CSULB Applicants?

tamburger

Anyone else applying/already applied to CSULB's program? I have turned in my CSU Mentor application and am in the middle of getting my application packet sorted.  Does anyone know when I would be updated with the campus ID or how they will go about that?

Also related, who is going to the informational meeting at the end of the month? I was considering sending my app in earlier, but I wanted to go to that first as advised. Hope that would be helpful :rolleyes:

Just a heads up, I'm not sure how the departments are different, but when I applied for my MA I never really received any sort of official notification of admittance. I had completed my undergrad there and logged in one day to MyCSULB and there was a link to register for postbacc classes. That's how I found out I was admitted. Just make sure to keep up on knowing your status, but I hope professional programs are more rigid in the admissions process than programs in the humanities. Good luck!

I submitted my CSU Mentor application on 10/13/2014, and I got my campus ID information on 10/15/2014, so it shouldn't take too long until you get it! I am also in the process of putting my paper application together, and will mail it out by the end of this week! Good luck to you! I wish I could attend the informational meetings :(

I finished the school and department applications the second week of november and heard back from the school a couple days later with a campus id. It took a little less than two weeks to hear from the social work department stating that they got all my materials in. Last I checked, right before Christmas, I was under review.

Just a heads up, I'm not sure how the departments are different, but when I applied for my MA I never really received any sort of official notification of admittance. I had completed my undergrad there and logged in one day to MyCSULB and there was a link to register for postbacc classes. That's how I found out I was admitted. Just make sure to keep up on knowing your status, but I hope professional programs are more rigid in the admissions process than programs in the humanities. Good luck!

Oh!! I was accepted here back in 2013! I passed, though, because of the lack of funding for MA programs at state schools and applied to PhD programs instead. Do you know Bill Mohr? That guy was so nice, basically held my hand and helped me through everything when I was checking out the school.

Ay, sometimes I wish I would have taken the acceptance. Gosh, what I wouldn't give to have stayed in California, especially with the beach just minutes away. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, 

Trying to see if anyone out there went to any info sessions at CSULB or knows more about the program than what's up on their website? I'm really interested in the school, especially since they redesigned the program but don't know if it's better than SDSU or CSULA. I applied to the integrated health concentration and got in, but really undecided if CSULB is a better program compared to the other two, or even a better location. Thanks all for any help.

Hey all, 

Trying to see if anyone out there went to any info sessions at CSULB or knows more about the program than what's up on their website? I'm really interested in the school, especially since they redesigned the program but don't know if it's better than SDSU or CSULA. I applied to the integrated health concentration and got in, but really undecided if CSULB is a better program compared to the other two, or even a better location. Thanks all for any help.

The CSULB info meeting gave a general overview of their program.  The director, Dr. Meyer-Adams, presented the program pretty well.  She mentioned some highlights and strengths of the CSULB program without being arrogant.  I liked that she was respectful of other MSW programs.

My impression is all three programs are good...which probably explains why you applied to them in the first place. 

Some people care about rankings, and supposedly SDSU is ranked higher.  Many people view San Diego as a desirable and attractive location...the beaches are beautiful...there's less traffic, etc.. Plus, it genuinely seems like a strong program.  This may not matter, but they require the GRE while CSULA and CSULB do not. Plus, SDSU explicitly requires a certain # of hours of volunteering (500 hours) AND proof of volunteering while CSULB and CSULA do not.  These two things may not mean much, but it could be viewed as a positive reflection of their high expectations.

Something mentioned in the CSULB meeting is all the nearby MSW programs share many of the same agencies. So that may mean a lot of competition among MSW students from CSULA, USC, UCLA, CSUDH, CSULB, etc....  I don't know, but my guess is you may have more options (less competition) for your top choice(s) of field placement in San Diego.

Lastly, if you haven't already, maybe visit SoCal during a weekend.  For example, you can visit CSULA and CSULB on a Saturday and then drive to San Diego on Sunday. 

Maybe visiting the campuses and the respective city/area can give you a better sense/feel of which school is right for you.  Cheers!

The CSULB info meeting gave a general overview of their program.  The director, Dr. Meyer-Adams, presented the program pretty well.  She mentioned some highlights and strengths of the CSULB program without being arrogant.  I liked that she was respectful of other MSW programs.

My impression is all three programs are good...which probably explains why you applied to them in the first place. 

Some people care about rankings, and supposedly SDSU is ranked higher.  Many people view San Diego as a desirable and attractive location...the beaches are beautiful...there's less traffic, etc.. Plus, it genuinely seems like a strong program.  This may not matter, but they require the GRE while CSULA and CSULB do not. Plus, SDSU explicitly requires a certain # of hours of volunteering (500 hours) AND proof of volunteering while CSULB and CSULA do not.  These two things may not mean much, but it could be viewed as a positive reflection of their high expectations.

Something mentioned in the CSULB meeting is all the nearby MSW programs share many of the same agencies. So that may mean a lot of competition among MSW students from CSULA, USC, UCLA, CSUDH, CSULB, etc....  I don't know, but my guess is you may have more options (less competition) for your top choice(s) of field placement in San Diego.

