Fall 2015 Acceptances (and Rejections) Thread

Anonymona

Hi all -

Hope I'm not jumping the gun here, but in years past, there's always been a thread discussing acceptances, interviews, and (for those brave and kind souls willing to share), rejections. I know I stalked these a whole bunch this summer, and was especially appreciative of people who posted their stats and past experience - maybe we can do this too.

Anyway, it looks like someone posted the first sociology acceptance of the season today, to the University of Cambridge. Does anyone want to claim it and share details?

Best of luck to everyone in the coming months!

Glad I'm not the only one freaking out. I think I just sent 30 texts and all were jibberish.

It looks like UCLA accepted someone on the 8th last year, and then a bunch of people about two weeks later. I wonder if this has to do with funding?

Glad I'm not the only one freaking out. I think I just sent 30 texts and all were jibberish.

It looks like UCLA accepted someone on the 8th last year, and then a bunch of people about two weeks later. I wonder if this has to do with funding?

this freaked me out lol

Congratulations on your acceptance! I just received an email from Cambridge asking me for the interview-I applied for the PhD in Education. I am anxious about what gonna be discussed during this interview. Any experience to share?

Hi all -

Hope I'm not jumping the gun here, but in years past, there's always been a thread discussing acceptances, interviews, and (for those brave and kind souls willing to share), rejections. I know I stalked these a whole bunch this summer, and was especially appreciative of people who posted their stats and past experience - maybe we can do this too.

Anyway, it looks like someone posted the first sociology acceptance of the season today, to the University of Cambridge. Does anyone want to claim it and share details?

Congratulations on your acceptance! I just received an email from Cambridge asking me for the interview-I applied for the PhD in Education. I am anxious about what gonna be discussed during this interview. Any experience to share?

We know who was accepted?

Hi all -

Hi! That was me..I found out that day that I received a conditional admission for Cambridge's Sociology department. As for details, I'm not sure how much information you're looking for, but I applied in October. I also interviewed, but it was an informal interview with my prospective supervisor last summer before I applied. I should also mention that I went to Cambridge for my master's in Latin American studies. Funding is a separate process, so the waiting's not over yet!

Thanks! And congrats on your interview! Interviews can really depend on the professor and the department. I interviewed for the sociology PhD and the geography PhD--very different experiences. For my sociology interview, it was in person and we just talked about overselves and our research interests over tea. My geography interview was a formal Skype interview and the professor grilled me on my research proposal and didn't ask me anything about myself. It was actually pretty clear once I had the geography interview that it wasn't a great fit, so I wasn't surprised when I received a rejection from geography. So, interviews differ, but you'll definitely be asked about your research, so be prepared to discuss your proposal in depth. I'd also try to use the interview as a way to assess fit, because it's as much about your needs and what you want out of a PhD program as it is about their need to admit quality students. Also, since the PhD there is basically a three-year independent study, it's important to make sure that your propspective supervisor is someone who you not only would want to work with, but who will also support you and who will be invested in your success. Good luck!

Thank you for your useful information. I would also think they gonna ask in-depth questions about my research proposal and probably why I decided to come to Cambridge/ why I need to pursue a PhD degree. Thanks again for your info! 

Thank you for your useful information. I would also think they gonna ask in-depth questions about my research proposal and probably why I decided to come to Cambridge/ why I need to pursue a PhD degree. Thanks again for your info! 

No problem! And yeah, it's safe to assume they'll ask those questions. Really, I'd just be prepared for anything. If you're worried about nerves, just try to be confident in your abilities and you'll be fine! Cambridge is a great place to study. Hope you make it!

Watching this like a hawk!  Someone was correcty when they mentioned that these forums seem so quiet this year...

In all fairness though, I guess we aren't quite to the big acceptance week yet.

They appear to be working on things since about the first of the year. Ive had a number of contacts from places I've applied since then. Had a nice chat on the phone with Dr. Mencken from Baylor. 

Got rejected from Notre Dame today.