Anyone else apply to CalTech's C+MS Program?

@sisyphus1: I'm a CS undergrad (international) from not a well known college. Around 11 years of industry experience (system software startup founding member, acquired by a big tech company)

Got an email a couple of days ago from a professor I mentioned in my SOP setting up an interview on campus in early February. The email emphasized that no admission decision had been made so I don't know how the interview relates to acceptance.

Excited and nervous! The professor I mentioned does some of the most interesting work I saw across all of my applications. 

Edited by pascal_barbots_wager

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, there was an interview/visit day on campus for a few dozen CMS/CS/Control/Applied Math applicants - I get the sense the program you applied for wasn't really relevant, and they were instead looking to admit whoever looked like they might fit somewhere in the department - about a week ago. I think a few more were interviewed via Skype because they couldn't travel. They said they would send decisions within a few weeks.

Yes, there was an interview/visit day on campus for a few dozen CMS/CS/Control/Applied Math applicants - I get the sense the program you applied for wasn't really relevant, and they were instead looking to admit whoever looked like they might fit somewhere in the department - about a week ago. I think a few more were interviewed via Skype because they couldn't travel. They said they would send decisions within a few weeks.

I have been asked to interview via skype for their control program (CDS) since I am an international student. Any pointers as to what it was like - was it just an informal discussion about research, or did they test you on related topics? My interview is on 23rd, so I really hope they don't send out offers before then :P 

Also, any idea how many control students interviewed, and how many they are likely to pick?

I have been asked to interview via skype for their control program (CDS) since I am an international student. Any pointers as to what it was like - was it just an informal discussion about research, or did they test you on related topics? My interview is on 23rd, so I really hope they don't send out offers before then :P

Also, any idea how many control students interviewed, and how many they are likely to pick?

At least for the professors I talked to it was a relaxed discussion of my research, their research, and what the department was like overall. You should know your own research and have some idea of theirs, but the whole thing felt pretty low-pressure. That may vary by whom you talk to though. No idea on the numbers of interviewed/accepted.

Yes, I had a Skype interview and attended the interview weekend.

When did you have the Skype interview and visit? I have my Skype interview scheduled for 23rd, and I am freaking out a bit since they have started giving out admits even before talking to students. I applied to the CDS program through, but I would assume its the same set of faculty who evaluate applications.

When did you have the Skype interview and visit? I have my Skype interview scheduled for 23rd, and I am freaking out a bit since they have started giving out admits even before talking to students. I applied to the CDS program through, but I would assume its the same set of faculty who evaluate applications.

The impression I got from visit day was that being accepted is very dependent on fitting with some particular faculty member(s) rather than making it past a committee, and that acceptances would be sent out as they're made. So maybe a couple of professors have decided they like some students and sent those acceptances, but others are still deciding. And maybe some of those admitted students opt to go elsewhere and then they look at different students. It seemed like a pretty personal process.

Any updates? I had a short interview a couple days back, and I am absolutely clueless about how it went. Also saw a CDS admit post on the board, so I guess they have made their decisions  :unsure:

It's not clear how many people they're accepting and in which areas, so until I hear an actual rejection I'm keeping an open mind. Again, I don't think it's a one-round-of-acceptances thing.

It's not clear how many people they're accepting and in which areas, so until I hear an actual rejection I'm keeping an open mind. Again, I don't think it's a one-round-of-acceptances thing.

Yes, I believe what you are saying is true. I was informally told that they expect a class size of 4-5 students for CDS and 9-10 students for CMS, but its fairly easy to switch between the two. I would expect that they give out around 1.5 times these number of offers in many windows, and are likely to interview may be twice these number of people. I only hope those who are not taking Caltech's offer tell them soon, and with a bit of luck, I guess the chance of being accepted after interview is close to 75%. Any idea how many turned up for the in-person interview?

Yes, I believe what you are saying is true. I was informally told that they expect a class size of 4-5 students for CDS and 9-10 students for CMS, but its fairly easy to switch between the two. I would expect that they give out around 1.5 times these number of offers in many windows, and are likely to interview may be twice these number of people. I only hope those who are not taking Caltech's offer tell them soon, and with a bit of luck, I guess the chance of being accepted after interview is close to 75%. Any idea how many turned up for the in-person interview?

I want to say there were maybe 20 people for CMS specifically and 10 people for the other programs under the CMS umbrella (Applied Math, CS, etc.). No idea on the number interviewed remotely.