I still can't find work

jim1986

It took me 6 months to find work with a 3.98 undergraduate GPA and a masters in accounting, so I feel ya.  And I had to move too.  It sucks, but that is how it is.  But you shouldn't blame everyone else for your problems.  No one forced you to major in sociology.  You could have majored in Marketing if you had wanted to.  The internet existed 5 or 6 years ago when you chose your major.  You should have done your own research to determine if there were jobs for people with your degree.  You should have spoken with people who were in your industry to see what it was like and what things you could do to prepare the best for it. Society doesn't owe you a job just because you went to school. 

Now you have to figure out what *you* are going to do with *your* life.  Whining about your plight and what society has done isn't going to change anything in your life.  People don't care about you.  It's sad, but true.  They care about their bottom line.  So you have to find a way to make yourself useful to their bottom line.  You need to find a way to market yourself to them instead of expecting them to hire you because you think you deserve a job.

juju,

A few things to say here,

I'm still not sure what overqualified means. If someone has experience, wouldn't employers be happy to hire them? BTW I've been told by several employers that I lack the experience needed. And by that logic, wouldn't retailers reject me then? 

To add to what has already been written, being overqualified has two meanings.

1.  It means that your years of experience and/or credentials allow you to take on more responsibility at work, and as such, more pay to go along with those responsibilities.  So being overqualified means that you have the potential to earn more than what the potential (or current) employer is willing to pay you (sometimes because that rate of pay is simply not in their budget).  

The general assumption is that you know what you are worth and that by taking the lower-paying position (assuming it is really lower, not just be a few dollars) you are temporarily settling for "some money is better than no money" and will keep one foot out the door ready to leave for that better opportunity.  

It costs money to hire and train employees, even when they do come with experience (because they are going to train you how to do the job their way, few give a hoot how you did it at your previous job).  Few employers will waste their money on someone who is a flight risk. 

2.  It is also a legal way to practice agism by assuming that you are stuck in your ways.  Employers love young hires not only because they can pay them peanuts but because they can pay them peanuts to do stuff that an older, more experienced, employee would not do no matter how big the bag of peanuts may be.  Perhaps it is pride.  Or stubbornness.  Or having the maturity that only comes with age to know when someone treats you like a sucker.  Either way, this goes back to #1:  employers want employees who can be taught to do the job the way they want the job to be done. 

Sociology is considered a "Soft Science" definitely, but I think the job market being so bad is part of an overall societal ill. My dissertation will discuss strategies for looking at how liberal arts degrees are taught in other countries, and how they are implemented in such a way that talent and real world experiences manifest into transferable skills. Experience-based functional learning should address ways in which liberal arts majors can tap into their true potential by making use of what colleges SHOULD provide them with: connections with local communities and individuals in their field, internships, and more help crafting meaningful publications. By the way, I aim to make a few myself, since I'm so disgusted with this country throwing millenials under the bus. 

I participate in a few other forums relating to higher education in the U.S.  This sentiment of yours is the current belief of many, but as I have wrote many times here on Grad Cafe and elsewhere, higher education in the U.S. IS NOT vo-tech or career training.  There are a handful of universities that are adopting a "career-forward" approach to their educational model but in general undergrad in the U.S. is meant to be as preparation for grad school and grad school is meant to be training and conditioning for a career in academia.  It has been that way in the U.S. for well over 200 years and is not likely to change much anytime soon.  

This statement does not reflect the way the hiring process has changed in many industries since the dot com bubble burst in 2000. These changes, which became entrenched during the Great Recession, reflect employeers' understanding that they're in the driver's seat when it comes to hiring.

Today, companies can, and do, define the requirements and responsibilities of entry level positions (e.g. administrative assistant) in such a way that only those with years of experience and extensive expertise can make the first cut.

The term "overqualified" was used way before the dot com boom (and burst).  

The recession in the 1980s saw a higher unemployment rate than of the "Great Recession" (seriously, what's with the name?). 

Employers always had the upper hand.  The only difference is that through the 1980s they knew they had you by the ballz.  The fact that many Boomers and older are refusing to retire, plus an effin' boat load of Millennials who believe that college is a birthright,  has something to do with it. 

The term "overqualified" was used way before the dot com boom (and burst).  

