Becoming a Social Worker with Criminal Background

angiemp

I'm 25, starting school to become a social worker, graduating in Fall 2018 or Spring 2019. I was recently arrested for protesting, received a "Obstruction of Roadway/Passageway." Would that greatly effect my chances of getting licensed? 

If I'm not mistaken, often time field placements require a background check, so maybe an incident like this is worth noting in your application as to not raise eyebrows later down after you have been accepted and are trying to be placed somewhere for an internship.

• 3 months later...

You provide very little information other than to say you were arrested while protesting. That said, I bet a lot of people in social work have been arrested while protesting. So you'll be in good company.

Also, this happened to you at a young age.

If you're really worried, speak with an attorney. Find out how long a charge like this stays on your record and whether there's any process available for you to have it expunged.

And is what you did actually considered "criminal"? If so, that's ridiculous but besides the point.

Basically, don't worry about it, you'll be fine, and there are plenty of people who have come before you with more serious charges on their record, and they were still able to successfully obtain licensure in similar fields.

If you absolutely must disclose it on an application, be sure to explain it. Don't assume the reader will understand these kinds of things are part and parcel of the current police state we now live in. And depending on how you want to spin it, you can always pass it off as a youthful mistake from which you learned X, Y, and Z.

Good luck to you.

The NASW Code of Ethics (which you will hear about a great deal in your MSW classes) specifically states that "Social workers should engage in social and political action that seeks to ensure that all people have equal access to the resources, employment, services, and opportunities they require to meet their basic human needs and to develop fully. Social workers should be aware of the impact of the political arena on practice and should advocate for changes in policy and legislation to improve social conditions in order to meet basic human needs and promote social justice."

If your arrest falls under that category, you shouldn't have too hard a time explaining (and even highlighting) the situation to an admissions committee or licensing board. It might be a little harder when you apply for jobs, but typically as long as the arrest does not involve violence or endangering children and/or the elderly, you should be fine.

Edited by MJL34

• 3 weeks later...

You can also check the social work licensing board, in the state where you plan to be licensed. They will probably have a list of offenses that would prevent you from being licensed. I believe most will relate to theft, harming minors, assault of any kind, DUI, etc.

Otherwise, I don't think they will care. 

Looking into expungement is fine, but I have a friend who is an attorney for the CA Secretary of State, and she tells me that when people apply for professional licenses, and to become notaries, convictions still show up (even after they have been expunged).