That fake out moment!

Read_books

"Subject: application status update

Dear xxx,

Your departmental graduate application status has been updated. Your application status in the department is now:

Under Review. Reviewers have been assigned to review your application and will soon be making recommendations."

Thanks for the heart attack to tell me what I already knew!

Not much of a fake out..

But, I've been having this North Carolina business school spam my phone with calls three times in a row for the past two days. I'm not applying for a business degree nor anywhere in North Carolina. Why would a business school personally call my cellphone?

Not much of a fake out..

But, I've been having this North Carolina business school spam my phone with calls three times in a row for the past two days. I'm not applying for a business degree nor anywhere in North Carolina. Why would a business school personally call my cellphone?

This has been happening to me with some sort of data science program at Berkeley. Nothing I've applied to is affiliated with Berkeley or data science, none of my GRE or LSAT information indicated interest in either. Super weird.

Today I got this email: 

This email serves as confirmation that you are being considered for 2015-2016 merit scholarships and/or endowment funds from the Graduate School of x.
If you are not chosen for a first round award, you will be notified – though, the process continues throughout the spring.  We hope to have all awards distributed by July 1, 2015 at which time a final notification will be sent to this email address. 

The faculty and I are delighted you have applied for admission.   If you have any questions about the process, please do not hesitate to contact me.

....So literally nothing about my admission either way, just reminding me that I told them I would like to be considered for a merit scholarship. I'm dyin' over here.

I am applying to UChicago. I just got a phone call from a number with a Chicago area code. It was a telemarketer.

Same thing happened to me, except with a Manhattan area code/thinking it was from one of the NYC schools to which I applied. Apparently I won a free cruise.

Same thing happened to me, except with a Manhattan area code/thinking it was from one of the NYC schools to which I applied. Apparently I won a free cruise.

Screw grad school, enjoy your scam cruise!

I submitted an application over the weekend for a program with rolling admissions, this morning I received an email from the admissions department with the word "invite" in the subject. It was an invitation to apply. 

Ugh.

For the past two days near the end of a typical workday, I've gotten calls from unknown numbers. Both times my heart starts racing. Both times it was telemarketers. urghhghhxhzhch

Just happened to me. An unknown number left a voicemail. Heart pounding out of my chest, I hit the 'play' button. 

"hello, I'm calling to confirm your haircut appointment this Sunday..."

ARGH.

Oh gosh, I just had my first real fake out moment. 

Email from one of my programs with the subject: "Thank you for applying for admission to Fake Out Department"  :wacko:

Thought it was a generic rejection email, but nope, it was a link to an applicant survey to "improve the admission process." The irony! 

Email from one of my programs with the subject: "Thank you for applying for admission to Fake Out Department"  :wacko:

Thought it was a generic rejection email, but nope, it was a link to an applicant survey to "improve the admission process." The irony! 

Oh man... I'd be so annoyed by that fake out moment. Reminds me of that time when I was applying for undergrad programs as a high school senior, and one of the university's honor programs sent me an email which I thought meant I was accepted (since it has been two months after I submitted my application), but nope, it was just a "thank you for applying" letter.

Email from one of my programs with the subject: "Thank you for applying for admission to Fake Out Department" :wacko:

Oh man, almost the same thing just happened to me! I got an email from one of my programs that doesn't do interviews, so first I was like, "Oh my gosh, they made their decision already? It's only been 2 weeks since the deadline!"

Then I started reading, and it said, "We appreciate your interest in our program..." My heart just sank, because I was sure it was a rejection. Then I read a little farther... "We have received all of your application materials and have sent an email to the major professors listed in your application to invite them to review your file." That was the worst fake our EVER.

I got an envelope in the mail with no name but a return address from Washington DC which is where one of my programs is located. Nope, just the APA inviting me to renew my membership (which I don't have interest in doing)

That moment when you log in to a school's portal to see the status of the application and suddenly everything there looks different. Your heart skips a bit, or three, thinking a decisions has been made and thus your view or the portal changed. Then you realize it's just an error message because you screwed up the password.

NYU email - "Enroll today @ NYU!". :blink:

I should have immediately catalogued this as spam, but my poor heart stopped for a second when I saw this in my inbox. I just love receiving emails about completely unrelated programs after chugging a gallon of espresso. My heart rate was........lively, to say the least. 

Oh man, almost the same thing just happened to me! I got an email from one of my programs that doesn't do interviews, so first I was like, "Oh my gosh, they made their decision already? It's only been 2 weeks since the deadline!"

Then I started reading, and it said, "We appreciate your interest in our program..." My heart just sank, because I was sure it was a rejection. Then I read a little farther... "We have received all of your application materials and have sent an email to the major professors listed in your application to invite them to review your file." That was the worst fake our EVER.

Literally less than two weeks from submitting my app to Oregon, I received a letter from them in the mail saying the same thing. I thought correctly that, "Surely, they haven't made decisions yet!", but my stomach still turned all the same when I saw it. 

I decided to use my professional (previously inactive email) instead of my school email to apply to grad school. That way, whenever I got an email, I could assume it's from a grad school...

...except for that fake out moment when you see a (1) on your email tab, excitedly click over, and see it's an email from Neopets. Oops. Guess I used that email for my guilty pleasures as well :rolleyes:

I applied to USC Annenberg, and it's the only school I applied to. I got an email yesterday from USC ANNENBERG ADMISSIONS and freaked out. It was just propaganda for one of their adult ed online master's programs  :angry:

I'm only in the running for two schools at this point, one of which is my first choice- University of Washington, in Seattle.

Today at work I got a phone call, but when I tried to get my phone out to answer it, a broken edge of the case got tangled with a loose thread in my pocket, and I couldn't get it out in time- I pulled it out just in time to see that it was a call from Seattle.

I had to wait an hour for my break so I could call them back. It was a telemarketer.

One university sent me emails with the word 'Congratulations' in the subject line . . . so that they could inform me that a recommendation letter had arrived.  Seriously, school?!  You couldn't think of a better word to use with an on-edge person waiting anxiously to hear about acceptance or rejection?

NYU sent me a Christmas email, which I thought was also a bit of a cruel mind game.  And Purdue keeps sending emails inviting me to check out different new developments on their campus, all with that adrenaline-producing word 'invite' in the subject line.

Sometimes I wonder if they torture us for their own amusement.

I also had a TERRIBLE experience a few days ago when a coworker told me that an official-looking large envelope had arrived for me from somewhere in America (I live overseas, so I have my mail sent to the school where I teach).  I choked down the last bites of lunch, ran out of the lunchroom and charged up the two flights of stairs to the lobby, nearly trampling a cluster of slightly wide-eyed elementary students . . . only to find an envelope containing the latest Leadership magazine from NHS (I am the faculty advisor for my school's chapter).  

XYZ Divinity School almost gave me a heart attack this morning. They sent an email and had me thinking it's an admissions decisions, when it's just an invitation for applicants who are interested in pastoring while in seminary to come to this informational session. I was so annoyed. How are you going to invite me I am event before I know if im even accepted. What if I go to the event and that just so happens to be the day I'm denied? Huh? Answer that question XYZ Divinity.