Fall 2015 Acceptances (and Rejections) Thread

Anonymona

Congrats to everyone hearing good things! I received a call from SUNY Stony Brook today. They're sending out official acceptances shortly but I know I got in. Also got a rejection email from Princeton. To the person who got into Minnesota, any idea whether they've sent out all their responses? Last year they did a few waves of acceptances. And to the people asking about UWashington, I got an email saying acceptances wouldn't go out any earlier than Feb15, so I dunno why people are getting in.

Congrats to everyone hearing good things! I received a call from SUNY Stony Brook today. They're sending out official acceptances shortly but I know I got in. Also got a rejection email from Princeton. To the person who got into Minnesota, any idea whether they've sent out all their responses? Last year they did a few waves of acceptances. And to the people asking about UWashington, I got an email saying acceptances wouldn't go out any earlier than Feb15, so I dunno why people are getting in.

I'm an undergrad at Stony Brook but I took a few grad classes and know the program fairly well. PM me if you have questions.

Has anyone heard from USC dornsife? I got an email saying they didn't get my transcripts, but my application was complete.

What did Princeton's rejection mail say? Just curious....

"Dear [applicant]

Thank you for applying to Princeton University's Graduate School for the 2015-16 academic year. While I assure you that the materials you submitted were carefully reviewed by the faculty in the Department of Sociology, I regret to inform you that the department did not recommend your admission for the coming academic year.

The number of admission offers available at Princeton for entering graduate students is extremely limited and we cannot offer admission to all applicants who are well-qualified. Indeed, many departments consistently have applicants who would be admitted without hesitation if additional resources were available. Our decisions take into account not only the applicants' merits, but also the suitability of the programs to the candidates' expressed interests. Our goal is to achieve a sound match between the strengths of our programs and the interests of the relatively small number of outstanding students that can be accommodated. 

I wish you success in your plans for graduate study and thank you for considering Princeton University.

Sincerely,

Sanjeev R. Kulkarni

Dean of the Graduate School."

Very congenial compared to many I received last year.

It's not so much that age is explicitly a factor in the program, but the bias against--say, a 47 year old--trying to find a job upon completion of the program.  So it's not some stigma that old dogs can't learn new tricks, but rather the likelihood of diminishing statistics in that you may not be able to find employment at the end of the road.  Perhaps some departments would find it unethical to take your money or you time toward such a potentially possible end.  Though such a perception exists, I don't think its enough to galvanize an individual toward a perpetual rejection pile, rather that much more of a hurdle to establish relative value and fit. At the same token, I think there's enough bias against the young to balance everything out.  That's as I understand it, anyway.

Has anyone over 30 been accepted into a program? Over 25? Are there any age-related statistics out there?

I'm curious about the role age (may or may not) play in admissions after a conversation with a POI yesterday.

Yes!  Absolutely!  Sure there could be some issues.  I can say for sure that within the last 2 years I know 2 people that were accepted, full funding into PhD programs in their early and mid 30's.  This is specifically in Socilogy too, they were outstanding students, great GRE scores, amazing research, previously published work and a solid GPA.  I would say the 30's are totally normal.  Can't speak beyond that though.

Has anyone over 30 been accepted into a program? Over 25? Are there any age-related statistics out there?

I'm curious about the role age (may or may not) play in admissions after a conversation with a POI yesterday.

You of course have to consider how many people over 30 are actually applying relative to people in their 20s. If you don't mind me asking, what did the POI say that got you thinking about this?

I did not apply this season...but I am currently 37 so I am curious about people's views on acceptance into PhD programs and future job prospects for us of a more advanced age.  Also, I am wondering if any of you all applied to Rice and what your experiences were like and how much you all know about their program.

I am mid thirties and I have been accepted at The Ohio State University (I only applied to 3 programs).  I talked to quite a few people who did thirty-something PhDs before applying and there was a view that it could be an advantage.  For example, age could be a benefit in the job search if the school is looking for someone who can lead early on.

You of course have to consider how many people over 30 are actually applying relative to people in their 20s. If you don't mind me asking, what did the POI say that got you thinking about this?

The POI lamented that it is difficult for programs to admit older students. 

I should have probably asked for more detail! The arguments can cut either way. And I certainly didn't (still don't) think I'm a demographic anomaly. And I still feel like I'm 19. So it made me curious how many others applying are in their early 30s. I guess there are a few of us judging from the responses.

Coindistina, you just described me almost exactly. lol  That's exactly my concern on getting in and finding something if and when  I were to finish. Yes it's possible for a 40-something to get in, b/c I've done it, so 30-something ffor sure. Getting funding, however, let alone what comes later is another matter, which is why I'm here again like last year in waiting limbo w/the rest of you over the next 2-3 months. I can only imagine how nice it is to get in w/funding.

It's not so much that age is explicitly a factor in the program, but the bias against--say, a 47 year old--trying to find a job upon completion of the program.  So it's not some stigma that old dogs can't learn new tricks, but rather the likelihood of diminishing statistics in that you may not be able to find employment at the end of the road.  Perhaps some departments would find it unethical to take your money or you time toward such a potentially possible end.  Though such a perception exists, I don't think its enough to galvanize an individual toward a perpetual rejection pile, rather that much more of a hurdle to establish relative value and fit. At the same token, I think there's enough bias against the young to balance everything out.  That's as I understand it, anyway.

The POI lamented that it is difficult for programs to admit older students. 

I should have probably asked for more detail! The arguments can cut either way. And I certainly didn't (still don't) think I'm a demographic anomaly. And I still feel like I'm 19. So it made me curious how many others applying are in their early 30s. I guess there are a few of us judging from the responses.

Would you be willing to share with us which school this POI was at?  My husband is in his mid-30's and applied to some of the schools you did.  I always was under the impression that applying a little older had a few advantages in some ways.  Guess everyone has a different preference.

Have Duke and Berkeley started to notify? Btw, I applied Berkeley Demography&sociology, do they have different timeline?

I heard back from Duke today -- waitlisted. Looks like Berkeley has also started notifying folks, but in the past years, it seems like they notify folks over a pretty long window. Can anyone confirm this?

I heard back from Duke today -- waitlisted. Looks like Berkeley has also started notifying folks, but in the past years, it seems like they notify folks over a pretty long window. Can anyone confirm this?

Thx for the info! And that's a good news I think! Any one got accepted by Duke? Any one heard from Berkeley Demography?

1st reject this evening from ucsb, not thrilled. The Berkeley one will be more devastating b/c dying to go there.

Boo, I got rejected as well. I'm starting to freak out a bit here. Considering I'm a much worse fit for Michigan, I'm going to assume I'll be rejected there as well. That only leaves two schools left. :(