SIPA or Fletcher

Hello everyone

Selecting a grad school is never the easy and right now i have poised at a juncture, where i require your assistance:

I got into SIPA - MIA (Concentration - ‘International Security Policy’ & Specialization - ‘International Conflict Resolution’) and Fletcher MALD (Area of studies - International Negotiation & Conflict resolution - Human Security).

My existing educational and professional background has been in economics, human rights and of working in conflict areas on aid effectiveness, human rights, gender etc. In my masters, i want to build on that experience and gain expertise in international affairs and of understanding conflicts and finding ways to mitigate them, especially focusing on negotiations. 

Why SIPA - The brand! The location! The Concentration and specialization are hands on and have a practical component as well!.

Why not SIPA - The compulsory courses in management, economics and finance are something which i am not particularly interested in.

Why Fletcher - Focus on law (as knowledge of international law is imperative to become a successful international civil servant), the course structure allows me to really focus in my intended areas of specialization. I have interacted with a Tufts alumini and read extensively that the Fletcher culture is extremely close knit.

Why not Fletcher - a) No course available which includes a field work component. It is extremely well known in the United States, how well known is it in the same sector in Africa or Middle East?

I really look forward to everyone's inputs.

PS: I have also applied to SAIS, GW, GT, Yale and Graduate Institute, but SIPA and Fletcher are my first two preferences.

Edited by Gradstudies_IA

I'm currently at Fletcher and can confirm that the Fletcher culture is extremely close-knit. Not only is there a tight-knit community among students, but also among students, professors, and staff. The flexible curriculum is a huge asset because most Fletcher students have very specialized interests so it's essential to be able to tailor the coursework to your own interests. In terms of the field work, I think many students use the summer internship as an opportunity to do field work and, in many cases, they link that field work to their capstone/thesis. 

I did similar research and have to agree with you that SIPA is far, far more well known internationally. Since you're from Delhi, it might benefit you more to have a degree from SIPA. If you were a U.S. citizen interested in working in Washington D.C., Fletcher would be a program. But Columbia is far more well known internationally.