Lastly, if you haven't already, maybe visit SoCal during a weekend.  For example, you can visit CSULA and CSULB on a Saturday and then drive to San Diego on Sunday. 

Maybe visiting the campuses and the respective city/area can give you a better sense/feel of which school is right for you.  Cheers!

Hey SocialWaiter, thanks for the info. I did take into high consideration the fact that there's a high concentration of MSW programs around L.A., whereas San Diego only has SDSU and USC's San Diego Academic Center for Social Work (which is more focused on military social work in SD). I also looked at the stats for how many from each school go on to take the lcsw exam and actually pass. CSULB and SDSU had some of the highest percentages of pass vs. fail only after UC Berkeley, USC and UCLA. I maybe making a big assumption but it does seem that San Diego does put extra effort into "weeding people out" so to speak, with having to take the GRE, and a required minimum amount of social services hours. Though CSULB has about a 19% acceptance rate (over 1100 apply) vs. SDSU which has about 23% (over 400 apply) per petersons. Plus SDSU makes you take a comprehensive exam to even go on to the 2nd year, you fail, you re-apply for the following year. Ultimately I do want to wind up in L.A. as I think there are more opportunities there in terms of job stability and advancement, however coming from San Diego, I won't have the same connections that those interning through L.A. programs will have. Then again, San Diego is only 2 hours away so who knows what connections professors and field sites have in L.A. Thanks again for the added insight. This site is a great sounding board when it comes to putting things in perspective.

Hey SocialWaiter, thanks for the info. I did take into high consideration the fact that there's a high concentration of MSW programs around L.A., whereas San Diego only has SDSU and USC's San Diego Academic Center for Social Work (which is more focused on military social work in SD). I also looked at the stats for how many from each school go on to take the lcsw exam and actually pass. CSULB and SDSU had some of the highest percentages of pass vs. fail only after UC Berkeley, USC and UCLA. I maybe making a big assumption but it does seem that San Diego does put extra effort into "weeding people out" so to speak, with having to take the GRE, and a required minimum amount of social services hours. Though CSULB has about a 19% acceptance rate (over 1100 apply) vs. SDSU which has about 23% (over 400 apply) per petersons. Plus SDSU makes you take a comprehensive exam to even go on to the 2nd year, you fail, you re-apply for the following year. Ultimately I do want to wind up in L.A. as I think there are more opportunities there in terms of job stability and advancement, however coming from San Diego, I won't have the same connections that those interning through L.A. programs will have. Then again, San Diego is only 2 hours away so who knows what connections professors and field sites have in L.A. Thanks again for the added insight. This site is a great sounding board when it comes to putting things in perspective.

I agree with you.  When I researched schools, I also sensed SDSU is very selective in "weeding people out" and assumed their rigorous requirements probably meant their program is robust and competitive.

You mentioned acceptance rates.  I respect schools that keep their cohorts reasonably sized so class size is manageable and students can foster a personal relationship with professors.

You are right...this site is a great sounding board.  Someone else wrote (paraphrasing) that it doesn't matter where exactly one goes, as long as its a credited school.  In general, it makes sense and is probably true that some jobs only care about a graduate from a legitimate MSW program.  But realistically, where one goes to school has pragmatic significance.  I could be wrong, but I think for initial jobs for new graduates, being local is advantageous.  Like you said, forming connections with local agencies/non-profits/charities, networking, etc... all helps.  If for example someone graduated from a "far-away" school, if s/he is applying to jobs, how practical would it be to go for an interview?  Sure, phone and web-cam/Skype interviews may be possible, but local applicants may have an advantage to in-person interviews.  This is based on what I read from   http://www.reddit.com/r/socialwork/comments/2szq2d/msw_postgraduation_advice

Attending a school outside LA (like SDSU) doesn't exclude or prevent you from getting a job in LA, but I can see how some benefit from attending a nearby MSW program.  Someone else wrote that HR managers and agencies probably form positive impressions if they have previous hires who attended the same school. 

Someone else posted on this forum that it's not just the school that matters, but the person...what you make out of it and how much work you put into it helps determine your future success. 

A girl I'm dating is in the U$C MSW program, and I'm nervous for her because of her loans once she graduates.  My opinion is just because she and her classmates attend a "famous" school like USC, it doesn't necessarily guarantee anything, let alone a good after she/they graduate.

Anyhow, it seems like you're weighing everything and taking everything into consideration...so you'll be fine with whatever you decide.

Not everyone would find this credible or worthwhile, but maybe you might be curious:

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/search.jsp?queryBy=schoolId&schoolName=San+Diego+State+University&sid=877&queryoption=TEACHER&dept=Social+Work#

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/search.jsp?queryBy=schoolId&schoolName=California+State+University+Long+Beach&sid=162&queryoption=TEACHER&dept=Social+Work

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/search.jsp?queryBy=schoolId&schoolName=California+State+University+Los+Angeles&sid=157&queryoption=TEACHER&dept=Social+Work

I agree with you.  When I researched schools, I also sensed SDSU is very selective in "weeding people out" and assumed their rigorous requirements probably meant their program is robust and competitive.