The recession in the 1980s saw a higher unemployment rate than of the "Great Recession" (seriously, what's with the name?). 

Employers always had the upper hand.  The only difference is that through the 1980s they knew they had you by the ballz.  The fact that many Boomers and older are refusing to retire, plus an effin' boat load of Millennials who believe that college is a birthright,  has something to do with it.

You either misread my post or you have worked in different industries than I have.

Having been in the job market and also been privy to conversations about hiring and training, I hold to the view that the rules of the game have changed IRT to defining qualifications and training new hires.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say take anything...try smaller companies.  If you want to do market research, then get into marketing.  I think most grads cannot expect a "good" job right out of college anymore...unfortunately.  My pay actually went down from $10.12 to a grand $10.00 at my first job (that was with a graduate degree in social sciences btw).   If you can't find anything, usually sales or insurance places like to hire people, even if part time..it will give you some experience.  You could also (if you really have to ) leave off your graduate degree from your resume...

It took me 6 months to find work with a 3.98 undergraduate GPA and a masters in accounting, so I feel ya.  And I had to move too.  It sucks, but that is how it is.  But you shouldn't blame everyone else for your problems.  No one forced you to major in sociology.  You could have majored in Marketing if you had wanted to.  The internet existed 5 or 6 years ago when you chose your major.  You should have done your own research to determine if there were jobs for people with your degree.  You should have spoken with people who were in your industry to see what it was like and what things you could do to prepare the best for it. Society doesn't owe you a job just because you went to school. 

Now you have to figure out what *you* are going to do with *your* life.  Whining about your plight and what society has done isn't going to change anything in your life.  People don't care about you.  It's sad, but true.  They care about their bottom line.  So you have to find a way to make yourself useful to their bottom line.  You need to find a way to market yourself to them instead of expecting them to hire you because you think you deserve a job.

I don't think the major matters as much if you have experience working while in college, even on minute and sometimes obscure junk not related to your major.  But you also have to build and craft a story around your resume....your own "brand" if you will.  I agree with your last line though.... but having worked in really crappy jobs I wouldn't be so harsh to someone trying to find one. 

You could also (if you really have to ) leave off your graduate degree from your resume...

Make sure you read the fine print on the application materials before taking this suggestion. IME, one's signature (physical or digital) affirms that the information one provides is both accurate and complete. Moreover, consenting to a background check may also include unannounced future background checks as well.

Ideally, what kind of job would you like to get? What are your main intersts and career goals? This is a really great book I'd highly recommend. It can help you identify your strengths and different ways to tap into the job market. I'm sure you could find it in most public libraries. http://www.randomhouse.com/book/226865/what-color-is-your-parachute-2015-by-richard-n-bolles

The first thing that jumps out at me is you are unfocused - police department, research, retail, admin assistant. You need to tailor your job search to one area that you are (1) interested in and (2) qualified for. Second, if you have applied for 100+ jobs you are qualified for and only received 1 interview then something is wrong with your resume, cover letter, or both.

College career centers are the worst for advice. I recommend reading the sections of resumes, cover letters, and interviewing at Ask a Manager.

I have a BS in sociology and upon graduation it took me a year to get a job. I applied to a ton of places and could not even get an interview. I did a lot of research online and realized I was coming across as unfocused and my resume and cover letter had issues. Once I fixed that I started getting interviews and then was offered a job.

Good luck!

This statement does not reflect the way the hiring process has changed in many industries since the dot com bubble burst in 2000. These changes, which became entrenched during the Great Recession, reflect employers' understanding that they're in the driver's seat when it comes to hiring. Today, companies can, and do, define the requirements and responsibilities of entry level positions (e.g. administrative assistant) in such a way that only those with years of experience and extensive expertise can make the first cut.

Yes...but experience and expertise in the specific area. For example a company might hire an "entry-level" administrative assistant with an MS in human resources management and 4 years of experience in administrative assistant roles. That doesn't mean that they are going to hire an MA in sociology mostly with experience doing social science research. "Overqualified" is probably the wrong term here - first of all, the MA in sociology does not appear to have the skills that the company really wants; and secondly, the employer might suspect (rightfully so) that the MA in sociology might be bored or unfulfilled, undedicated to the work, and perhaps always looking to move on.

