That fake out moment!

Read_books

As a fellow UGA applicant... I see this post and go... "wait a minute... why didn't I get an inane email too?!"  

:unsure:

Well, now I'm actually confused. For shits and giggles, I clicked the link and see this:

Newly admitted students: Please allow up to 72 hours after notice of admission for the "housing registration" option to appear in the gray bar above.

The link does appear for me. And I'm classified as a 'Graduate/Professional Student'. However my application status still says 'decision pending' in the portal. And my email inquiries have gone unanswered. 

I got a fake-out PHONE CALL -- ugh.

I had applied to USC and I got a call one day from California, so I stepped out of class to answer. "Hi, this is ___ calling from the University of Southern California, I see that you applied to our graduate program in clinical psychology! Well, I thought you might be interested in learning more about our masters programs..." 

My soul was crushed. And then I got the rejection email a few days later. T.T

I got an email about a fellowship application. For a moment, I was like "Whoa, they made their decisions on the NSF fellowship this early?!?!?" Then I realized it was for a fellowship for one of the schools that I was rejected from. Ugh.

As a fellow UGA applicant... I see this post and go... "wait a minute... why didn't I get an inane email too?!"

:unsure:

Heck, I've already been accepted to a program there and have never been contacted by housing.

Fake out email from NC State which turned out to be the bad news of "due to our funding next year we will not be taking any incoming phd students for fall 2015"

Thanks for taking my money for nothing.

Heck, I've already been accepted to a program there and have never been contacted by housing.

Fake out email from NC State which turned out to be the bad news of "due to our funding next year we will not be taking any incoming phd students for fall 2015"

Sorry to hear that! That is unfortunate, but it was probably a decision that they were fighting and just now received the bad news. They are probably just as disappointed. But that doesn't change the fact that it's upsetting. Good luck with your other schools!

Edited by scarvesandcardigans

Sorry to hear that! That is unfortunate, but it was probably a decision that they were fighting and just now received the bad news. They are probably just as disappointed. But that doesn't change the fact that it's upsetting. Good luck with your other schools!

It's okay. They were one of my back up schools (UGA the other) but unfortunately were higher on my list due to research fit. But I think my interview went super well at UNC (top choice) and Ga Tech is notorious for sending stuff super late. I have three friends who didn't get acceptances there until mid to late March. And either way, I got into one school so I'm going somewhere.

I just feel really badly for the department. They said we could transfer our app to another but it's so late and the faculty I'm interested in don't hold joint appointments in chemistry. I go to another state university and our school was hit badly too thanks to NC goverment's wonderful love of education. I hate it hit NC State so hard.

Man, that's awful.

Got an email from an admin address titled "Admissions letter." FLIPPED OUT. 

Turns out it was just an updated copy of a form from the school I already have an offer from. Love that department, but my heart cannot take a subject line like that right now. 

It's okay. They were one of my back up schools (UGA the other) but unfortunately were higher on my list due to research fit. But I think my interview went super well at UNC (top choice) and Ga Tech is notorious for sending stuff super late. I have three friends who didn't get acceptances there until mid to late March. And either way, I got into one school so I'm going somewhere.

I just feel really badly for the department. They said we could transfer our app to another but it's so late and the faculty I'm interested in don't hold joint appointments in chemistry. I go to another state university and our school was hit badly too thanks to NC goverment's wonderful love of education. I hate it hit NC State so hard.

I completely understand about the government's love of education. Did my undergrad at ASU and now I'm looking at NC State for an MA, living in the capital, etc. It's really a terrible situation to be in and State was just impacted at a really awful time (but I mean, when is a good time??). I'm glad your UNC interview went well and that you have an offer to go somewhere, that's good! But as always, a bummer to hear about other programs not being able to keep their heads above water thanks to NC educational systems.

The preview on my phone said "Dear Musicalmathematician, a final decision on your application..." :D

I open the email and find out that the rest is "...will be available soon."

:mellow:

why would they email to tell you that?!

The preview on my phone said "Dear Musicalmathematician, a final decision on your application..." :D

I open the email and find out that the rest is "...will be available soon." :mellow:

Now that's just EVIL!  I refuse to believe that the sender did not maniacally giggle while pushing 'send'.

I've applied to two programs there and have been accepted by one myself... maybe that's why I didn't get it.  

I got it.

On the other hand, maybe it's program specific... Cheshire, what field/program did you apply to?  

Here's an amazing fake out moment:

Subject line: Admissions Office - Additional Documents requested

My initial reaction was "holy mackerel, they are considering me for admission so they are requesting me to send official sealed transcript copies!!" of some sort. Turns out, it was just an email notifying me that they (one of the schools I applied to) received my recent FAFSA application (I applied for it in case funding doesn't work out for some schools I applied to), and that I may need to provide additional documents later in April. Blargh... 

I just logged into Alabama's application portal to see if my status had changed - only to immediately receive an email notification in the corner of my screen with the name of my faculty POI and the subject heading, "Grad Visit Day".

To this, I had a mini-heart attack even though I was confused because their interview week had passed....

....with good reason because it was just an identically-named TA from my class responding to an email I sent them about traveling to another interview.

The heart attack-inducing subject heading was my own. 

Edited by TXInstrument11

I'm kind of jealous of people who've applied for programs that have online portals that offer multiple caegories for your application's progression... even if it does make you more neurotic about the whole process and leads to fakeouts and worrying. My first choice's portal only changes once the offer is made, and my POI is quiet too, so I don't know if I've gotten through the department and am on to admin or what! I did get a google hit from the city this school is in earlier this week, so SOMEONE out there is looking into me... hoping it was actually someone from the school and not a job I applied to in that area and forgot about or a total internet rando conincidence

the worst fakeouts I experienced while going for masters programs were probably the ones that would send you information on grants and scholarships "for accepted students" and then write in the tiniest text at the bottom something along the lines of "this email is not actually an offer of admission" Geez... apparently students complain about it every year but they don't change the format of the email.

Not as rude, but almost - I got an email from someone named Ken Martin with the subject: "Check your status."

It was a fundraising email.  Hey, Ken, I liked you better when I thought you were from an admissions committee somewhere.

Edited by ckoz84