. That just almost makes it worse, because I know if I get rejected from both those schools it's going to hurt 100x more than my rejection from UNE. I e-mailed both my PIs at those schools on Wednesday and didn't hear back, so I'm trying to not be too optimistic...but also still kind of praying for good news?

And really, thanks for all the help about jobs. I have been looking at the AFS site and the TAMU site, though I didn't know about the ECOLOG listserv. At this point, while I am not overly optimistic about my chances at getting into either one of those schools, I do feel it is a bit premature for me to start applying for jobs? I don't know, I would just hate to be the person who gets a job and then says "Whoops just kidding I'm going to grad school!" Hopefully I'll hear back from those schools by the end of this month, and I have to hear back by April 15th at the latest. That still gives me a month before graduation to apply for jobs. And since I'm already going home to Colorado at least immediately after graduation, I'm sure my parents would be OK if I stayed just the summer or part of it at their house while still looking for jobs, finding what work I can in Colorado. I mean, my sister stayed with them for the 3 months before she started grad school 2 years ago, so I at least have that argument.

This may be stupid planning. If anyone thinks I should absolutely be applying for jobs right now, please do let me know. I am looking around for what is out there. But also still trying to hold onto the thread of hope that one of those 2 schools at least will accept me.

Good luck with admissions everyone! This waiting really sucks, but I'm thinking good thoughts for all of you!

I've gotten two acceptances and I feel my choice is obvious. One of them I loved, and I have said is a top choice from the beginning of the application process. I am 95% sure I want this program. But for some reason I can't commit and let go of my other option! Uuurrgghhh what is wrong with me? Any advice? 

This may be stupid planning. If anyone thinks I should absolutely be applying for jobs right now, please do let me know. I am looking around for what is out there. But also still trying to hold onto the thread of hope that one of those 2 schools at least will accept me.

Continue hoping for those acceptances! I'm rooting for you! Since you've got somewhere to live after graduation, it's ok if you don't go looking for a job until you find out for sure about graduate school. That said, it will probably take you a while to actually get a job if you end up needing one. Most job postings for temporary field positions are advertised several months in advance and get filled long before the start date. So by mid-April, most summer positions will likely be filled and advertisements for positions starting in late August or September will start popping up. On the bright side, it's not that hard to find some sort of summer employment (McDonalds, amusement parks, etc) to hold you over if you need money.

I've gotten two acceptances and I feel my choice is obvious. One of them I loved, and I have said is a top choice from the beginning of the application process. I am 95% sure I want this program. But for some reason I can't commit and let go of my other option! Uuurrgghhh what is wrong with me? Any advice?

Just do it! Not that helpful, I know, but if you're that certain about it, you need to just take the plunge. Write up an email accepting the offer (or go to the website), stare at it for a little while, and then click send as fast as you can.

I really wish ecology programs had better representation in the results search! There are 2 results for one of my programs at Oregon State, and they are for the masters degree. One got an acceptance on Feb 15 and the other got one on March 24. I know decisions will be made soon if not already, but I really wish I had some idea! The other program at OSU has zero results, so yeah.

The program at FIU has results all over the place, from early March to early June. I really have no clue when to expect anything from them!

Rejected from University of Washington School of Aquatic & Fishery Sciences, but that was kinda expected, seeing how they only accept ~9-10% of applicants each year (according to UW grad admission statistics over 150 ppl apply every year and only 12-15 people get accepted, master's and PhD applicants put together). Also it seems like many professors are tight on funding... 

Still waiting from my other schools! Fingers crossed for everyone!

Edited by FoggyAnhinga

Sorry, EEBPHD2015, but I didn't apply to those schools! Good luck, though!

I'm waiting for rejections from UNC and UTK (didn't get invited for an interview), although there's always a tiny chance that everyone who was accepted will decline, potentionally making space for me :)

I'm waiting for a decision either way from two programs at Oregon State and one at FIU.