However, OP might get hired for a job that only required a BA in sociology and 0-1 years of experience in research. Yes, technically he's "overqualified," but if the work matches the work he did in the past and the employer can be reasonably convinced he'll enjoy it and not be too expensive for the role, its a bonus to have someone who knows what he's doing already in the role.

Also, administrative assistants aren't always entry-level - you can be a high-level administrative assistant. The job isn't just a fancy word for secretary.

I have two BA degrees from the same institution in advertising and art&design.  When I graduated in 2002 with the second degree, it took me 6 months to find a job, and it was in GIS mapping.  That feel through after about a year and I worked in a used bookstore.  then I was a stay at home mom for the last 10 years.  I didn't think I'd ever get a job that I would like.  I have tons of experience from college and applied for jobs for 2 years before finally starting work through a temp agency just to have some income...and now it looks like i might get to have the spot as permanent, working as a graduate program assistant at my alma mater.  The point is, you just gotta keep clawing away and gaining experience and tightening up your resume (both in looks and information) as well as your cover letters until you land something you like.  I get to use my computer skills, people skills and office skills daily...am I creating advertising materials?  No.  But I am doing something I enjoy.  Stop worrying about your degree and get your foot in the door.  Advancement comes later.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, I know not having a job can be very stressful. I am sure it is so hard looking around at your friend's success and nothing to show for yours at the moment. Don't get down because of that. It seems like you have a ton of school experience and retail experience to make money. You should create more opportunities for when people look at your resume they see how you are working towards more sociology and criminal justice experience. What do I mean by that?

1)Keep your retail job. That is a way to work on your social skills and  interact with people. That is definitely helpful for a sociology major as you are seeing and understanding everyone's demographic, which from what I studied is a huge basic principle of sociology. 

2). Research. Research jobs that bring you particular interest. You will see the requirements you need to work on so your resume will have those. Even though you have a lot of experience in school and retail, you might not have the experience they are looking for in a specific program. See what companies hire with your degree. It will give you more of an understanding about what you need in order to prepare. 

3) Experience criminal justice & sociology. Yes you have school and work experience. That is a great step, but it seems to me you need more experience in your industry. Yes you applied for the researchers assistant and got turned down. Don't feel upset, they didn't even meet you! There loss. A lot of positions are filled with people they know. Get out there and make connections in the industry whether that be meeting with an old professor for coffee or chatting with a friend in the industry- they might be able to help you. Also, try looking for another internship in the mean time to get more time with your major and a possible job offer.

Don't give up! 

Job hunting is a difficult task, and takes very different skills.

You are competing in a market flooded with qualified researchers. Really, research jobs are incredibly hard to come across outside of academia already, so consider the resumes in their hands! Those with 5+ professional years will have preference over someone in retail. Or even someone working 1 professional job in the past. Previous lab experience is great, but you're still considered "entry-level."  So, expect some serious competition. Anyone looking for a job needs professional experience as well as the paper credentials for a strong enough resume, and constant follow up, to even make it to an interview. I've  had atleast 4 jobs that, when I followed up with them, I heard, "you were the next person on my list to call!"

If your lacking enough professional experience, unfortunately, you need a lucky break, job hunting skills, and the willingness to work from the bottom wrung upwards. Volunteer work in your research area is great. Volunteering in research labs is fantastic, and working in your field (even if not in the exact career you want) is a better step. If direct care, treatment, etc. isn't something you want, consider other jobs you can do. 

• 2 months later...

Maybe you are not an impressive candidate.  Maybe this is not the field for you.  A degree doesn't guarantee you a job, especially from a mediocre university (and by that I mean not ivy league).  Life is tough, not sure what complaining accomplishes.  You do what you can with what you have.  Sure, there are institutional problems, like why are so many universities offering and encouraging young people to go to school when they should actually pursue entry level jobs and work their way up, or trade school, or anything else.  Yes, it's unfortunate that so many people drink the koolaid and get sucked in.  But to say that you deserve a job because you have a Masters, or have a 4.0GPA or a bunch of internships is indicative of a delusional mindset.  No one owes you anything.  And when did people become too good for retail jobs?  Lots of people do a lot of different jobs to get by.  Thinking you're above something is probably the reason why you're an off-putting candidate.