Fall 2015 Acceptances (and Rejections) Thread

Anonymona

I'm sorry for you both. Juice, I know they're ranked 1st in gender sociology, so I'm sure you'dve been a good fit too. This is ironic coming from me, but let's try to keep our chins up for now. This is a long, tough process but I think most people get in somewhere, esp if you've applied to alot of schools. Keep checking your email, etc, but I guess don't let it completely takeĀ  over your life if only to keep your sanity and b/c better things still probably lie ahead.

I am begining to feel the same. Luckily i have only one rejection lettet (notre dame) but havent heard from unc- chapil hill, duke, uici and only a email adking yo resend a transcript from Purdue. Maybe this year isnt my year.

Coindistina, you just described me almost exactly. lolĀ  That's exactly my concern on getting in and finding something if and whenĀ  I were to finish. Yes it's possible for a 40-something to get in, b/c I've done it, so 30-something ffor sure. Getting funding, however, let alone what comes later is another matter, which is why I'm here again like last year in waiting limbo w/the rest of you over the next 2-3 months. I can only imagine how nice it is to get in w/funding.

I suppose you could say it came from a pretty good source.Ā 

I'm 39 and applying for PhD programs. Ā I'm graduating with a Bachelor's this May so don't have an angle on the thinking that sometimes the Bachelor's is "too old" as opposed to the student, which I have heard somewhere on this forum I believe. Ā I will say, however, that my one of my mentors actually suggested I work in the field for a few years. Ā Her take was that grad programs like applicants with a little real life experience. Ā I wouldn't think that early 30s would be a hurdle at all given that input. Ā I only applied to 2 schools, and haven't heard anything back at this point, but will post when I do.

I'm 39 and applying for PhD programs. Ā I'm graduating with a Bachelor's this May so don't have an angle on the thinking that sometimes the Bachelor's is "too old" as opposed to the student, which I have heard somewhere on this forum I believe. Ā I will say, however, that my one of my mentors actually suggested I work in the field for a few years. Ā Her take was that grad programs like applicants with a little real life experience. Ā I wouldn't think that early 30s would be a hurdle at all given that input. Ā I only applied to 2 schools, and haven't heard anything back at this point, but will post when I do.

I personally believe that you are never too old to do anything! Actually, I think having more life experience is an advantage when applying to grad school. Like many of my profs and grad friends warned me that one of my big disadvantages was that I'm too young (I'm 20 and applying to grad school) and had no real-life experience. I think it's kinda true. Two people who got into Princeton this year both had MA and working experience, which made them much more competitive. Also, I know Berkeley doesn't want people w/o working experience... so don't worry!

I personally believe that you are never too old to do anything! Actually, I think having more life experience is an advantage when applying to grad school. Like many of my profs and grad friends warned me that one of my big disadvantages was that I'm too young (I'm 20 and applying to grad school) and had no real-life experience. I think it's kinda true. Two people who got into Princeton this year both had MA and working experience, which made them much more competitive. Also, I know Berkeley doesn't want people w/o working experience... so don't worry!

Ā 

Berkeley doesn't want people w/o working experience... Oh that's really devastating...Ā 

Just out of curious... Is there a top 10 program that actually admits young undergrads applying in their senior year?

Edited by asheleeyang

Just out of curious... Is there a top 10 program that actually admits young undergrads applying in their senior year?

Ā 

There are some. Reading the profiles of students who got in helps to understand what top 10 programs are looking for. For example, look atĀ 

http://sociology.princeton.edu/graduate-program/graduate-students

http://sociology.fas.harvard.edu/people/grad-students

http://sociology.berkeley.edu/graduate_students

For Harvard or Berkeley it is more tricky as you have to click on the names of people to read their profile (if there is one), but it shows the academic and professional backgrounds of applicants.

The last line of what you say is decisive. That's exactly what I'd expect and why I never thought had a shot there, was glad one of the faculty I contacted sent a very encouraging email last month but it's just that, an email.

I know some people were asking about UCLA. I was one of the people admitted on January 8th. Feel free to message me if you have questions and/or want to connect (I'm new to the forum and just figuring out how this all works). I am also curious about the Berkeley admits, as it was among my top three schools and I am a little disappointed that I haven't heard anything.

Edited by SarahDF

There are some. Reading the profiles of students who got in helps to understand what top 10 programs are looking for. For example, look atĀ 

http://sociology.princeton.edu/graduate-program/graduate-students

http://sociology.fas.harvard.edu/people/grad-students

http://sociology.berkeley.edu/graduate_students

For Harvard or Berkeley it is more tricky as you have to click on the names of people to read their profile (if there is one), but it shows the academic and professional backgrounds of applicants.

I noticed Princeton almost never admitted young undergraduate who went straight to grad school! I have to say it makes me feel better...

Berkeley doesn't want people w/o working experience... Oh that's really devastating...Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Surprisingly, I got into Berkeley today and I'm currently an undergrad (senior year) so I dont think they exclusively take people with work experience

I know some people were asking about UCLA. I was one of the people admitted on January 8th. Feel free to message me if you have questions and/or want to connect (I'm new to the forum and just figuring out how this all works). I am also curious about the Berkeley admits, as it was among my top three schools and I am a little disappointed that I haven't heard anything.

pmed you!

Surprisingly, I got into Berkeley today and I'm currently an undergrad (senior year) so I dont think they exclusively take people with work experience

Ā 

OMG! Super cong!Ā 

Do you mind sharing your stats?Ā 

Ā 

I am 36, and agree that it shouldnt be a disadvantage.One of my mentors and a POI at one of the schools I applied to suggested my age/experience is a positive. I had basically 15 years off of school before returning to school and completing my bachelors this year. To them it shows dedication. Youve been out in the world and know what you really want to do. Things like that. Opinions will vary by school, but I would think its a net positive.

Lioneironaut, I got mine on Feb 1 last year so I'd expect this weekend if that's indicative at all.

Anyone have any extra insight on UW madison's decision date? Last year looks like it was 31st/1st, which could mean this weekend/monday, but it also seems that previous years were later in the month... Ā  :wacko:Ā  :wacko:

Looks like Berkeley sent out their acceptances & rejections -- am I the only one who hasn't heard from Berkeley Soc at all? Did I forget to apply?Ā  :o

So it looks like Duke is sending out rejections first -- this is pretty unusual, right??

Ā 

They might be a little nervous about this incoming cohort. From my convo with Duke this week, it sounds like their cohort last year was way too big, so their goal this year is a total of 6. Did you hear the same thing when you talked to them?