Recently Unemployed - How to Prepare?

MrWizard454

Hey all, just recently became unemployed at the start of the new year due to my contract expiring at a major chemical company (I left on very good terms with my employers however who were very upset to see me go). Unfortunately, this is starting to have an effect on my confidence in applying to graduate programs, since my decision to go to grad school has led me to an "all or nothing" style gambit, which I'm desperate to see pay off.

Majors: Chemistry, Philosophy

Undergraduate GPA: 3.12

Chemistry GPA: 3.11

GRE Verbal: 162 (89%)

GRE Quantitative: 160 (78%)

Analytical Writing: 5.5 (98%)

Chemistry GRE: 720 (54 %)

Unfortunately, I didn't have the highest Chemistry GPA in undergraduate, which was largely due to starting my major about a  year and a half before graduating. Luckily, one of my recommenders from undergrad who was well aware of my circumstances promised to go into detail regarding why she thinks I'm an excellent applicant and the reasons for my struggle. I've also had my personal statement reviewed by her and several others (grad students, my recommenders, etc) who assure me that it does an excellent job of outlining exactly why I will be beneficial to a PhD program.

Regardless, I've spent two years since graduating in industry,  because I didn't think my application (or my laboratory skills) was strong enough at the time of graduating. My first year was spent as an R&D chemist synthesizing infrared absorbing dyes and optimizing our reaction formulations, as well as production. My more recent experience (which just ended) was spent analyzing precious metal/moisture content in samples. The experience was a well-rounded mix of bench chemistry, instrumentation experience, and R&D. The manager of my laboratory put together a great recommendation vouching for my Chemistry skills, but I'm still unsure how my unorthodox career might look to an Admissions Committee. No publications, unfortunately.

So a few questions this now leads me to:

1) What are my chances at getting into at least one of these listed universities: Penn State, Rutgers University, Boston College, Stony Brook University, Princeton University, or Columbia University? I do have references at both Rutgers and Stony Brook (not POI's, but other individuals important to the University), but not well enough that I'd regard either as guaranteed.

2) What methods would you all recommend to prepare in the mean time while waiting to see regarding interviews and acceptances, etc? I have more than a few grad level text books which I've purchased since graduating that I do pick my way through regularly.

3) Are there any free methods of accessing research publications? I'm often told how important it is to keep up on relevant literature, but I don't have many financially viable means of doing so (to my knowledge).

4) I've heard different things regarding how industry experience is regarded for PhD applicants. Some have told me that it makes grad students able to function more independently, but I've heard others say that unless it's entirely research focused, it will be viewed negatively.

Thank you everyone and I hope this is not in poor taste on my part. Answers to any or all are appreciated.

Edited by MrWizard454

Have you already applied or not?

Are you asking what you should do to be a better applicant if you're not accepted this go-round?

Otherwise, there's not much you can do besides wait.

I am not in your field, but on this forum I have also read mixed things about industry experience. Hopefully someone from your programs and field can help you there.

I also stopped working about 6 months ago, and in the meantime I've started my own business and I do freelancing work that is not necessarily related, but is nonetheless beneficial/foundational for grad school. I've done my best to make myself a strong applicant by doing some community teaching, reading as much as I can about the field (including textbooks), and prepping for the GRE's because I had been out of school for almost 10 years. I also took on some extracurricular stuff which may not help my apps, but certainly makes me a happier person.

As far as number 3 - for my field, I was able to sign up for a relevant national association, and though it wasn't free, it provided me access to about a dozen journals, which collectively would've cost me over a thousand dollars to subscribe to! The membership was about a hundred bucks, for comparison.

As for the "chances" question... well... see the "Before You Ask 'What are My Chances?'" thread :)  ...No one can really say!

But good luck to you!

Hey all, just recently became unemployed at the start of the new year due to my contract expiring at a major chemical company (I left on very good terms with my employers however who were very upset to see me go). Unfortunately, this is starting to have an effect on my confidence in applying to graduate programs, since my decision to go to grad school has led me to an "all or nothing" style gambit, which I'm desperate to see pay off.

You can't let that situation hurt your confidence. It's all too common these days for people to be forced into shitty temporary jobs. Actually, last year I was in a situation similar to yours, I worked as a formulation chemist for a large company for about a year, but my contract ended November 2013 as I was in the middle of applying to PhD programs. I'm now in my second semester.

Majors: Chemistry, Philosophy

Undergraduate GPA: 3.12

Chemistry GPA: 3.11

GRE Verbal: 162 (89%)

GRE Quantitative: 160 (78%)

Analytical Writing: 5.5 (98%)

Chemistry GRE: 720 (54 %)

Unfortunately, I didn't have the highest Chemistry GPA in undergraduate, which was largely due to starting my major about a  year and a half before graduating. Luckily, one of my recommenders from undergrad who was well aware of my circumstances promised to go into detail regarding why she thinks I'm an excellent applicant and the reasons for my struggle. I've also had my personal statement reviewed by her and several others (grad students, my recommenders, etc) who assure me that it does an excellent job of outlining exactly why I will be beneficial to a PhD program.

You're above the minimums, I agree that your GPA is not stellar, but there's ways around that and I've known of people with lower GPAs who do great work.

Regardless, I've spent two years since graduating in industry,  because I didn't think my application (or my laboratory skills) was strong enough at the time of graduating. My first year was spent as an R&D chemist synthesizing infrared absorbing dyes and optimizing our reaction formulations, as well as production. My more recent experience (which just ended) was spent analyzing precious metal/moisture content in samples. The experience was a well-rounded mix of bench chemistry, instrumentation experience, and R&D. The manager of my laboratory put together a great recommendation vouching for my Chemistry skills, but I'm still unsure how my unorthodox career might look to an Admissions Committee. No publications, unfortunately.

The year as an R&D chemist will be looked at very favorably. The position as an analytical chemist is also a positive, I think, as it still demonstrates bench skills and you do say there was some R&D. The lack of publications isn't a great hit, after all, industrial chemists don't publish nearly as often, there's the desire to keep everything in house instead of public.

As for the recommendation, a manager is a good one to get. Academics are preferred, but at the same time one from an industrial scientist does carry a fair bit of weight and it is good to have one from your time in industry. I just wouldn't recommend more than the one unless you are several years out of undergrad.

1) What are my chances at getting into at least one of these listed universities: Penn State, Rutgers University, Boston College, Stony Brook University, Princeton University, or Columbia University? I do have references at both Rutgers and Stony Brook (not POI's, but other individuals important to the University), but not well enough that I'd regard either as guaranteed.

I can't help you there, sorry.

2) What methods would you all recommend to prepare in the mean time while waiting to see regarding interviews and acceptances, etc? I have more than a few grad level text books which I've purchased since graduating that I do pick my way through regularly.

I think at this point if you've already applied just doing something to keep you busy is sufficient. If you haven't applied yet another R&D or analytical job should be enough.

3) Are there any free methods of accessing research publications? I'm often told how important it is to keep up on relevant literature, but I don't have many financially viable means of doing so (to my knowledge).

There are some open-access journals such as PloSOne, otherwise patents are free to view. Google scholar will also point to free pdfs when one is available.

4) I've heard different things regarding how industry experience is regarded for PhD applicants. Some have told me that it makes grad students able to function more independently, but I've heard others say that unless it's entirely research focused, it will be viewed negatively.

Industrial research is seen as a positive, and you appear to have it. Non-research jobs are a step down, but if you're still doing something science related they're a net positive. I don't think your path will hurt you.