Duke MPP 2015 hopefuls..?

divertan

@ajak568

I received the email as well but the tittle was "No coursework conditions". Reading it through, it seems they only suggested some courses online so you have the opportunity of reviewing the subjects.

@ajak568

I received the email as well but the tittle was "No coursework conditions". Reading it through, it seems they only suggested some courses online so you have the opportunity of reviewing the subjects.

Darn! My email definitely did not say "No coursework conditions". Gonna have to take this up with the admissions peeps.

Thanks for the info!

Just got an email saying I needed to complete a microecon course. Was a little surprised since I took Introductory Econ (combined micro and macro) as an undergrad. Perhaps that wasn't sufficient since it wasn't a full semester of micro. I'll definitely be calling to inquire.

@ajak568

I go this same message, however later in the email it mentioned something about mandatory placement exams for stats and microecon. Did yours mention that?

This is the first time I've heard about such a thing, does anyone have any info...?

Same here.Was taken by the mail today which said the conditional offer of admission subject to the successful completion of few suggested courses with minimum of B grade.

The attached list for the micro economy and stat courses are ranging from $500 to $1200 almost.

I am also planning to have a talk with them and sudden posting of the conditional offer.

@handiya

My email said this:

"As mentioned in your admission letter, adequate preparation for required courses in microeconomics and statistics is crucial to success at Sanford. We are writing to let you know that we are not placing any coursework conditions on your admission; however, many students choose to take a refresher course (free online options listed below) prior to the mandatory online placement exams in late July. Our students have found these courses to be a helpful foundation for their studies at Sanford."

@MJA87

From what I've understood after talking with a pair of Duke students, if you do well on the placement exams you could take a more advanced version of several courses. I wouldn't worry too much but if you are interested in quantitative methods for impact evaluation (as I am), I guess you should study a little bit before the exams just to make sure you'll have no problem in taking the classes you wish.

From what I've understood after talking with a pair of Duke students, if you do well on the placement exams you could take a more advanced version of several courses. I wouldn't worry too much but if you are interested in quantitative methods for impact evaluation (as I am), I guess you should study a little bit before the exams just to make sure you'll have no problem in taking the classes you wish.

While I knew I'd likely need to do both microecon and stats prereqs (didn't do either after high school), and I DO, the mention of placement exams in their email earlier today threw me a little. 

Could someone clarify whether these placement exams are mandatory or if you can choose to take them up only if you'd like to do more advanced versions of courses, as dudeinspace has said above?

The language in the email I received seems to make it pretty clear they're a requirement. It seems grad school's about to begin early. Damn.

I can offer some thoughts on the conditional acceptances with regard to microeconomics/ statistics and the placement exams for advanced quantitative courses. For more details on the current policy that is being applied, I urge you to check in with admissions if you haven't already. According to the current FAQs

Q. WHAT IF I HAVE NEVER TAKEN ANY MICRO- OR MACRO-ECONOMICS COURSES? 

A. We require all applicants to complete coursework in microeconomics and statistics at an accredited institution (with a grade of “B” or higher) prior to enrollment. Official transcripts must be submitted by August 1st.

Last year, I believe the policy was that you needed to have taken coursework in those two subjects within the past five years. I had one statistics course from my senior year of college, which was less than five years out; when I was accepted, my letter said that I needed to complete microeconomics. I was a little surprised too, because I hadn't read closely all universities' pre-requisites policies. When I accepted the offer, I also had to reply separately to an email to confirm that I would do my microeconomics course before I enrolled. 

I took the online microeconomics course with UCLA Extension, which cost $595. I heartily recommend it, because it was easy to do while I was traveling abroad at the time. I wrote a short-response each week on the reading, took a quiz each week, and a final exam that was online as well. While by no means intellectual, it gave me a brief introduction to the subject, and I think helped me vastly during my fall semester. Duke offers a challenging quantitative curriculum, and I know I would've struggled a lot without it.

Last August, I took the placement exam online a few weeks before orientation. I know just the concept of a placement exam can seem intimidating, like you're being judged even before you arrive. That wasn't my experience, though. You shouldn't study for it, because the point is really just to match up your knowledge of econ and stats with the depth of what the different quantitative courses offer. It only took me fifteen minutes to finish both placement exams, because I knew I pretty much knew nothing, and would need to take the regular course. During orientation week, we were placed into a regular or advanced course for both microeconomics and statistics, based on the results of the exam, and the MPP program staff emphasized that we could choose to take the other course if we were so inclined, but that we should know the difference between the two.

