Pickering Fellowship

aidyinamman

Is anyone applying for the Pickering Fellowship? I've been searching for some information on exactly how competitive the selection process is and what might make a candidate stand out. The website is light on information. Anyone have any insight? I'm working on the essay and trying to figure out what to emphasize.

Glad to hear you're applying for the Pickering and interested in becoming an FSO. Please consult the following link for tips, which are applicable to the Pickering Fellowship, on creating a competitive application (statement of purpose included): http://www.rangelprogram.org/index.cfm?areaid=2&contentid=911&mcontent=y&typeid=CBRIAP92223

Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions. 

P.S. What are you up to in Amman? 

I'm applying as well! My Honors Program director called the Pickering fellowship, and I quote, "stupidly competitive". From my likely inaccurate calculations, the odds of getting it or the Rangel are about 12%, which actually isn't too bad.

I'm applying as well! My Honors Program director called the Pickering fellowship, and I quote, "stupidly competitive". From my likely inaccurate calculations, the odds of getting it or the Rangel are about 12%, which actually isn't too bad.

During my cycle the acceptance rate for the Graduate Pickering Fellowship was roughly 7%

I've also heard versions of the "stupidly competitive" line. It helps to have an actual percentage to keep in mind. The links posted above were all great; I would definitely recommend that anyone applying check them out.

During my cycle the acceptance rate for the Graduate Pickering Fellowship was roughly 7%

Yikes. I made the mistake of reading some of the profiles of past fellows and feel very very uncompetitive. But hey, if it doesn't happen this year, I'll keep re-applying till eternity...

Edited by ZebraFinch

ZebraFinch, please consider pursuing the Foreign Service through the traditional route as well (i.e. FSOT --> QEP --> FSOA --> Medical/TS/Suitability --> Register --> A-100 invite). Moreover, if you enter the State Department Civil Service, you could be eligible for the Mustang recruitment program (QEP --> FSOA --> Medical/TS/Suitability --> A-100 invite) after achieving tenure. Best of luck!

ZebraFinch, please consider pursuing the Foreign Service through the traditional route as well (i.e. FSOT --> QEP --> FSOA --> Medical/TS/Suitability --> Register --> A-100 invite). Moreover, if you enter the State Department Civil Service, you could be eligible for the Mustang recruitment program (QEP --> FSOA --> Medical/TS/Suitability --> A-100 invite) after achieving tenure. Best of luck!

I am, just terrified of the QEP part. But yeah, I gotta try the Civil Service too. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently a fellow. I agree it's a tough program to get into but I do think there are things that make one standout more than others in terms of who gets interviewed. If you have a good undergrad GPA, a demonstrated interest in public service and some kind of financial need you are probably more likely to be considered than say, someone with an amazing academic background and no financial need. The diversity/financial need component of it should not be overlooked.

Feel free to message if you have any questions.

I'm currently a fellow. I agree it's a tough program to get into but I do think there are things that make one standout more than others in terms of who gets interviewed. If you have a good undergrad GPA, a demonstrated interest in public service and some kind of financial need you are probably more likely to be considered than say, someone with an amazing academic background and no financial need. The diversity/financial need component of it should not be overlooked.

Feel free to message if you have any questions.

I've messaged you. :)

I applied for Pickering. Anybody else also apply for Rangel? Interview decisions should go out in about a week. Pickering announcements shouldn't be too far afterward, I'd imagine.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bumping this. The Rangel committee decides our fate tomorrow. Is anyone else freaking the hell out about that?

In a word: yes :) but I always saw this as a long shot so not too stressed. Good news is I think they will choose 30 fellows this year which is up from 20 in recent years. Good to see that especially with funding for new public sector positions seeming to shrink everywhere else.

I'm bumping this. The Rangel committee decides our fate tomorrow. Is anyone else freaking the hell out about that?

I had forgotten it was tomorrow  :unsure:. Where did they indicate it was tomorrow?

EDIT: This is on their Facebook:

"Congratulations to everyone who submitted an application for the 2015 Rangel Fellowship! The application period closed last night at 11:59 PM. We are now busy reviewing all the applications and preparing them for the selection panel. If we have questions, we will reach out to the applicants. Applicants can expect to hear whether they have been selected as finalists by the end of the day on February 20. Interviews this year are March 10 and 11. Thank you all for taking the time to apply and good luck!!!!"

Edited by ZebraFinch

I had forgotten it was tomorrow  :unsure:. Where did they indicate it was tomorrow?

EDIT: This is on their Facebook:

"Congratulations to everyone who submitted an application for the 2015 Rangel Fellowship! The application period closed last night at 11:59 PM. We are now busy reviewing all the applications and preparing them for the selection panel. If we have questions, we will reach out to the applicants. Applicants can expect to hear whether they have been selected as finalists by the end of the day on February 20. Interviews this year are March 10 and 11. Thank you all for taking the time to apply and good luck!!!!"

Which means they'll spend tomorrow picking through our applications and whatnot. Even though I know logically that they won't send out decisions until Friday, I can't stop refreshing my email. This is going to be the longest 48 hours of my life.

Which means they'll spend tomorrow picking through our applications and whatnot. Even though I know logically that they won't send out decisions until Friday, I can't stop refreshing my email. This is going to be the longest 48 hours of my life.

That makes two of us! I applied for both Pickering and Rangel but would prefer the Rangel.

Word to y'all Pickering/Rangel applicants. I'm glad I'm not the only one with my stomach in knots. I think I'd prefer the Rangel as well, if only because one of the internships is in DC, rather than having both internships abroad.

But OBVIOUSLY either one would be a freakin GODSEND.

I'll be refreshing my emails as well. Good luck to all you good people!

No-go from Rangel. Extremely sad. Thought I'd make it as a finalist at least. Thought I had a better shot at Rangel than Pickering so I'm going to consider the Pickering a no-go too. I can't attend grad school without financial aid so I guess this means deferring another year.

Edited by ZebraFinch

ZebraFinch, please don't feel down! There are million ways to get that grad school funding/A-100 offer. We just gotta keep trying from different angles.

The dice were in my favor this round. I just got notified that I'll be interviewing in March for a Rangel. If anyone else on this forum is interviewing, please shoot me a message or email me at askenned (at) gmail.com. I'd love to be able to compare notes on good interview prep techniques.

Good luck to all of you in your grad school/fellowship applications!

Aja

I'm not surprised you're  a finalist, ajak, you have a lot of experience! I'm straight out of undergrad so maybe I'm being a bit too ambitious and should seek work experience, and apply to these fellowships later on. Thank you for your kind words and I hope you kick butt in your interview!

ZebraFinch, please don't feel down! There are million ways to get that grad school funding/A-100 offer. We just gotta keep trying from different angles.

I second that wholeheartedly. I also wouldn't give up on Pickering just yet. I've been obsessing over the past Rangel/Pickering threads from the last few years, and only one Pickering recipient reported being a finalist for Rangel as well. They're two different fellowships with two different admissions committees, so there are no guarantees either way.

That being said, I also got the interview notification, so expect a frantic message sometime this weekend Aja. Hopefully we can all help each other through this.

Edited by ChocolateDiplomacy22