Ontario Graduate Scholarship 2015

nuih

Anyone else applying?

I feel more nervous about OGS than CGS-M rn because of the academic assessment reports. I bet CGS-M has a similar assessment for the referee to fill, but I don't know how that looks like so... I'll be happy if a few of those academic performances are marked as top 50% or top 20% LOL, though that's probably definitely not good enough at all. I'm still gonna apply though, because why not.

But yeah, has anyone submitted this yet? I just started to digest the application requirements haha... 

Oh wow that is interesting, and lucky because less work. Mind sharing what school? I'm just curious!

Edited by nuih

I checked, only one school did that. I guess I will apply for an OGS at the others if necessary. The deadline is quite late (there, at least), so I don't need to worry about it now. I'll PM you about which school didn't need a separate application.

• 1 month later...

Can I ask is this open to foreign students or just Canadian ones? And can you apply directly or do you need to be nominated by your department? I  don't think Trillium is going to work, maybe  I got on it too late... well I'll post that on the other thread I started. Anyway good luck.

• 1 month later...

I heard I was receiving an OGS in mid-February from my department, but didn't get the official email until this morning.  I declined as I already received an NSERC.

Can I ask is this open to foreign students or just Canadian ones? And can you apply directly or do you need to be nominated by your department? I  don't think Trillium is going to work, maybe  I got on it too late... well I'll post that on the other thread I started. Anyway good luck.

There are a very small number of OGS awards available to international students. You can apply (through your school, usually), but to my knowledge the chances are small for international students.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been awarded the OGS as an International student, however, it has only been awarded for the first year of a two-year M.A. Obviously you need to re-apply for the second year. I was wondering, though, what is the likelihood of not receiving it in the second year of study (provided good standing has been maintained, etc.)?  

I've just been awarded the OGS as an International student, however, it has only been awarded for the first year of a two-year M.A. Obviously you need to re-apply for the second year. I was wondering, though, what is the likelihood of not receiving it in the second year of study (provided good standing has been maintained, etc.)?  

An OGS is a 1-year award normally. You should not expect a renewal, but funding from a different source (e.g. TA).

An OGS is a 1-year award normally. You should not expect a renewal, but funding from a different source (e.g. TA).

Really? I was thinking the renewal was basically a given. Has anyone out there re-applied and been successful in their second year?

Edited by HegelianLuhmannian

I received OGS without even applying for it directly. Anyone with a similar experience? I am starting my PhD this September and upon acceptance to the program, the department also told me that they have put my name forward for both OGS and for SSHRC. I don't really understand how I can get OGS that way, but I did. Weird. 

One of the programs I applied to would use your CGS-M application (and perhaps CGS-D in case of PhD applicants?) for OGS consideration. Thus, you didn't need to separately apply for OGS. However, I did check a box saying I would like them to do this.

Yes, there is a box that you have to check off when you're filling out your online application to be considered for OGS. If you apply for CGS and don't get it or even if you don't apply at all, they will give the OGS to you if you are ranked high on their list of acceptances.

Edited by panicobracademy