As I chose regular microeconomics, I had to take two semesters; the first was an intermediate-level intro to microeconomics (supply and demand, monopoly, production functions), and the second is microeconomic policy applications, which uses what we learned in our first semester to think about structure for welfare programs, tax policy, or calculate benefits and costs. If you take the advanced microeconomics, the two regular semesters are condensed into one required course. From what I understand from classmates, it is more heavy on theory, and doesn't include as much of the applications that we're doing in our second semester.

I also chose the regular course in statistics, which we colloquially referred to as "the people's stats". =) It is also a two semester requirement; the first was an introduction to statistics (mean, median, probability, t-tests, basic regression, using STATA), and the second semester is quantitative methods of evaluation, where we learn the concepts behind statistical research (multivariate regression, difference-in-difference, fixed effects) by reading lots and lots of empirical papers. If you take the advanced statistics course, it is again just one semester, and from the way it was taught this fall, it was very heavy on theory and proofs. 

Personally, I've enjoyed both classes much more than I expected. I have mediocre math grades through high school, and never took any econ or calculus in college. I was surprised to find out I could actually do this work, and have really come to enjoy it. I will try to get a fellow student to discuss his/her experience of what the advanced quantitative courses were like, and maybe encourage others to share their thoughts about the regular quant classes too. We just finished midterms and are now on spring break, which is pretty darn exciting! Hope to see some of you afterward at the Open House.

Edited by chocolatecheesecake

Here's some hope for anyone questioning their conditional admission:

I successfully appealed Admissions to count my undergrad micro course to fulfill the Econ requirement. It seems that since the class is labeled as 'Micro Theory' on my transcript, Admissions did not realize the depth of material the course covered.

My stats appeal was less successful. AP credit from your high school days won't cut it, even if it's credited on your undergrad transcript.

I hope this helps someone!

Aja

• 2 weeks later...

Just got an email saying I needed to complete a microecon course. Was a little surprised since I took Introductory Econ (combined micro and macro) as an undergrad. Perhaps that wasn't sufficient since it wasn't a full semester of micro. I'll definitely be calling to inquire.

Same for me, I did Introductory Econ and have also been offered a "conditional admission". Did you call and inquire? I'm not really feeling like enrolling in an online course...

I turned down my offer from Sanford and then got an email about it offering more funding and asking me to reconsider. Someone from admissions offered to give me a call to talk it over. Is this normal? I am a little surprised because my GPA is not a 4.0 and my GRE V and Q scores are not 170s. I don't have a lot of work experience. Do they regularly make a practice of putting special effort into trying to hold on to admitted students who are considering not enrolling?

I am just very surprised, since I was not expecting this reaction at all.

Edited by ajak568

Aja, I haven't heard of this happening before at any school, but I can tell you're obviously very competitive at all the schools you've applied to. I think it's just something they want to do to show you that you're highly regarded. If the extra funding and the show of attention makes a difference, you can reconsider. If not, I know you'll have a great time at Princeton anyway. :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey folks, I just wanted to run my scenario by you and get some of your thoughts.

It looks like my cost of attendance at Duke Sanford would be about $90,000 ($45k tuition/year - $20k funding/year + ~$20k cost of living/year). That's a terrifying number to me, though I've taken comfort reading about Income Based Repayment and Public Service Loan Forgiveness.

Are any of you considering Duke Sanford at a similar cost, or do you think I'm crazy? It's by far my favorite program that I've been admitted to, but unfortunately it's also one of my more expensive options.

@MJA87

I don't know if it is too late to say this, but last week I have declined my offer (which included a substantial yet not total funding), so if you haven't done so already I would suggest trying to negotiate for more funding (explaining them that they are your first choice, etc). As chocolatecheesecake commented before, I think that Sanford is open for "negotiating"  funding fellowships/awards under the right circumstances.

I also believe that I am not the first nor the last person that will be declining a funded offer to this school, therefore some other funds may have become available (OMG I sound like a letter that they sent me from Ford when I asked for more funding)

@all

Good luck with your decisions (if you haven't done so already) The April 15th week is this one! lol

Cheers

Hi MJA87,

This advice may be too late but I personally feel the cost of living you're estimating is a bit much.  As a graduate student at Duke you could easily live well below that as long as you're willing to make sacrifices (living with roommates in a group house vs. studio, not going to happy hours every week, finding places to find free food, buying used books, etc.)

The cost of living in places like Durham is very reasonable: Say your rent is $500 a month - for a year's rent that's $6000.  During the summer you could sublet the place (save $1500) and depending on the field you want to get into, your summer internship may pay as well.  Plus remember the work study job - you could probably make ~$500-$600 a month during the semester.  That's more than enough for food.

I guess what I am trying to say is that there really shouldn't be a need to get $20,000 in debt just for living expenses during the school year as long as you're willing to make sacrifices.  But then again, graduate school is stressful so maybe you want to live more comfortably.