Rejected from University of Washington School of Aquatic & Fishery Sciences, but that was kinda expected, seeing how they only accept ~9-10% of applicants each year (according to UW grad admission statistics over 150 ppl apply every year and only 12-15 people get accepted, master's and PhD applicants put together). Also it seems like many professors are tight on funding... 

Still waiting from my other schools! Fingers crossed for everyone!

Same here! Not surprised because as you said it's so competitive. But still it was fun to imagine life in the PNW... ^_^

What schools are you guys waiting for?? I'm still waiting for UCSC, BU and URI. I don't have that much hope since it's so late. Has anyone else heard from them?

I too am waiting for UCSC EEB. Still no word from them, but according to their application status page, supposedly they are expecting a higher volume of users this week, which means many admission decisions might be released this week.

Same here! Not surprised because as you said it's so competitive. But still it was fun to imagine life in the PNW... ^_^

Haha PNW is a fun place to live. I heard from several colleagues who attended/worked at UW SAFS that many grad students at SAFS actually are not very happy with their current program and the professors there, so I guess it was kind of a good destiny for me not to get accepted lol (still it doesn't stop me from being disappointed with the rejection...).

Edited by FoggyAnhinga

Continue hoping for those acceptances! I'm rooting for you! Since you've got somewhere to live after graduation, it's ok if you don't go looking for a job until you find out for sure about graduate school. That said, it will probably take you a while to actually get a job if you end up needing one. Most job postings for temporary field positions are advertised several months in advance and get filled long before the start date. So by mid-April, most summer positions will likely be filled and advertisements for positions starting in late August or September will start popping up. On the bright side, it's not that hard to find some sort of summer employment (McDonalds, amusement parks, etc) to hold you over if you need money.

Just do it! Not that helpful, I know, but if you're that certain about it, you need to just take the plunge. Write up an email accepting the offer (or go to the website), stare at it for a little while, and then click send as fast as you can.

I just did exactly that. Feels Good! Thanks for all the advice and support everyone. Now that the acceptance game is over for me I'm off to be worried about finding place to live and driving across two states! Best of luck to all! 

I did my undergrad at UW in the SAFS department and I didn't notice that many unhappy grad students (at least from the undergrad perspective, might have been different than my impressions though). There were, however, quite a few funding issues that might present some difficulties. Still, not to make you guys feel bad for not getting accepted, but I loved my time there. 

Sorry you guys didn't get in, but I'm sure you'll all get into awesome schools. Just participating in this board mean you guys care about your grad school decisions wayyyy more than a lot of people I know and I'm sure the admissions committee will be able to tell.

FoggyAnhinga-- Sorry to hear you didn't make it into your top choice, but your signature says you've already been acceptance to one program. Just take solace in the fact that it's no long a question of if you're going to graduate school, it's now where. You've already made it past the worst part!

FoggyAnhinga-- Sorry to hear you didn't make it into your top choice, but your signature says you've already been acceptance to one program. Just take solace in the fact that it's no long a question of if you're going to graduate school, it's now where. You've already made it past the worst part!

Thanks sfrie! That admission in my signature is actually a professional master's degree program (that was a backup program I applied to in case if I am rejected from all the PhDs - I've been applying to various jobs as backup as well but no luck with them), but I'm okay with that too since my dream career is to work for a government agency or a company rather than to become a professor (and this 1-2 year program apparently trains their students on attaining these jobs well, seeing how most of their graduates have good stable jobs in gov't agencies as researchers afterwards - though my ultimate dream when it comes to education was obtaining a PhD, but I guess I can reapply again next year or so, if I'm rejected from the remaining four schools). 

The lab I applied to at my top choice school was crazily competitive - there were well over 100 potential applicants for only four PhD/MS student openings (actually, only two PhD student openings - the others were MS) in ONE lab at that university, and I had to pass through four rounds of application reviews (including two interviews - video and lab visit) to become a finalist. I definitely knew that getting through the last hurdle (final verdict on whether I'm accepted or rejected) was going to be the most difficult hurdle of all, haha... (at least it felt nice to be a finalist out of that many applicants).

