Stanford Biosciences Admission

dahbears

I've recently been offered an interview for a Biosciences PhD (in the Biomedical Informatics home program) at Stanford. I was curious if anyone had an idea as to what the chances were of being admitted after being invited for an interview? I saw on their website that a recent cycle had 150 applicants were 7 were admitted... Yikes!  

uhh do they mean 150 people applied total or 150 people interviewed? I think it's pretty rare for programs to have an acceptance rate of much less than 50% post-interview. It is expensive to interview people, you wouldn't pay to fly 150 people in if you only had room to accept 7.  

Also, they could have meant 150 people interviewed for ALL biosciences programs and 7 were accepted in biomedical informatics. 

Edited by nutellarain

From what I've heard, last year 140 people applied to the Biomedical Informatics program only. 19 were invited for interviews, 7 were admitted, 6 accepted the offer (1 candidate apparently decided to go elsewhere).

@dahbears: Did they call you or did they send you an email for the invitation to interviews ?

Sorry for the confusion... 150 referred to the number of applicants, not interviewees as per http://bmi.stanford.edu/prospective-students/faq.html. I guess the exact number was 135...

Thanks for the info AlexOckham! That's what I was looking for. I received both a call and an email within an hour of each other late last week. 

I think many people are still waiting for news from the Stanford Biosciences admission... Besides the 2 people contacted last week by phone and email, did anyone have news from the Biomedical Informatics department ?

I think many people are still waiting for news from the Stanford Biosciences admission... Besides the 2 people contacted last week by phone and email, did anyone have news from the Biomedical Informatics department ?

I haven't heard back, but you can be sure that those who put in their applications early and were extremely stellar have already heard back.

Has anyone (besides the one person who posted a week ago) heard from Dev Bio, Mol & Cell Physiology, or Biochemistry?

Expecting the worst but not ready to call admissions yet...

Did anyone heard back from the stem cell biology and regenerative medicine program yet (besides the one person who posted on the results page)? I'm prepared for the worst, but I just wanted to know already...