You mentioned acceptance rates.  I respect schools that keep their cohorts reasonably sized so class size is manageable and students can foster a personal relationship with professors.

You are right...this site is a great sounding board.  Someone else wrote (paraphrasing) that it doesn't matter where exactly one goes, as long as its a credited school.  In general, it makes sense and is probably true that some jobs only care about a graduate from a legitimate MSW program.  But realistically, where one goes to school has pragmatic significance.  I could be wrong, but I think for initial jobs for new graduates, being local is advantageous.  Like you said, forming connections with local agencies/non-profits/charities, networking, etc... all helps.  If for example someone graduated from a "far-away" school, if s/he is applying to jobs, how practical would it be to go for an interview?  Sure, phone and web-cam/Skype interviews may be possible, but local applicants may have an advantage to in-person interviews.  This is based on what I read from   http://www.reddit.com/r/socialwork/comments/2szq2d/msw_postgraduation_advice

Attending a school outside LA (like SDSU) doesn't exclude or prevent you from getting a job in LA, but I can see how some benefit from attending a nearby MSW program.  Someone else wrote that HR managers and agencies probably form positive impressions if they have previous hires who attended the same school. 

Someone else posted on this forum that it's not just the school that matters, but the person...what you make out of it and how much work you put into it helps determine your future success. 

A girl I'm dating is in the U$C MSW program, and I'm nervous for her because of her loans once she graduates.  My opinion is just because she and her classmates attend a "famous" school like USC, it doesn't necessarily guarantee anything, let alone a good after she/they graduate.

Anyhow, it seems like you're weighing everything and taking everything into consideration...so you'll be fine with whatever you decide.

Not everyone would find this credible or worthwhile, but maybe you might be curious:

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/search.jsp?queryBy=schoolId&schoolName=San+Diego+State+University&sid=877&queryoption=TEACHER&dept=Social+Work#

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/search.jsp?queryBy=schoolId&schoolName=California+State+University+Long+Beach&sid=162&queryoption=TEACHER&dept=Social+Work

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/search.jsp?queryBy=schoolId&schoolName=California+State+University+Los+Angeles&sid=157&queryoption=TEACHER&dept=Social+Work

I did not think to look at ratemyprofessor, even though I looked at it pretty regularly for undergrad. It seems SDSU and CSULA both have a high number of reviews from former/current students unlike CSULB. Across the board, it seems all 3 programs have pretty high regards for their professors. 

I definitely agree with you and others on the board who actively think about the debt to income ratio upon graduation. That is my number one concern and I'm sure I'm not alone on this. Going to either CSULB or CSULA will keep tuition costs low, but the cost of living is high, even in comparison to San Diego. Then tack on traffic and competition with others MSW programs you're competing with say  a minimum 500+ people (assuming there's around 100 for each MSW program) versus SDSU, tuition is low and you're only competing with your fellow classmates. 

I agree, being local is a definite bonus when it comes to getting a job right out of grad school, but in terms of being close yet far with SDSU, it might be appreciated to have someone come aboard that isn't from the immediate area but familiar with the areas needs and clientele and still close enough to do in person interviews like you mentioned as they'll already see the interest in being in the L.A. area just from applying. 

They're all good accredited programs, each with their own niche in producing quality social workers, so it does often come down to location, area of focus and post-grad job prospects. Decisions, decisions. Hopefully this will be helpful to others in the process of choosing as well. Thanks again.

Hey all,

When did you apply tO sdsu and when did you hear back from them?

Hey all,

When did you apply tO sdsu and when did you hear back from them?

It was the 2 year concentration, integrated health

Did you get an email/webportal update first? or letter in the mail? I'm assuming email, but just want to double check! Thank you in advance :)

Edited by Sh!zaam

Did you get an email/webportal update first? or letter in the mail? I'm assuming email, but just want to double check! Thank you in advance :)

Nice, congrats!

Thanks daisydukes. And yes, I did receive an email first. So far, CSULA is the only one that came by snail mail.

Thanks daisydukes. And yes, I did receive an email first. So far, CSULA is the only one that came by snail mail.

Thanks again and congratulations on your acceptances!  :)

Edited by Sh!zaam

I just turned in my application, though since I haven't had the greatest luck before with this program, I am not holding my breath. Though it would be a dream if i could get in. I'm specifically interested in their PPS credential.

Anyone else interested in that specialization?

I just turned in my application, though since I haven't had the greatest luck before with this program, I am not holding my breath. Though it would be a dream if i could get in. I'm specifically interested in their PPS credential.

I mailed my packet in this weekend, so I'm anxiously waiting. :wacko: I hadn't thought about the specialization until I went to the informational meeting. My experience is with children, so it would be pretty stellar if I could get the credential, but if they wind up placing me elsewhere for my concentration, I wouldn't mind either! Good luck to you!

That's another reason I love LB MSW program. My first choice would be integrated health and the PPS credential would be my second since I would love working with children in a school environment.

I like that CSULB let's you sort of test the waters the first year before committing to a specialization the second. Who knows, I may like working with a completely different population. Anyway, good luck to both of you!