Congrats on your amazing admissions and best of luck choosing where to attend this fall!

Edited by FoggyAnhinga

Just found out I was rejected by my top choice. Not sure how I feel about it.  This was the same program that waitlisted me last year and my application was definitely stronger this time around; to add, conversations with my POI seemed to indicate strongly that I was in.   Wishful thinking, I suppose.  In terms of academics and "prestige", this program was/is probably the lowest in rankings of all the schools I applied to but it had everything that I wanted from a graduate program.  If all else fails, there is always next year and you know what they say:  third time is a charm.  

Of course I still have yet to hear from the rest, but I dunno.  If I was rejected from the bottom of the barrel I don't feel too good about the rest.  Then again, this news is just par for course.  Not to get down on myself but my entire undergraduate experience was a struggle and with each setback I bounced back, continuing forward.  Being rejected from grad school again is really no surprise, then, too.  I don't know if I tried to accomplish too much, or not enough, but it does seem evident that I am not seeing something that is probably right in front of my face.  For example:  grad programs truly do care about GPA and GRE scores way more than they say they do.  

One thing is for sure, they sure as heck to do not care about passion. 

I have rather high GRE scores and a high GPA, I am still amazed at how hard it is to get accepted these days into an ecology program.  I came from two years at a community college and then a pretty small state school.  I couldn't get a REU, even though I applied to 25.  I had little research, but was fortunate to land a summer job at a prestigious company.  I was accepted to one USA university and one Canadian.  I applied to two big universities and was told from my POI contacts that they had many qualified students with MS degrees and little funding.  I had emails, skype interviews and phone chats.  

People just do not understand the process we go through to get accepted.  I am going to Canada in the fall.  Funding is good and my professor is extremely knowledgeable and connected.  I plan to get published, do as much research as possible, TA, attend conferences, ect, what ever it takes to hopefully land a PHD program in 2.5 years from now.  I may freeze, and have sleep deprivation when I get back to the states, but I will have a resume worth noticing!   Best of luck to you all.  

FoggyAnhinga and Crucial BBQ, sorry to hear of your rejections! 

I'm starting to get cranky about not getting decisions from most of my programs. When I filled out my applications back in the fall and winter, I was so sure that I'd know by this time if I was going for my PhD or reapplying next year. Grrr. I think I'm going to hear something soon either way from one of the two programs I applied to at Oregon State, but with my luck, something will delay it. Waiting for the results of the NSF GRFP is also getting me cranky, although I've known all along that I wouldn't hear anything on that until the first week of April. I just want to know now. Even an honorable mention might be enough to push me to the front of the waitlist at UTK or UNC. However, I've pretty much given up on both of those, even though UTK was my top choice :( 

Come on, OSU and FIU! Send me acceptances!

I could not agree more. I actually called all of my schools today (waiting on FIVE) and they are all still making their decisions. And one actual told me I probs won't hear until mid-April (UMASS B ). I think it's slightly unnerving and I swear I am seeing more gray hair.

Edited by EEBPHD2015

I'm rooting for all of you who are still waiting!  The late notifications are super frustrating.  I was lucky to receive two offers in early February, but one program was pressuring me to accept/decline ASAP and the last 2 schools I was considering weren't even making decisions until March.  I ended up accepting their offer last week, as they were unwilling to wait any longer for my answer and I was about 90% sure I'd go there even if I got fully funded offers from my last 2 schools.  I'm happy to know where I'm going and super excited about the research I'll be doing, but it would have been nice to know all my options before committing. 

I got a snail mail letter today from one of my programs at Oregon State. I thought for sure it was a rejection because it came by post, but nope! It was good news! The department recommended me for admission to the university. Technically not an official acceptance, but I don't see why the graduate school wouldn't let me in. Funding is potentially the only barrier, as I need a TA position and they're limited. Of course, scoring the NSF GRFP would solve that.

I am so excited! OSU is my second choice in terms of program, but Corvallis is my number one choice for a place to live.