Hi MJA87,

This advice may be too late but I personally feel the cost of living you're estimating is a bit much.  As a graduate student at Duke you could easily live well below that as long as you're willing to make sacrifices (living with roommates in a group house vs. studio, not going to happy hours every week, finding places to find free food, buying used books, etc.)

The cost of living in places like Durham is very reasonable: Say your rent is $500 a month - for a year's rent that's $6000.  During the summer you could sublet the place (save $1500) and depending on the field you want to get into, your summer internship may pay as well.  Plus remember the work study job - you could probably make ~$500-$600 a month during the semester.  That's more than enough for food.

I guess what I am trying to say is that there really shouldn't be a need to get $20,000 in debt just for living expenses during the school year as long as you're willing to make sacrifices.  But then again, graduate school is stressful so maybe you want to live more comfortably.

Thanks for the reply. That's great news, considering I just accepted Duke's offer.

I'm so excited!

Congratulations on your decision! I have seen your posts throughout the past couple of months, so I'm glad that this nerve-racking period has resulted in an outcome that you feel very happy about.

Ask Duke about residual fellowship funds. I turned down their full tuition offer. I have heard of people getting extra aid (it may vary by school) even after the deadline.

Best of luck with everything!

What school did you decide on naso?

Thanks for the reply. That's great news, considering I just accepted Duke's offer.

I'm so excited!

I'm pretty much in the same situation here. I literally ended up accepting Duke's offer 2 minutes before the 5 pm deadline today because of my doubts between Sanford vs. Heinz (CMU). Uncertainty is a real B*tch! 

This is either one of the best investments I've ever have or will make, or it'll be a catastrophic decision that'll put me in too much debt in the future. Either way, I'll try to make the most out of these next two years. 

I also sent in my deposit to Duke yesterday. The final push I needed came when, after asking both schools to review my scholarship offer, CMU emailed and tried to convince me I didn't need any more money, and Duke gave me more no questions asked!

Super excited you guys will be joining us next year!! I'm drowning in the soup that is end-of-term papers, projects, and exams, not to mention planning and budgeting for next year's student organizations, but I know next year will be awesome. Have a great summer, take some time for yourself and relax a little bit... August will be here before you know it!

I also sent in my deposit to Duke yesterday. The final push I needed came when, after asking both schools to review my scholarship offer, CMU emailed and tried to convince me I didn't need any more money, and Duke gave me more no questions asked!

Yeah, I ended up picking Duke even though CMU gave me more $ because the latter seemed too technocratic when it came to public policy analysis. Not saying that it's a bad thing, but I don't think I would've fit in as well there.

Super excited you guys will be joining us next year!! I'm drowning in the soup that is end-of-term papers, projects, and exams, not to mention planning and budgeting for next year's student organizations, but I know next year will be awesome. Have a great summer, take some time for yourself and relax a little bit... August will be here before you know it!

Thanks for all your helpful advice. And here's something to help you relax and focus better for this stressful time. Not sure if you're into EDM music, but it sure helps in de-stressing. 

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I ended up picking Duke even though CMU gave me more $ because the latter seemed too technocratic when it came to public policy analysis. Not saying that it's a bad thing, but I don't think I would've fit in as well there. 

I felt this same way. Duke's open house really blew me away. The environment is just top notch and the quality of the student very high. They've also got great profs and staff. They have clearly invested a lot of thought and resources in the program over the years. It's evident in how they've stacked hires and blended disciplines along with applied practice. The other thing that really stood out to me was the sense of community that Sanford exudes. It has a very active, very community-oriented student body doing some incredible work in the Durham area. Durham and the whole Research Triangle are wonderful, too. Great food, affordable living, super friendly people, and nice, moderate weather. What's not to love?!

• 7 months later...

@chocolatecheesecake

Hey !!

I think I have joined the conversation a bit late. I had a question for you, I haven't submitted my video essay (don't ask me why). I know it was a bit stupid of me but I did not want to screw it up. I read your post where you have mentioned that it is an important component of the application. So am I in trouble?

13 hours ago, MH2 said:

@chocolatecheesecake

Hey !!

I think I have joined the conversation a bit late. I had a question for you, I haven't submitted my video essay (don't ask me why). I know it was a bit stupid of me but I did not want to screw it up. I read your post where you have mentioned that it is an important component of the application. So am I in trouble?

Hey, no problem. About the video essay, I think you're not in trouble. I've heard from various friends in the program that they didn't choose to submit a video essay, so it's truly optional. However, I think it's a great chance to showcase how unique you are - when they read your application, they can literally picture you on their campus contributing to things. So if you get a chance to do it for other applications, I definitely suggest it. However, you're not in trouble, so don't worry about it. It's submitted, after all! If you have other questions, send them along. Good luck!